Engine Mount Issue

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gents - As yet another owner who is experiencing the nutorious bucking effect at 1st gear slow speeds in my 97 GTS, I decided to replace the motor mounts, among other things, to try and resolve the issue. I installed Polybushing mounts.

Problem... Last time I went to change my oil, I discover the freggin oil filter will no longer clear the opening in the frame to remove it!!! :omg: The whole drivetrain is now about an inch or more forward from what it was before. My tourette kicks in over the next 2 hours as I loosen up the engine mounts to get the filter replaced. I attempted to shift the drivetrain back as I put everything back together, but I fear it may have gone back forward again because last time I was under the car I noticed the filter was dented from hitting the frame caused by the drivetrain either twisting or bucking.

Before I start concluding that these engine mounts ****, I want to know if I may have installed them backwards or something. If they were installed properly, and I find my filter still doesn't clear the frame, I'm going to yank them out and put in some Woodhouse mounts.

Thanks,
Jason
Hampton Roads, VA

Reaction score
I think there was a comment a while back that those were in fact shorter than the factory mounts. Our mounts are the same dimensions as the factory ones with out the squish factor.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there was a comment a while back that those were in fact shorter than the factory mounts. Our mounts are the same dimensions as the factory ones with out the squish factor.

Agreed that is well known that the poly mounts are thinner by a small amount (1/4"?) but that does not explain the comment that the engine is now 1" farther forward.

Reaction score
If the engine is forward the trans mount would not line up, maybe the increased angle from the mounts is making appear to be forward???

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think we should all just pile over to his house with beer and work on his car. Posse up LOL.

That would be SO worth it. I'll buy a keg to float just to listen to Dave and his rhetoric while we fix my car LOL! :beer:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how the mounts could do this unless your trans mount does not line up.

Have you recently done the frame recall reinforcement?

In either case a picture will be worth a thousand words.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see how the mounts could do this unless your trans mount does not line up.

Have you recently done the frame recall reinforcement?

In either case a picture will be worth a thousand words.

Hey Russ maybe he got rear ended :lmao:I'm sorry I forgot about the engine block stretcher. I know I know I'm being silly but seriously a pic would help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have pics of the Poly Mounts/OEM/Woodhouse mounts side by side in my writeup (replacing mounts) in the illustrateds. The poly mounts dropped my engine enough so that the my header turnouts were resting on the frame openings. Although, I don't believe the difference in thickness is nearly enough to cause problems with the oil filter.

Can you post pics?

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, need help from the gents with header/Paxton supercharger experience... Got several issues going on at once here, and resurrecting this thread because as I feared, my engine mount issue still exists and now have additional challenges due to some mods I'm getting ready to do...

As discussed in this thread, after installing Polybushing mounts I've discovered my oil filter doesn't clear the chassis. I originally believed the engine shifted forward, but after some discussion here, it seems as though the mounts have dropped the engine to where the filter appears to have moved forward, but actually moved down...
You must be registered for see images attach

That said, I'm thinking the mounts caused the drop, which also caused this problem...

I've recently acquired a Paxton Supercharger system from a guy with a 2000 Viper who is going Twin Turbos. As part of the deal, I agreed to let him have the stock crossbrace since I now have the custom one that comes with the kit. I'm not ready to do the Supercharger install just yet, so I installed the crossbrace that comes with the kit. Unfortunately, the brace doesn't allow me to hook up the KN tubes to the intake, a HUGE clearance issue here!

To top it all off, I also got a set of BB headers and exhausts I want to install, but have heard that the Polybushings and some stock mounts cause the headers/collector to hit the chassis and/or exit hole going into the side sills. Needless to say, I'm already starting to get a headache. All I want to do is make the car driveable for another month or two so I can have the Supercharger overhauled by Paxton, get my intake/valve covers powder coated, and do a little maintenance.

So what do I do here? Do I keep the Polybushings and install a shim plate to raise it up? Do I go with some Woodhouse mounts? No matter what I choose, what about the supercharger bracket clearance issue I've heard about. One guy posted on here that he had to lower his engine because the supercharger bracket was hitting something.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of anybody having this issue with the Woodhouse mounts. Alittle costly, but I think I would be purchasing a set ASAP.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy answer, get the Woodhouse mounts. I did them on my old RT/10 and they worked perfectly.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed.....i have woodhouse mount and have no problems and if what you have is not working dont jerry rig it with shims, toss them into the bin and chalk it up to racers luck and move on
Easy answer, get the Woodhouse mounts. I did them on my old RT/10 and they worked perfectly.

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got the mounts from . I'm going to be calling them this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not get the polybushing mounts, mine were cracked and separating when I received them. Get the Woodhouse mounts and be done with it.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of anybody having this issue with the Woodhouse mounts. Alittle costly, but I think I would be purchasing a set ASAP.
I actually partially melted one. Never heard of it happening to anyone else. I still have no idea why it happened and neither does Mark. I replaced it with another one and last I checked it it was fine. Maybe the other one didn't get fully cured or something. I would still only recommend the Woodhouse mounts