emissions legal build??

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done most of the basic bolt ons and now I'm at the point of trying to figure out whats next. Is there a camshaft or engine build that will allow me to pass emissions?

If not I suppose a paxton kit ot turbo upgrade would still pass???

Any thoughts or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Define "emissions legal". Technically anything you change is not legal, but if you mean it will pass inspection, define a visual pass, a plug-in OBD-2 pass, or an actual sniffer test pass. All different things in different places.

OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It passes emissions in the only city(albuquerque) in New Mexico that have these requirements.

OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Test Description

Emissions testing in Bernalillo County consists of five parts:
•On-Board Diagnostic 2 - Tests vehicle emission control equipment functions
•Tailpipe exhaust analysis - Measures carbon monoxide and hydrocardon emissions
•Pollution control equipment - Verifies equipment installation and connections
•Visible emissions - Checks for tailpipe smoke
•Gas cap pressure - Ensures cap holds tight seal

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is pretty heavily modified and it passes the tests listed above every 2 years.
Now having said that, it does occasionally throw the check engine light aqnd so far that means I need to replace an O2 sensor which seems to coincendatlly go on the month before emissions testing... :)

OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Green Viper,
I'm assuming your running an aftermarket cam along with some headwork. What cam are you using? thanks!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have over 700 hp naturally aspirated and passed emissions in NY. Did cam, heads intake, exhaust, ignition and fuel...

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Test Description

Emissions testing in Bernalillo County consists of five parts:
•On-Board Diagnostic 2 - Tests vehicle emission control equipment functions
•Tailpipe exhaust analysis - Measures carbon monoxide and hydrocardon emissions
•Pollution control equipment - Verifies equipment installation and connections
•Visible emissions - Checks for tailpipe smoke
•Gas cap pressure - Ensures cap holds tight seal

If the builder knows what they are doing, then you will be fine. However, since you have both OBD2 and Exhaust Analysis, you will either need to select a build that is completely run by the OE PCM [paxton is fine too], or would need to go with a full-blown standalone that is correctly integrated with the JTEC/VENOM in order to keep OBD2 functionality active. An standalone on its own would not allow OBD functionality.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my build (heads, cam, headers, hf cats, etc. and tuning), I pass CT emissions, no codes or issues. Then again, CT emissions testing is simply plugging into the OBD to check emissions monitors and visual inspection of the cats. They don't bother looking for the cats because they're behind the sills. I even passed tailpipe sniffing before CT switching over to full OBDII testing.

OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final GTS thanks it looks like the paxton is the way i'll go. I thought the car would have a chance to pass emissions with headwork, rocker arms and a ported intake. I figured cam selection would be the key to pass/fail.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your not understanding Daniel (Final GTS). The right head and cam combo by the right guy with a proper tune will pass your tests. Technically it's still illegal but it will pass.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how does a non carb legal supercharger kit pass emissions in other states. I understand that "CARB" legal is meant for CA, however most states that have emissions testing, model their tests after CA standards. Federal emissions laws specifically prohibit tampering with any emissions equipment in any state. Another words, why would you feel that a supercharger or for that matter a turbo kit would somehow pass your counties standards?

OP
OP
M

mralbuquerque

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab my thoughts Greg good heads and ported intake what cam?
Who's the right engine builder? thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how does a non carb legal supercharger kit pass emissions in other states. I understand that "CARB" legal is meant for CA, however most states that have emissions testing, model their tests after CA standards. Federal emissions laws specifically prohibit tampering with any emissions equipment in any state. Another words, why would you feel that a supercharger or for that matter a turbo kit would somehow pass your counties standards?

CARB is just a certification that is required by all products "legal for installation". It does not necessarily mean that it will not pass without CARB, it just means that a manufacturer didn't feel like spending the 10's of thousands of dollars for the nonsense certification.

Basically, in an OBD-2 state, you need to fool the computer into thinking it will pass, or actually making it pass. With a state that has exhaust gas analyzers, you need to write a tune that will actually produce passing results. In many instances, the latter is actually easier.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Final GTS thanks it looks like the paxton is the way i'll go. I thought the car would have a chance to pass emissions with headwork, rocker arms and a ported intake. I figured cam selection would be the key to pass/fail.

Cam selection absolutely will be a key item in your case. I would say that 90% of the cams I have seen in the Viper market will not pass an exhaust gas analyzer.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Camfab my thoughts Greg good heads and ported intake what cam?
Who's the right engine builder? thanks

The right engine builder/tuner is one who is extremely familiar with the Viper engine. However, you should also expect to need to work with an inspection station at some point to create a "passing" tune for inspections.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CARB is just a certification that is required by all products "legal for installation". It does not necessarily mean that it will not pass without CARB, it just means that a manufacturer didn't feel like spending the 10's of thousands of dollars for the nonsense certification.

Basically, in an OBD-2 state, you need to fool the computer into thinking it will pass, or actually making it pass. With a state that has exhaust gas analyzers, you need to write a tune that will actually produce passing results. In many instances, the latter is actually easier.

I understand that a non CARB legal install can certainly pass emissions testing. My point is, at least in CA, when you smog a car they do a visual inspection. A supercharger or turbo install that does not have a CARB number is an instant failure. A cam and head package can certainly fly under the radar, especially because most smog tech's are not familiar with the Viper engine. I'm just speaking about the likelyhood of being hassled.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I understand that a non CARB legal install can certainly pass emissions testing. My point is, at least in CA, when you smog a car they do a visual inspection. A supercharger or turbo install that does not have a CARB number is an instant failure. A cam and head package can certainly fly under the radar, especially because most smog tech's are not familiar with the Viper engine. I'm just speaking about the likelyhood of being hassled.

Ah, read your question wrong.

The simple answer is that most other states really don't care so long as you pass the actual tests. Visual means diddly overall. CA is seemingly the only gigantic hassle in this regard. Also have to keep in mind that many people dont have any idea what they are looking at anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang