Engine is out..new clutch time, extras?

RonC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately my 94's engine is being rebuilt. For those of you who have been down this road (and there seems to be alot), is there anything I should have done before/during install? I only had 9k miles on the car but was thinking that it might be wise to replace the clutch. (Also thinking headers...hee hee). Anything else wise ones?

BTW I have learned to hate gen1 gaskets....sigh.

Ron

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

I have had mine out several times and the slave cylinder bit us in the butt once...got eveything back up in there and pressed the clutch and fluid went everywhere. Had to have one flown in while Larry Macedo was still here...it was very frustrating and expensive, not the slave cylinder...Air freight was around $200 this was two weeks after 9-11 and no one wanted to ship anything overnight!!!

Just my 2 cents....

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Dave said. This is THE time to put in a lightweight flywheel. I sincerely regret not doing this when my motor was out. I drove a 98 with a lightweight flywheel last week and you could really tell the difference. Several suppliers here sell them and they are not too expensive. Do it and tell us what you think after your motor is back in!

Chris

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got new silicone lifetime hoses (kit) from Sean Roe Racing. They come with the air bleeder valves on them to make it easier to bleed all the air out of the hose lines. Helps the engine to run cooler. Did not get the aluminum flywheel, may have second thoughts about that later.

Reaction score
RonC, we offer aluminum flywheels (great mod to spin the engine up faster and especially nice on opentrack Vipers!), our exclusive Dual Kevlar clutch (tested to over 800hp and 9k rpm!), Skip Shift deletes, Belanger headers (the best fit-n-finish and performance), cat-back systems w/ high-flow cats (better flow, sound, and HP to boot! See: http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000518.html), etc. Lots of great stuff to choose from!
Just shoot me an email ([email protected]) or give us a call at the number below for more info and pricing.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron:

Just a thought, if you are going to drag race with slicks, the light flywheel could be a negative. I just bought a Gen II. I'm trading in my 94. It had the Balenger headers and a custom exhaust. The car dyno'ed at 405/475. I removed the headers and exhaust. I'm going to put the headers on the Gen II. The headers and exhaust get the most hp/$ and the car sounds the way it should

If you were to purchase Balenger headers, my exhausts would make the job simple. The problem with the Belangers on the Gen I is that there is no exhaust that simply bolts up, especially with high flow cats. The exhaust kit Balenger offers for the Gen I is a joke. Some tuners offer an exhaust, however, it is for stock headers. Whether you do the Balengers or not, headers and exhausts will give you equal hp and more torque than a stock Gen II.

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be swapping transmissions in the next week or so.
My car has 20 K. The clutch works perfectly. But, it seems remiss to remove the trans and not have the flywheel re-surfaced AND replace the clutch.
However, I read in the factory manual that the flywheel
cannot be turned and the only fix is replacement.
Sooooooo......if it's not broke don't fix it ?
Or replce the clutch anyway........