Exhaust Manifold / Header Leak

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read on the forum about the factory exhaust manifolds cracking.

I heard an exhaust leak for the first time yesterday when starting my car.

It went away as the car warmed up, but did it again later as I restarted.

My car is under extended factory warranty, what do you suggest? Is it an easy fix if I take it in to be replaced? I'd rather not have even a Viper tech screwing around with my car, rather fix it myself if I can.

Thanks

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes it is common with the 03-06 models. There is a strap welded on the back of the exhaust manifold that keeps the tubes aligned, the manifold cracks where the strap meets a tube. I have found if you weld them up it does not happen again. If you replace with new you might be back in the same boat down the road. The manifold needs to be removed to repair it.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,

That's perfect, I may try to weld it to avoid anyone fooling with a good car!

Is there any danger with exhaust gas in the cabin or catching fire at this point?

Thanks again

Reaction score
I would suggest to get it repaired under factory warranty. Mainly, because you do have a warranty and new ones are expensive. Although there are plenty used manifolds floating around, the used units could do the same.

You can repair/weld manifolds, but a word of caution; sometimes you cannot get to the cracks unless you remove the welded gussets.

Also, exhaust leaks at the manifolds are generally not good. It can throw your 02 sensor readings off quite a bit.

Best of luck!
Doug

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To add to this, I have also seen more than one that cracked at the central point where the collector meets, right in the middle of the tubes. Usually a peice cracks off, and you can see light through it with a mirror from the inside. VERY difficult to see in most cases. Nearly impossible repair in a reasonable timeframe- replace if you have this failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi