Exhaust Odor Under Acceleration Only...

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,

REALLY enjoying my 1999 GTS. It has random cats and a Borla cat back system on it...Stock other than that. 13K miles. Car runs and looks like new.

Under harder acceleration there is quite an odor coming from the exhaust. With the windows down it is pretty obnoxious.

Should I try different fuels? What could this be from? Too rich?

Thanks in advance!!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my '01 GTS before I went to fully welded side exhaust, the slip joint/clamped Corsa cat-back system was the culprit. Yes, leaking at the joints.

If you can, take your side sills off and inspect those joints. If you see discoloration areas (whitish-gray) that could be a clue. Also start the car cold and look for condensation drips at joints. If water can make it through, so can the gas.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue and found leaks where the RT cats slip on to the Belanger exhaust pipe. No amount of force was enough to make the clamps completely seal those connections. I finally ditched the clamps and welded the cats in. Problem solved. Per Dave, I found the leak because of condensation dripping out of the joints on a cold startup.

OP
OP
Z

zracer196

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So it may not be the "exhausters" that let air out when you close the doors per the other thread?

Where are those pieces so I can check them?

Thanks!

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can block these vents entirely? If you do what happens? I've seen a lot of stereo systems with speaker boxes covering the entire area.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You blow out your back glass when closing the doors.

Usually no biggie if you carry a dustpan.

:eater:

If that's the case, then how are the people that have speaker enclosures that cover the area getting away without blowing out there back glass?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that's the case, then how are the people that have speaker enclosures that cover the area getting away without blowing out there back glass?

OK. I exaggerated a bit. But if you block both vent in their entirety, and do so well, that is a risk.

Pop your back glass just past latching, and then close your door quickly with both windows up.

Watch the rear glass when doing so.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i fixed and realigned mine a few months ago, one of the upper ones had came loose and was just hanging halfway down. I fixed it and adjusted all the flaps noticing that they are very fragile and weak. Worked for a few months, now they're leaking again.

Guess i'll give chuck a call and see howmuch a new set runs...

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK. I exaggerated a bit. But if you block both vent in their entirety, and do so well, that is a risk.

Pop your back glass just past latching, and then close your door quickly with both windows up.

Watch the rear glass when doing so.

If both sides are blocked, is it possible to still get the smell?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can smell the exhaust you are driving WAY TOO SLOW. Please only go out on senior citizens days in your area when you will be more comfortable puttering along with the buicks. My dad had a buick regal but at least it was a gs with the SC. GTS Bruce

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can smell the exhaust you are driving WAY TOO SLOW. Please only go out on senior citizens days in your area when you will be more comfortable puttering along with the buicks. My dad had a buick regal but at least it was a gs with the SC. GTS Bruce

What are you talking about???????:dunno: You obviously don't have a clue as to what we are talking about. Please keep your bs comments to yourself. Speaking of slow what "mods" have you done to your car? I doubt you drive as fast as you run your mouth.:rolleyes:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If both sides are blocked, is it possible to still get the smell?

I would speculate similarity to being in a sealed capsule. So no, with the cabin of your car sealed from the outside you would not smell the odor.

Of course even then there would be air leaks, but minimal.

So before you like the sealed capsule idea though, think about the consequences of slamming the door shut with no where for the air to escape. Either the door won't latch, or something becomes a pressure relief panel.

Also, have you ever heard of indoor air quality? Usually applied to large buildings designed for human occupancy, but you need air circulation. Inlet and exit. Cover the exit and the inlet no longer passes fresh air. This would only be a problem on long trips with the windows up of course.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would speculate similarity to being in a sealed capsule. So no, with the cabin of your car sealed from the outside you would not smell the odor.

Of course even then there would be air leaks, but minimal.

So before you like the sealed capsule idea though, think about the consequences of slamming the door shut with no where for the air to escape. Either the door won't latch, or something becomes a pressure relief panel.

Also, have you ever heard of indoor air quality? Usually applied to large buildings designed for human occupancy, but you need air circulation. Inlet and exit. Cover the exit and the inlet no longer passes fresh air. This would only be a problem on long trips with the windows up of course.

Thanks Dave!! That makes sense.