Eliminate cats on my '95? Is it worth it?

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eliminate cats on my \'95? Is it worth it?

What's the real performance gain from doing this? Keeping everything stock except removing the cats. I've read some people say it makes a nice difference in performance and some say you actually lose horsepower and torque. Can this be done with the car sitting on the ground? Does anything on the exhaust have to be cut to do this?

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Eliminate cats on my \'95? Is it worth it?

Hi NatRT10, I took mine out. Best flow mod there is I think.
You have to cut them out, I used a sawsall, welded in a straight pipe and away ya go!!!! Big difference,imho. Sounds better too!!! Change to a straight through **** too, really wakes up yer beast!!!!!! Cats gone keeps the sills alot cooler too. Do it, you'll like it!!!!!!!!

Mitch

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nat, your just chompen at the bit to do some mods aren't ya

OP
OP
N

NatRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

LOL! It's killing me! I don't want to go too crazy spending money on mods, but I want to make sure my money is well spent. I was also looking at the VEC1 for my car but I think an exhaust change (of some kind) would be a better performance gain and it would make the car sound better.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nat, It's the best thing I did, eliminates many heat related issues and it isn't enough reduction in back pressure to lose horsepower. I bought a used stock setup because I was paranoid I'd screw up mine, it was only a few hundred so I'm sure you can do the same if you post a wanted ad. I took mine off and I took the 4 pipes to a weld shop around the corner. This way, I was able to ensure the measurements were exact and the new ones would be the exact length as my stock ones.

Make sure you find a weld guy who has experience with welding stainless. Make sure you buy straight pipe out of good quality stainless, I think mine was 304 or something, I can't remember but it was something like $50.

Before cutting the cats, my weld guy tacked one pipe to two tables (that were a pain to move) in 4 different spots so everything would stay straight and the correct length once the cat was cut. He cut cats out straight with a torch. Then he measured and cut the straight pipe to match and welded it in. Pipes never moved with the tacks on the tables. Same process with the other side, $150 total and a high quality job.

By the way, you should also buy replacement donut metal gaskets and you should buy a couple exhaust mounting bolts just in case one breaks (mine did) while reinstalling. I have pics on the board in the gallery. Make sure you follow the correct process in this thread to remove and install sills too so you don't strip the screw holes.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=359271&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Removing the cats is bad for the enviroment and against the law.

The car will be much louder.

You will lose some bottom end power and gain some on the top.

If you have a 3 inch system you should put in a small cone venturi to give the system some back pressure, this will give you the best of both worlds.

If you put a crossover between the rear tips (just after the muffler) that links the two exhausts together. It will tone out the drone.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

He said it was a 95 stock system so it's a 2 1/2 system and doesn't exit out the rear. With this system and the stock mufflers, additional back pressure or a venturi is not needed and will reduce hp. It's only when you go to a 3 inch and high flow mufflers where this would begin to be a concern.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Natrt10,

I deleted my cats on my car and picked up 14 RWHP. If you are interested I know someone in Lebanon who will weld in straight pipes cheap, he did my viper and Redenuff93's viper so he has some experience no that it is hard.