exhaust cackle

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my car back after making several esthetic and performance mods. My last viper was an 05' that I inherited from the previous owner with aftermarket exhaust, (chrome tips, so I think corsa, but maybe borla). It had a WONDERFUL decel exhaust cackle, (I have no idea if the cats were stock or not). So now I have this 08' bone stock car and I decide on the performance side of my mods to do a mopar performance pcm, r/t metal high flow cats, and corsa exhaust, all at once. I just got it back and the thing absolutely screams when you open the throttle but purrs like a fluffy kitten on decel. I am thrilled with the car overall going from the gen 3 to a gen 4, but I miss my cackle. I have since found the thread that has all the technical explanations why this takes place. I guess I am looking for you friends to help me decide if the other benefits of the MP PCM, outway my missing my old exhaust cackle, or even if I went back to my stock PCM, if I would get that back, with the above mentioned exhaust already installed, or if being a gen 4, with the other engine changes, that maybe I am just SOL. I look forward to hearing what others have found concerning this issue.:dunno:

hightest

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mopar PCM removes the exhaust crackle, as the engineers wanted better efficiency. You need to go back to the factory programming if you want to hear the crackle.
If you're not running headers, or a ported intake, or any other major performance upgrade; the performance increase of the mopar pcm is negligible (just my .02), but the mopar pcm does provide better throttle response.