EBC Brakes

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had EBC Greens put on my 95 and not only do they leave alot more breakdust which I knew they would but they squeal like a stuck pig! Does anyone else have problems with them squealing really bad when they are brand new???

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put a pair on this past summer and have no squealing at all. The dust is bad though. Did you have the rotors turned before putting on the new pads?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
less dusting for me with them and no squeeling at all. but this time around JOnB talked me into a different pad from EBC...i think it is ceramic

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Having had good results on Vipers with in regards to less dust and NO squeal using the 2001-2 era EBC Greenstuff pads for street use, I understand that they have changed the compound on the current Greenstuff...AND the current Redstuff...noting that JonB recommended that I go with the Redstuff ceramic pads for our SRT-10.

You might want to read the info at the GreatBrakes site in the link provided for a better/fuller explanation:

http://greatbrakes.com/index.html?lmd=39017.332442

If you then explore the same site's "FAQ" section, be aware that the caution listed for Redstuff pads for use on highways seems to be a leftover from the original Redstuff info...but CALL them to be sure!!!!

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They told me they scuffed the rotors. That they didnt need to be turned.

After finding out it only cost about $10 per rotor to have them turned, I took mine to the local shop to have done before putting the new ebc green's on. When I picked the rotors up the shop said they(not sure if only one of them or more) had a cup in them. Not sure why or how but it was a good thing I had them turned.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id never do brakes without atleast turing them. on the viper, i just assume replace them all together. its just cheap insurance.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the link above, re: EBC Reds:

"They deliver strong stopping power, but still emit far less dust than OEM factory pads. In fact, Redstuff now offers the LEAST amount of dust possible in all the EBC ranges."

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turning or scuffing is needed to prevent the squealing. I put greens on mine, and the squealing subsided, but did not end. I bought the 3M brake disc set, scuffed the rotors real well, and NO MORE SQUEALING!!! Now got to do my other car....

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the EBC Reds for my Viper but Jon told me they were not available for my SRT 10 so got the Greens for it. Not a good pad. No difference from the stock pads as far as I can see.

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
now I'm confused...
I'm a sophomore Viper owner, and have been following the various brake threads this past year. The information posted led me to purchase a set of EBC greens last year. I bought them based on all the positive response they received from the various members. I haven't put them on my vehicle yet, but since the purchase, I've been getting the impression that they are not as good as everyone claims. The first indication of this was when I was inquiring about participating in the Viperdays event, and was told by their technician (Tom Sessions) that EBC greens are not allowed on the track because of their performance (or lack thereof). This has been further confirmed by the various posts on the subject. Now I'm not sure if these pads are any good for the car? I've been of the opinion that OEM parts are way overpriced compared to aftermarket equivalents, but am starting to believe otherwise???

So after all this said, what pads offer the best bang for your buck? $200/set for OEM brake pads seems excessive, when there are other options made from more exotic materials that claim to have superior stopping power, along with better dust/fade characteristics. Am I wrong?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after all this said, what pads offer the best bang for your buck? $200/set for OEM brake pads seems excessive, when there are other options made from more exotic materials that claim to have superior stopping power, along with better dust/fade characteristics. Am I wrong?

"Bang for you buck" for brake pads? I think you mean general use street/track maybe? For my track GTS I pay over $300 for fronts only so I don't think $200 is excessive. I think EBCs were under $100.

There has yet to be a terrific stopping power pad with minimal dust and squeal. You get one or the other.

Since installing my EBC greens on my street Viper a while back I understand EBC has changed the compound. The EBCs I have are fine for the street if you don't drive like you're trying to win a race everytime you get in the car. My EBCs don't dust, maybe the new compound does. Contact www.GreatBrakes.for info.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased the greens last summer also and didn't find out until later that they changed the compound and they now do not have less dust than OEM. I wish I'd have saved my $ and left the OEM pads on.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohiodoc:

3M Automotive Products (3M 1410) Roloc2 Brake Rotor Surface Conditioning Discs
I got mine at NAPA. Here is a link to Amazon. All you need is a drill and this kit. Works great. Wish I had known about this years ago. Really cleans up the rotors. I also used Disc Quiet. PM me if you want to know more.

http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Products-Roloc2-Surface-Conditioning/dp/B000GTMIDC

Re: EBC Greens: see http://www.ebcbrakes.com/trackday&race.html
or http://www.k300performance.co.uk/ebc-brake-pads.htm

As you can see, the greens are for "fast road" driving, not racing. They are quieter than stock, and stop as well or better than stock for normal road use. I don't find that they are low dust, but my car was squealing like you know what, and the greens with a good clean rotor stopped that.

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Remove the pads and spray the back of them with brake quiet, that should solve your squealing problem. I've never known the squealing to come from the pads contacting the rotor.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay01m: I would have agreed with you before my Viper. But I did use a vib dampener like brake quiet, and it did not work with my Viper. I agree that it might work, but it's a lot of work to remove the pads and might as well get the rotors spotless at that time.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Got the EBC Reds for my Viper but Jon told me they were not available for my SRT 10..........

KEN !! They are READILY AVAILABLE now, and our top-seller of EBC line

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm still ticked about the change in EBC compound. My set are perfect, low dust no squealing with 3M kit to scuff rotors. My dad's were the new compound and I don't know what they are good for because they dust like crazy.

ViperBing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of the older EBC greens. Almost no dust or squealing, but their stopping power is marginal at best. I think my ****** daily driver will stop quicker than the older greens will.

What is a good, street brake pad, that will actually stop the car? I don't mind a little dust, but preferably less than the stock pads.

From what I have read, it seems like the Brakeman 3's or maybe the new EBC reds are the two best choices?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a set of the older EBC greens. Almost no dust or squealing, but their stopping power is marginal at best. I think my ****** daily driver will stop quicker than the older greens will.
Thats strange - I bought four sets of EBC Greens front pads back in the 1999-2000 timeframe, and all I've used so far have definitely had more stopping power than the stock pads that were on my '95 and '00 Vipers; on the order of something like 50% more stopping power, with better braking at the limit before lockup with commensurate better autocross times, as I wasn't locking them up as easily.