Electrolytic Metal Erosion (EME)....

SandViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you serious?
Not saying I'm :omg:Paranoid:omg:!!! I ran across this and started to wonder how bad my block looks? I am hoping this is a one in a million scenario. With me being a second owner of a 97 with 12k on it makes me wonder how much if any damage I already have done!

Is this some Billy Mays...RIP pitch so sell something

I'm not trying to pull heads to see, What have most of you come across when you have pulled your heads off anything like this?

Explanation of Electrolysis

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing like that on mine last year.

ive seen firsthand what it can do to a boat with no zincs, but never on a car

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read up on the corrosion inhibiter's in antifreeze. I think you will find they have additives in antifreeze to pretty much eliminate this inside your block.

Remember you need some type of electrolyte to get electrolysis to occur - like salt in water. I have heard of anode type items being attached to freeze plugs to provide a less noble metal (zinc)....

Just read up on modern antifreeze - I think that will set your mind at ease.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck... makes me worry about the bunch of crap food consumed in my life, yet for something less important like your car.. best to wait until Tom the fuel and lube guru chimes in for advice...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, this is why antifreeze corrosion inhibitors were invented and have been protecting metals for a long, long time.

The sacrificial anode radiator cap is used in open systems for marine use, where the coolant is not treated. However, using a sacrificial anode in automotive systems with antifreeze is not getting double the protection; the anti-corrosion additives will get used up trying to protect the sacrificial anode and you will actually shorten the lifespan of protection.

Of course the pictures are dramatic. Usually the worst ones are those when the water pump blades have disappeared and the surrounding area looks like swiss cheese. In a diesel application, the worst area is the outside of the cylinder liner.

The introduction of long life coolant is a quantum leap improvement over the green 2-year coolant. In auto use the bottles claim 5 years/150,000 miles (although goes much longer.) In commercial use essentially the same chemistry is good for 500,000 miles with one additive recharge. But no anodes!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4