driving impressions....

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guys
ive owned a couple gen 3s and i currently own a gen 4.
im thinking of getting a gts maybe a 2000 and was wondering what your driving impressions are of them.
obviously ive never driven a gen 2.
i would use it as a weekend toy.
also interested in modding the car as much as i can while still keeping it streetable. n/a upgrades, no s/c.
thanks guys, any info would be appreciated.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to modify it for more power or for handling?

Do you want ABS or the forged pistons?

I love my GenII, it's a classic Viper body style for sure!

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i do like the forged pistons of the earlier models and havent narrowed down a particular year, but i imagine the characteristics of the car in general are very similar between 98-02.
havent really decided any specifics, im open to s/c but might want to go n/a, and i would probably do handling/braking mods.
just wanted to get an idea of what to expect. i know they are a bit more raw than the gen3/4.
i should just go drive a couple, and i will, but wanted to hear what you folks said first.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Creampuff 2000 that was modded for road course racing, no forged, no abs it was a fun unforgiving car. Latest car I've experience is a Gen IV ACR. No Mods the difference was night and day all I did was put on a track alignment and in stock trim it beat my modded Gen II around Willow Springs by 6 seconds, stock tires for stock tires. If your driving a Gen IV now I don't think you will be impressed with a Gen II.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't beat the looks of a GTS, but SoCal is right... you won't be impressed with the performance compared to a Gen IV.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II RT/10 is fun to drive. Open cockpit, but the seats are nowhere close in comfort to the Gen IIIs. For a weekend cruiser, a Gen II RT/10 is tough to beat.

I love the looks of the GTS, but prefer the open feel of the RT/10.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gen 2 and 3, love them both but their very diffrent. as far as POWER imo the gen 2 will NOT disappoin compared to the gen 3, but as CEJ said the fit and finish such as seats NO WAY, gen 3 hands down

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really like my 1996 Gen II GTS. It's more of a GT than the Gen IV cars. Outside of preferring the lines of the car, I find it more comfortable on long drives. I left the 17" wheels on the car which definately makes for a smoother ride compared to super low profile tires.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say get one and have fun with it, you already own a Gen IV which is certainly superior. The Gen II's are much more unrefined and old school, I think you'll enjoy having both. I love my 2000, it's modded has a proper idle and is very angry. I'd love a Gen IV to compliment it...............maybe someday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2fxU4Xny2k

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
guys, i never asked which one is faster, though it seems the modded ones are making great power. and it would seem to me the gen2 is easier to mod?
how is the roadfeel? how is the steering? does the cockpit get really hot? is the a/c adequate?
is the throttle direct linkage, because i HATE drive by wire or whatever they call it.
what are some problem areas if any that i should look out for or be ready to mod?

i realize driving impressions may be vague.
thanks for the replies and cool vid, camfab!

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven a 98 GTS (put on about 1,500 miles) and have an 03. The GTS seemed more like a old muscle car. The steering and braking were much looser then the Gen. III. In addition, the GTS gave the illusion that it had a lot more power, when you hit the gas due to the throttle response making the acceration appear to suddenly kick in, which made it seem funner to drive. The 03 feels smoother and more modern.

For the weekend car to bang around town in, I think you would enjoy it!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it would seem to me the gen2 is easier to mod?
Gen 2 is easy to mod. Dunno if it's easier than Gen 3 or 4

how is the roadfeel?
Feels like a sports car.

how is the steering?
Precise

does the cockpit get really hot?
I'm in Florida. It's hot here. I can't tell the difference between the heat in my Viper and the heat in my pickup truck.

is the a/c adequate?
It was when it was working. I gotta get around to fixing mine sometime.

is the throttle direct linkage, because i HATE drive by wire or whatever they call it.
Yes, it is direct. There is a rubber grommet in the firewall that can get old and pull through. However there is a simple mod with a washer that will make it last forever.

I hate drive by wire too. Write your congressman and tell them to leave all the nannies off the sports cars.

what are some problem areas if any that i should look out for or be ready to mod?
Depends on the mod. IMO the steering wheel pulley should be at the top of your list regardless of your goals. And while you're doing the pulley you might as well do the bracket and put a fresh high pressure line in.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fun factor goes to the GTS hands down but I'd love to have a Gen4 too... Several people that have owned both told me that the GTS feels every bit as fast if not faster even though it isn't.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Vipers are a blast to drive. They share the same DNA with a front/mid V-10 engine, 6 speed, and huge tires.

The earlier cars have a special appeal. They cost less, have beautiful curves, and some have a rough idle that is very desirable.

They did not have great engine cooling, brakes, air conditioning, side window sealing. Warranties are mostly gone, and parts such as hoods and side pods have gotten very expensive. They are difficult to finance, but have pretty stable values with most of the depreciation already taken.

On a race track they are not competitive with the later cars and can be up to 200 hp down on the Gen IV's. Still their performance is pretty stout for street use.

Hard to go wrong with any Viper. As with most exotics buy the best example of the year you wish. If you want a track car, buy a track car. Save you a ton, and someone else has done all the work.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 2 2000 GTS and a 09 Gen IV coupe. The Gen IV is more refined as far as appointments in the interior and better with windows seals body panel fit. I drive it when it is long distance travel or need cooler a/c. But I still find myself driving the GTS more. I is like a high powered go kart with a raucus motor and it sure gets more looks than the Gen IV. The iconic shape is instantly recognizable by the masses and that is a cool factor as well. What amazes me is people still ask if the GTS is new, when I tell them it just had it's 11th birthday they totally freak. That is itself tells me it is a timeless design. Drove it to taco bell late last night and the drive through attendant had still not seen one in person yet. I need to trade somebody a GTS for a rt-10 to round out the stable and have a summer cruiser.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I still find myself driving the GTS more. I is like a high powered go kart with a raucus motor and it sure gets more looks than the Gen IV. The iconic shape is instantly recognizable by the masses and that is a cool factor as well. What amazes me is people still ask if the GTS is new,

I get asked if my 98 GTS is new all the time too. Totally agree on the raucus go kart thing too and in fact I was going to say that in my original post in this thread. I pulled up behind a mustard yellow new GT500 convertible and the driver went right off the road trying to video tape me with his phone while I was behind him. He went right over those noise grooves and into the dirt and just saved it.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the gen 1 and 2 are more of a rough, basic type car, FAST,looks and thats about it, A/C ***** as well, but OMG its just an amazing car anyway lol

in fact I think im going to buy a gen 1 soon

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say get one and have fun with it, you already own a Gen IV which is certainly superior. The Gen II's are much more unrefined and old school, I think you'll enjoy having both. I love my 2000, it's modded has a proper idle and is very angry. I'd love a Gen IV to compliment it...............maybe someday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2fxU4Xny2k
DAMN Cam, your car sounds Awesome. It's definitely one of (if not the best) sounding Vipers I've ever heard. jmo

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys....
im starting to lean towards a 99 for the forged internals, though im not sure how important that is. i AM interested in modding, but not to the point where the cost is prohibitive or especially to the point where the car isnt enjoyable as a street car.
not sure what the mod progression is on a gen 2 or what you get for how much $.
im also leaning towards a 99 acr, but not sure if the upcharge is worth it. im not a collector.
that said, a 2001 isnt out of the question either. itll probably come down to whats available when im ready to buy.
also, i wont be keeping the gen 4 i have.
i need to free up some money. :(

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DAMN Cam, your car sounds Awesome. It's definitely one of (if not the best) sounding Vipers I've ever heard. jmo

I agree, that cam is very nice for sound....probably great for power as well. Nicely done.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trade your gen 4 for my modded gen 2 with lots of goodies...

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A guy in our region bought a ratty gts. Ended up with stop tech big brakes. Springs. Good track set up. Strong built N/A motor. Engine,trans mounts etc. Gears. With sticky tires he out brakes,corners and pulls on stock gen 4 ACR. Yes. Probably in his late 60's and a very good driver. Creates a lot of long faces on the gen-4 acr guys. If he ever decides to wash it of course it will beat them with looks too. GTS Bruce

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Has anyone ever told you that you sound like David Cross? Great idle.

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guys,
i drove a 2000 roadster and thoroughly loved it. granted, its not nearly as fast as what im used to, but taking the brute power out of the equation, i think it might be a funner car to drive on the street.
the car was at my local porsche dealer and it had 5100 miles and was perfect, all stock. they were asking 40k.
seemed like a great deal to me but i really prefer the gts to the roadster.
a couple of things....
i knew the power would be down and i know that can be worked with, no biggie. i would have preferred a little tighter steering. the suspension being what it is, the car doesnt like anything except a perfectly smooth road. i felt like i had to stand on the brakes. :)
last thing is the brake and gas pedal are too far apart as i like to use the side of my foot to heel and toe shift. i guess id have to really use my heel and toe.
that said the overall driving experience was awesome.
looking around at some of the prices, i think prices are a bit high from dealers, but after i move my car ill look a little more serious.
questions...
how much hp does full headers/exhaust/intake add and do you guys recommend gears? how do the front end bushing kits help the car?
thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
one more dumb question....
are the final editions just white stripes and a plaque?
thanks