Exhaust Question?

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the Belanger system.
or
I'm considering just getting high-flow cats and leaving the rest stock.
My main concern is the decible level. I already have a car people in the next county can hear. Will I gain any Hp by just changing cats? Any advantages or disadvantages to doing this?

thanks

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you will gain 12 - 18 RWHP from a cat change.

I hear belangers are very loud

maybe B&B or corsa or borla would work better for you, I think you need to hear the sounds in person those internet files do no justice.

I got B&B on my gen 2 and love the sound.

I would not just upgrade cats and leave the rest stock theres some nice power to be made with a complete set headers/cat back/cats.

Good luck

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From what I hear you will spend $3500 and only gain 10+/- rwhp with headers on a gen 3, its b/c gen 3 come with headers from the factory and yes the aftermarket headers are better but not that much better. Get the k&n and you will gain 18rwhp for $300 bucks.

good luck

vd..

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with the Belanger system but another option you may wish to consider is the Corsa Track system as it does address the rather anemic factory sound by producing a more aggressive note at a louder output. Also, according to the manufacture it will net you 15 extra horses and 20ft/lbs of torque. As a side benefit you lose the crossover (heater) and no cat removal is necessary to achieve the extra power. I’ve owned numerous Corsa systems and have found their quality to be top notch, that's why I decided to go with them again. The list is $1387.

Good luck with your decision. :)

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There are a few options as noted above. The Corsa Track exhaust system works very well and will add horsepower and improve the sound. If you plan to add headers, it is way too loud, in my opinion. I could not recommend the Corsa Track with headers. I spoke with Corsa about this (volume and resonance) and they stated that the exhaust gases move much too quickly for their mufflers to work well with headers. I did this and removed the Corsas (costly $1800.00 error).

Viper D states that he hears that headers add only 10 hp. The B & B step headers that I added with high flow cats and mufflers / 3-inch pipes added 50 rwhp and 55 rwtq (with 3.55's). I don't know exactly how much the headers added, but at I would estimate 35 to 40 of that. I dynoed before and after, but made some other minor changes, so this is an approximate number. Yes, they are costly, but the work very well, sound very aggressive and lower the heat in the cabin. I would have them coated as well.

The stock exhaust manifolds are restrictive at best. You can call them "headers", but they are not very effective, in my opinion, compared with the B & B's or Belangers.

I have two friends that own Gen III's and have added the Belangers. They are much louder than the B & B's and my car pulls them by 4 to 5 car lengths from start up to 80. If we went faster, I would pull them more. One of them has 3.73's, the other 3.55's. We all have the K & N's and some tuning, so the only real difference (other than the drivers) are the headers, and these guys can both drive.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Dan

OP
OP
K

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys I appreciate the replies...

I think I could gain decent power by just swiching the cats and adding k&n's.

I am really concerned with sound that's why I don't want to pull the trigger on one of these complete systems.

Dan

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The complete Belanger system, utilizing the stock crossover, is not loud until you put your foot into it. When you cruise, it is very docile. Although some poo-poo the Belanger header bang for the buck, they come stock on the Competition Coupe and I think that says a lot about how good they are. The boys at Belanger claim a 50hp increase, but no owner has actually ever done a before/after dyno comparison, so not sure if it is quite that much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness