EBC Brake Pad Painting-What Kind of Paint to Use?

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read several old post about painting the EBC brake pads, but have not read what paint you guys used. I have some 900 degree VHT brake and caliper paint. Will that work for the pads? I have the EBC greens and thought it would look kind of stupid showing thru the calipers. I also plan on painting the calipers red.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the paint on my pads charred and peeling.
You must be registered for see images

Caliper lettering kind of a dull brownish-orange.

I like sqeaky brake pads and wheels covered with black brake dust.

That way, I know they are working.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:
I like the paint on my pads charred and peeling. Caliper lettering kind of a dull brownish-orange. I like sqeaky brake pads and wheels covered with black brake dust. That way, I know they are working.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
Dean.

Sean, for posing VHT should work. Maybe Vipermad can chime in here? I think he wet sands them with 1200, polishes them with 3M and finishes them off with the Zaino treatment.
laugh.gif

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I am a self-admitted poser. My racing is confined to only a few drag race events a year. Although my calipers are a brownish orange and the caliper lettering brown from the previous owner. Oh well, hey I want it to look pretty so I want to paint it all red. Bought some Eradispeed cross-drilled and slotted rotors too to add to the posing. Went to the local Ferrari dealer and those cars sure look sweet with the cross-drilled rotors and red calipers. I have read the cross-drilled rotors won't hold up at the track for road racing and such, but I don't plan to do any of that for fear of wrecking the car and insurance not paying for it.

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The high temp VHT black works fine for a street car if you want to get rid of that nice bright green look on the pads. pete

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vipermad:
Each time I move I get closer and closer to you and the POSER might rub off!!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe racing will rub off on you?

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Duplicolor paint that matched the valve colors and it worked O.K. The rear pads get fused to the calipers pretty good when painted, and I doubt I'll paint the next pair.

Sean, were you crusin' down 8 mile in Novi yesterday? I saw a Viper very similar to yours, coincidentally shortly after seeing Brett in his car driving down Orchard lake near the Ferrari Dealer. You guys were out at about the same time I think. I yelled at Brett but since I wasn't in my car, I think he thought I was your average Viper fan and he gave me the standard directionless wave
smile.gif

I tried catching up to you, but that was wasn't going to happen in my SUV.

OP
OP
M

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shifter:
I used the Duplicolor paint that matched the valve colors and it worked O.K. The rear pads get fused to the calipers pretty good when painted, and I doubt I'll paint the next pair.

Sean, were you crusin' down 8 mile in Novi yesterday? I saw a Viper very similar to yours, coincidentally shortly after seeing Brett in his car driving down Orchard lake near the Ferrari Dealer. You guys were out at about the same time I think. I yelled at Brett but since I wasn't in my car, I think he thought I was your average Viper fan and he gave me the standard directionless wave
smile.gif

I tried catching up to you, but that was wasn't going to happen in my SUV.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, that wasn't me. I was last out on Sunday and in Novi, but was around the 12 Oaks Mall area. Didn't make it down as far as 8 mile. We'll have to meet up one of these days. Was Brett eyeing a new Ferrari? I stop by Cauley Ferrari from time to time to check out what one of my future cars will be.
supergrin.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vipermad:
I've been practicing in private saying "I have 2 Vipers" and I think I have it down!!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The trick is to have other people say it about you.
smile.gif

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding the painted rear pads fusing to the pistons... Would it be possible to mask off the piston contact area and paint outboard only?

I guess the paint can't act like an insulator and keep a modicum of heat from the pistons?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang