Electrical Gremlins back

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2003 SRT10 and am very happy with the car except for a few things. Several months back I had the Recall done for the flickering headlights and the hesitation in the acceleration. That seemed to have taken care of the problem until last night. I was driving home and it was time to turn on the lights. I turned the knob and nothing except a lot of flashing of my dash lights. I turned them off and on again and the lights would come on but flicker badly then they would go off. I did this a number of times with the same results. Finally I flicked on the high beams and then back to low and this seemed to have cured it this time.

I thought, oh well, back to the dealer again for another re flash, although there should be a permanent fix as this is a dangerous problem. Anyway, took the car out today and after it warmed up I was running through the gears up to about 5k rpm. I shifted to second but in between the shift the engine died instantly, tach dropped to zero. I let out the clutch and the engine restarted, no problem. I did this again and same result. I made my way home and in the driveway I ran the motor up to 4500 rpm and it died completely, tach dropped to zero. I restarted the car and tried it again and again, same results. It seems like the rev limiter set itself to 4500 rpm now but again the engine dies completely unless you are moving and let out the clutch.

Strange thing is that if you are accellerating "briskly" the engine will go past the 4500 like normal but the second you let off to shift it dies.

Anyone have anything similar? I am calling DC Performance tomorrow to get the car in.

Thanks.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just about to post a 'reflicker' topic! Same thing: re-flash a while back. No issues until about three weeks ago. Driving home at 2:00am I went to turn on the high beams and the lights went out instead. Maybe I turned the switch slightly while pulling it? Nah. This Saturday night, again 2:00am on the interstate as soon as I hit the turn signal, no lights. hmmm. This morning sitting still in the carport....lights on, lights off. Then I noticed three more flickers on the 5 minute drive to work! One wasn't a flicker, it was 'lights out' for 10 seconds. So I too will go back to the dealer for another fix. I will not drive it at night. Just imagine the questions from the cops: "Sir, did you know you were flashing your headlights at me?" Yes, I did. "I think that's very dangerous, you were weaving" Officer I couldn't see! "oh and I detect the presence of alcohol, step out of the car......"

OP
OP
L

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like this fix was not permanent after all? On the other issue in my post I am suspicious that this happened at the same time the light issue reappeared. I have been driving the car regularly without this engine shut off problem. Then the lights flicker and now a 4500 rev limit. Seems too coincidental.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc