Exhaust Choices for 08?

Fast1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has any information or personal experience with the difference between Belanger and Billy Boat exhaust? Each say that they are the best and the other is making false claims in power increase. Which one has the better kit with cleaner installation? Which makes more power stock? Which makes more power with mods?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast1 --

I know that Mark Jorgensen and/or Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge have posted some Mustang dyno graphs showing that even on a new 2008 still within the break-in period that the Belanger system (headers, high flow cats and exhaust) added 60+ flywheel hp.

I have not heard any sound clips of the Belanger system yet but plan on having the system installed on my 08 hopefully in a few weeks and will post a clip then.

I have not seen much here or over at the alley about similar testing or numbers on the Billy Boat system. Do you know if Billy Boat or someone else has installed a system yet? What sort of numbers are they seeing?

Hope this helps.

/Rich

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what i've seen, nobody yet makes what I would want: More power; not much louder. I think that would be achieved with headers and cats that can bolt to the stock exhaust ... but everybody seems intent on selling a muffler, even though the stock '08 sound is said to be near perfect.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is the full belanger system, if i don't like the sound i'll chop off the magnaflow and put in the corsa... there is a 08 corsa available
08_headers_and_exhaust1.jpg

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
here is the full belanger system, if i don't like the sound i'll chop off the magnaflow and put in the corsa... there is a 08 corsa available

I tried the BB, Mopar Race and the Corsa Track on my '05. Corsa was the loudest of all the mufflers (excluding other elements of the system) -- not for me.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i really liked the corsa , it is quieter than my srt8 jeep exhaust

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Acceptable sound levels tend to be highly subjective. I will be the first to admit that I don't like super loud cars. Just gave a fellow VCA member a ride in my Paxton car (925 rwhp) and his first comment was how quiet it is as we pulled out of my neighborhood. His second comment, after some spirited acceleration, was holy sh_t, this thing is scary fast!

I think the challenge with the 2008 car will be making power and keeping it quiet as stated above. I've tried darn near everything to make power and keep the car quiet with my 04 and 06 - so far you either get one or the other in my opinion. I settled for putting the cross overs back on my 06 and put the B&B 3-inch cross overs on my paxton car.

The stock sound on the 2008 is very soft and quiet at idle - sounds a bit like a truck (I drove one today). It does improve a bunch when you wind it up, like all Vipers.

I suspect that the full Belanger system will be too loud for most of us (I tried this on my 06 and couldn't live with it).

I really hope one of us can come up with an exhaust system / muffler combo that can make a bunch of power and be relatively quiet.

Dan

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for reference, here is a clip I recorded of the full Belanger header/exhaust package on a friend's car. (His car is a Gen III with Paxton.) Personally, I love the sound of the Belanger (very low rumble at idle) but I have to admit that when I bent down to record his exhaust and he goosed the throttle I thought for a moment that I had blown out my right eardrum. It didn't help that his exhaust was facing a large brick wall that reflected the sound right back at me. Anyway, you be the judge:

YouTube - Sound of 2003 Viper with Belanger Header and Exhaust Package

Despite (or perhaps because of) my screaming eardum, I went with the Belanger package for my 08.

/Rich

Reaction score
The full Belanger system does have some drone and is quite loud. The Corsa eliminates a lot of the drone but is loud at WOT. I have always liked the sound of the Corsa on a Viper so I will keep recommending it, that is why it is what I sell exclusively.

I can "almost" guarantee any cat or cat back system that is "quiet" is leaving some power on the table. The only real way to reduce sound is with back pressure from baffling.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I finished trying systems on my '05, everyone seemed to like the Mopar (Borla) Race cat-back with the RT cat/elbow pipe. It wasn't nearly as jarringly loud at start-up (turning everyone's head in every parking lot) like the Corsa was. The Mopar Race has an inaccurate reputation of being reported as loud, but that's only because the system comes with no cats. If you add your own h-f cats, putting it on par with the other (Corsa, Belanger) mufflers, it's not as loud.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The full Belanger system does have some drone and is quite loud. The Corsa eliminates a lot of the drone but is loud at WOT. I have always liked the sound of the Corsa on a Viper so I will keep recommending it, that is why it is what I sell exclusively.

I can "almost" guarantee any cat or cat back system that is "quiet" is leaving some power on the table. The only real way to reduce sound is with back pressure from baffling.

I have one of Woodhouse's Paxton Vipers with the 2 1/2 in Corsa track and stock cats, it
is a lot quieter than the 3 in Corsa and free flow cats I had on my 05, still a bit loud for the
wife, "ear plugs honey".:D

Herc:usa:

Reaction score
Does that include high flow cats ?? How much for install ??

These prices are for the high flows also. They come with the header package not the cat back. I would say 12 hours labor start to finish. We did them and to get the headers in without damaging anything the valve covers will need to come off to reach the top header bolts. Then to install the cat back and a good tip alignment taking all the needed steps to prevent any damage. This will include a heat cycle or two to make sure the tips are where they need to be.

black08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These prices are for the high flows also. They come with the header package not the cat back. I would say 12 hours labor start to finish. We did them and to get the headers in without damaging anything the valve covers will need to come off to reach the top header bolts. Then to install the cat back and a good tip alignment taking all the needed steps to prevent any damage. This will include a heat cycle or two to make sure the tips are where they need to be.

What would be your ideal upgrade exhaust system for a 2008 that is being run primarily on the street? What are the warranty issues, if any?

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FOR SALE - the complete 08 belanger system, headers,cats,exhaust as seen in previous picture in this post......The system will be shipped new to you directly from belanger

$3750.00 shipping included....only one available at this price... immediate delivery available
pm for transaction

Reaction score
What would be your ideal upgrade exhaust system for a 2008 that is being run primarily on the street? What are the warranty issues, if any?

I am going to NOT recommend anything right at this moment because of some un answered questions as of yet. I will say that for my money I would go Belanger headers and high flows, with the Corsa catback, when we are sure everything is compatible with the Venom controller.

The system is not only beautiful but makes great power and torque, and since there may not be many parts compatible with the new engine without major mods in the near future this is a great start.

The warranty should not be affected unless the non covered part creates the problem then you are on your own. Of course you will loose all emissions warranty's and since this system is not CARB approved it will be installed for off road use only.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good price for wallbanger's. I paid a lot more than that for my system. Yes, they are being sold, but as mj states, there are some caveats, it's early, and let's just say everyone is being very cautious. But ~4k for 60 hp on this beast is not bad.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i recently had a few pm's but they accidently got deleted so if u pm's me try again