Engine rebuild.

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first Viper was picked up last week with a blown motor. The owner said that it was run out of oil and that it had two broken rods and needed a cam. He wasnt knowledgable about engines just talking to him, and I figured worst case I have to buy an engine. I finally get it into the garage yesterday (what a pain to get it onto the lift) and pull the oil pan. No broken rods or messed up block, just spun bearings. This will be an exciting winter project.

Last edited:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well thats a good thing. Just new bearings at $300 and labor which i assume your doing. Sounds like a good deal if the car was cheap.

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who informed the original owner that the rods were bent, etc.

He had a shop pull the oil pan and quoted me that two rods were "broken", so I expected carnage. The engine will still be pulled and fully gone over. The crank will need turned and everything else inspected as well as repairing or replacing the rods.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a lucky break. But what kind of dilhole runs that kind of motor out of oil?!:dunno:

OP
OP
S

Sccoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or, we can send you a short block if it turns out its more than bearings...

Whats a short block run? Ill check on the machining prices and compare when I get the engine out and apart. Would be nice to keep the serial numbers correct though.

Thanks

I pulled more rod and main caps and they look fine. Either one rod journal was starved for oil for one reason or another or perhaps he over rev'd it and started smashing the bearings out on that journal and then continued to run it with knock? Never know.

The bearings should not spin. In spite of what there are called they are actually bushings. The rod bearings ride on a thin layer of oil on the crankshaft. When that layer of oil is not there, they heat up and the friction between the bearing and the crankshaft overcomes the friction between the bearing and the connecting rod and then the rod takes a beating. This part is bad. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas