DUMP CLUTCH AT 5,000 RPMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MGWLTD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rant on :mad:

i recently bought into all the hype with the 996TT a few months ago when i traded my srt10 for a new 2003 porsche turbo. i figured the car had to be a monster with these 11.9 1/4 mile times. well let me tell you the car was just not all that and it only took 3 1/2 weeks to get rid of it for a SLOW 2002 final edtion GTS.

well now i know why . it the recent ROAD AND TRACK mag with the 0-100-0 comparo where the 996 turbo beat the srt10 they said they had to dump the clutch at 5,000 rpms to get those numbers!!!!

WHO IT THEIR RIGHT MIND ( OR LEFT OR MIDDLE MIND FOR THAT MATTER :confused: )
WOULD DUMP THE CLUTCH ON AN ALL WHEEL DRIVE 120K CAR AT THOSE ENGINE SPEEDS!!!

certainly not an owner that wants to keep the car working for any amount of time. that is the big problem with magazine comparos. they do not have to own the car!!!

and on the inverse, the viper can repeat its numbers over and over and over. i took my old rt10 to the drag strip and literally circled around and around clocking low to mid 12s ALL FREAKIN DAY!!!! tell me how many 5,000 rpms dumps you will get outta the 996tt????

rant off

have a good day :D

george

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, my buddy got almost 50,000 miles out of the clutch in his 993TT with atleast 50-60 dragstrip passes, repeatedly dumping the clutch at 5000+rpm. So far his best time is 12.00@113mph in a stock 1996 400hp Turbo.

I recently test drove a Srt and a 996Tt, and found the Porsche to be a much better car. I wouldnt buy neither, but for the money, buy a used 993TT or Viper Gts.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I read that article too. What a bunch of crap. Did you notice that the Viper had a .2 second longer transistion time than the 996TT? What is that....how long the driver took to go from the go pedal to the brake pedal? Note also that Road and Track is a french owned company. How surprising that the european car won. Kind of like the Nurburgring 24 race this year where they penalized the Viper 5 laps (and then 5 laps more for a total of 10 laps since it was still running ahead of the porsches) for not running with a 25% smaller fuel tank than the 700 hp "factory" porsches, audis, opels and bmws so it would not win for the third year in a row. The VIPER finished fifth 9 laps down! Obviously, the VIPER would have won by at least a lap without the germans "fixing" the race. Yes, the germans are great at "engineering" a victory ie. cheating! BTW, I'm not renewing my french owned R&T subscription. :usa: The french and germans **** and so do their cars.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Actually, my buddy got almost 50,000 miles out of the clutch in his 993TT with atleast 50-60 dragstrip passes, repeatedly dumping the clutch at 5000+rpm. So far his best time is 12.00@113mph in a stock 1996 400hp Turbo.

I recently test drove a Srt and a 996Tt, and found the Porsche to be a much better car. I wouldnt buy neither, but for the money, buy a used 993TT or Viper Gts.

Why do you own the slow cars in your sig? :confused:

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you own the slow cars in your sig?

HaHa. You gonna take that?

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that Road and Track is an extremely arrogant magazine. Always have, always will. I'd like to get a boycott of them going in automotive circles. I don't know any American car owners (read:Vipers OR Corvettes) who feel that their American marquee gets a fair shake from those European elitist types. I say quit reading R & T.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seen many articles that compare cars that are in very different classes. It's not fair to compare the SRT to a car that is much more expensive, has all wheel drive, or rear engine set up. I know there are benefits to these things as well as a few drawbacks. I think dollar for dollar, the SRT is much more car, and I really can appreciate German technolagy, as I have owned many German cars, I'm also aware they can over engineer a car in ways that make you wonder. The clutch issue about dumping the clutch at such high rpm, well it has such a strong traction factor and like the Viper is a bit tall on the gearing, a race is a race. I just don't like it when people can't compare apples to apples. I'm sure the SRT will dust the high end Porsche from a rolling start, with ease. I've had several Porsches, and no one seems to care, thats worth something. I just love it when people think you got the coolest car ever made.

Skip White

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still read R&T for Peter Egan's 'Side Glances'.

Sometimes they are just a touch biased but I rarely give much credit to magazine car reviews anyhow (R&T or anyone). It's just useful as a general matrix and a good way to see some often decent pics of various cars...

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
R&t is not as bad as motor trend, those morons compared the new M3 with the Z06 in which the Z06 trounced the beamer in every single performance category to give the tittle of Best "Performance" sports car to the m3 for having a back seat :rolleyes: Needless to say I cancelled my subscription right after that article.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the only magazines I read is the DuPont Registry. You get bad @ss pics of exotic cars and theres no BS article about how this dingy little car beat this rare exotic (or whatever) :D .

Austin

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why can't Dodge market itself better to the rest of the world - seems a few strategic friendships would make for better press...

If I were Dodge I'd put my own article(s) together, with independently verified figures etc and pay to have them printed in the mags - all you want is a few key words and concepts, then figures and pictures to match and then get eyeballs on paper. I do not see any effective marketing from Dodge in the magazines - am I alone here?

Even their pickups now have real grunt - was driving my 8 seater home last night and got dorked at full throttle by this Ram truck towing a light trailer. I might as well have been standing still.... He started from a stop behind me and it was a one horse race... I could just point and laugh as it roared past and pulled away. There is no ricer pickup that can do that.... and a Ford Lightning costs a lot more.

The Viper deserves much better press and it's up to DC to make sure it gets it. As for a 5000rpm dump - that's what they do.... Lambo's do not like it - their agricultural boxes hate it... crunch!! Skyline's need it and love it - 6000rpm is the norm - and at that they will propel you across the intersection like a catapault, but their roll on would look stupid alongside a Vipers! Maybe the roll on test should be given more press!

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that dollar for dollar the Viper Srt beats the Porsche in performance. But comparing them both, side by side, the quality of the Porsche is far superior.

As for the Viper being the coolest car on earth, well, i disagree, especially with the new SRT. The older Gts has stunning good looks, but the new look leaves alot to be desired, with most people likening it to a overgrown S2000.

As for why i own the slow cars in my signature, i have a simple reply, "because i can".

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to hang out on the Porsche board and nearly all the 911TT owners were very affraid of high rpm clutch drops due to the strengh of (or lack of) the trasmission. I remember one thread where they jumped all over one owner for suggesting it. In the real world very few 911TT owners would try it, particularly since most in my area seem to be over 55!
I have never found a Porsche that would even pull up even to me at a stop light, let alone run against me. Except for one woman in a Boxster S and that is a really short story.....

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I agree that dollar for dollar the Viper Srt beats the Porsche in performance. But comparing them both, side by side, the quality of the Porsche is far superior.

As for the Viper being the coolest car on earth, well, i disagree, especially with the new SRT. The older Gts has stunning good looks, but the new look leaves alot to be desired, with most people likening it to a overgrown S2000.

As for why i own the slow cars in my signature, i have a simple reply, "because i can".

Poser...." All dollars and no sense ".

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that right Devildog? You think the Viper is the end all of cardom? Keep dreaming buddy. There are Porsches that will destroy you, and i wouldnt be too worried about running you in the Lambo. There are lots of modified Lotus's out there also that will show your 650R their taillights. The 355 may be slow, but 9 out of 10 people would choose it over your Viper anyday.

Next time your out in your Hennescrewed Viper, drive on down to Arizona, and ill show you whos king.

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
re::: the quality of the Porsche is far superior.

Is that a fact...

Let me tell you about the far superior quality of the last Porsche Turbo I had..

It leaked oil like the valdez with only 15K miles on it...Had NUMEROUS electrical glitches and if that wasn't enough the great Porsche techs could not figure out why the car absolutely wreaked of gas inside all the time...Nothing better than smelling like premium everywhere you go...

Needless to say the car was promptly dumped...Now my lowly Viper on the other hand had no problems at all...Go figure...

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup - I've seen a couple of hot Lotus TT V8's tuned to the max - they were really quick too until they grenaded or caught fire... which happened to both.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Scs, im sorry you had a bad experience with your Porsche, but just because you had a bad experience doesnt mean everyone else does. You only need to look through this forum to find many problems occuring with Vipers. This does not make them all bad cars.

Same goes for Lotus, you may know of some that have blown up, so do i, and i know of plenty Vipers that have blown up.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the only magazines I read is the DuPont Registry. You get bad @ss pics of exotic cars and theres no BS article about how this dingy little car beat this rare exotic (or whatever) :D .

Oh come on now...Dupont is great, but it's hardly a "read"...it's more like Penthouse for car guys! :p

I must admit though, I buy "a" Dupont every 3 to 6 months. And I do so when my wife isn't looking...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that right Devildog? You think the Viper is the end all of cardom? Keep dreaming buddy. There are Porsches that will destroy you, and i wouldnt be too worried about running you in the Lambo. There are lots of modified Lotus's out there also that will show your 650R their taillights. The 355 may be slow, but 9 out of 10 people would choose it over your Viper anyday.

Next time your out in your Hennescrewed Viper, drive on down to Arizona, and ill show you whos king.

and there are Vipers that will destroy Porsches/Lambos/Lotus etc so whats your point and alot of them are near stock.....When you modify cars the whole equation changes...Any car can win with those variables..........Is your Lambo modded???It would need to be to handle a 650R.....Theres alway a condesending tone in all your posts about the Viper....Even when you try to give a half assed compliment you cant help yourself but throw in some kind of slam.....The Viper is a "decent" car :rolleyes: Riiiight....there are alot of guys with money just like you that own Vipers...they could just as easily own a Lambo or whatnot........Your posts are always entertaining though :smirk:

nitro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the Viper returns to Lemans to destroy all Gts competitiors in at least on season until someone whines "that's not fair" and they find a way to slow the viper down. Devildog, I watched the Nurburgring 24 and had to change stations when they started that BS!

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakebitten, your post makes alot of sense, and i dont mean to come off as condesending. I do truly like the Viper, but it was Devildogs stupid comment that set me off.

Btw, yes my Diablo is modded, otherwise, i know that a 650R would beat me.

I like all cars, and they each have individual merits, but when someone like Devildog posts things like this "engineering" a victory ie. cheating! BTW, I'm not renewing my french owned R&T subscription. The french and germans **** and so do their cars", it truly shows his complete and total ignorance.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Snakebitten, your post makes alot of sense, and i dont mean to come off as condesending. I do truly like the Viper, but it was Devildogs stupid comment that set me off.

Btw, yes my Diablo is modded, otherwise, i know that a 650R would beat me.

I like all cars, and they each have individual merits, but when someone like Devildog posts things like this "engineering" a victory ie. cheating! BTW, I'm not renewing my french owned R&T subscription. The french and germans **** and so do their cars", it truly shows his complete and total ignorance.

If you think the germans ran a fair race at the N24 then you are an idiot! They did "engineer" ie. cheat and fix the race instead of engineering a car that can really beat the VIPER.
Go talk your trash on the porsche/lambo/lotus boards. Funny you visiting the VIPER board all the time. I don't care enough about eurotrash cars to even visit those boards. BTW, I hope your lambo is very modded if you think you're going to beat my 650R. If you're lucky the wheels may even stay on that thing. :rolleyes:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Allen,

You have some nice looking cars, but as far as track proven performance, well....... How can I put this? The American muscle (Viper + Z06) will dominate. I don't base this opinion on any magazine, etc..., but real life track events. Just look at events like the Open Track Challenge, and One Lap of America. Not to mention the grass roots racing that goes on in the good 'ole USA. These two cars are always at the front, when it comes to production automobiles. This has not always been the case, but since the introduction of the GTS and Z06, nothing Lambo, Ferrari (minus F40, F50, Enzo - not really production cars IMHO), or Lotus produces can touch them on a road course. I've seen it time & time again... Beautiful cars, but....

Now Porsche does have 2 awesome track cars right up there with the Viper & Z06. The GT2 and GT3. The standard TT does not do so well, from what I've seen. Maybe the extra weight of the AWD hurts + upsets the balance of a road racing car. Now in the rain it will dominate, but who races in the rain anyway...

My .02

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And just to jump on the bandwagon =P

Show me someone who says a Porsche (GT, TT, 911, 996, Boxster, whatever) is more exotic or gets more "looks" than any Viper (RT, GTS, SRT) and I'll show you a Porsche fanboy or owner. Most laypeople can't tell the difference between a boxster and a 911 these days with the nearly identical front-ends.

I had 2 friends that used to own 911's (96/97 varieties) and we went out to the track one day and neither of them could beat my bone stock 1996 Vette LT-4 in the 1/4. They left cussing at the end of the day about how a $30K car was showing up their $70K+ marvels of German engineering.

Hey, who wouldn't take any of them if someone was passing them out for free, but, for my money, the Viper is the best high performance exotic car on the market dollar for dollar. Ferraris and Lambos are plenty exotic, and maybe if I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy one. But I bet the owners get pissed when they take them out to the track and their $150-$200K+ car can't shake a meager $90K Viper.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on my seventh Viper, not because I think they are so well put together, or because they out drive every car out there. I just like the looks of the car, not to mention most others out there love it. The power is there with the Viper, kind of cheap to upgrade, and simple at that, compared to euro cars. Thumbs up car to most people. Porsche is great for those that really like what they intended for you to like about the car. They build a car very porposfully. Dodge has done well, and being they have never made a dime on the car, due to low production numbers, its hard to say you've been had, and I'm sure of this.

Is this what we were talking about??? or was it something to do with clutches?????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960