Exporting to South America???

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey,

I may be moving to South America (Brazil). I saw a thread on hear asking about info on getting a car into Europe (in particular, France). Has anyone gone "south" with their cars? Any recommendations for an exporter?

Thanks,
Paul
:2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lived in Brazil for 3 years. I thought about taking the Viper there but have to say it would be impractical. The lambadas (speed bumps) are impassible by a Viper and are everywhere. Safety would also be a great concern.

Where in Brazil are you going? I was in Curitiba. I returned there last december for a months vacation as well.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget about it.
It's even an issue with a motorcycle.

Brazil is one of those countries that sounds exotic, but is major hardship.
Make sure your company pays you enough and that you get the appriate R&R and other allowances.
Ask for a car + driver by the way.

Reaction score
Hey,

I may be moving to South America (Brazil). I saw a thread on hear asking about info on getting a car into Europe (in particular, France). Has anyone gone "south" with their cars? Any recommendations for an exporter?

Thanks,
Paul

Just bring it down to the port of Miami, leave the keys in the car and the doors unlocked and I assure you, it will get to South America.

OP
OP
R

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of moving to Sao Paulo. Most of my family lives in the suburb city of Osasco. It would be hard in Osasco. The speed bumps are everywhere. However, it's not bad in the city. They're not as aggressive and could be handled by a Viper. I would be moving to stay, which is why I asked. I could go there with what I have and either retire or start builing homes to make more money. It would be locked up in a garage and only used occassionally. I hope to take a 1971 Barracuda convertible for the more regular driving.

I think then only problem with "sells.." suggestion would be that it probably would not end up at the intended address.
:eek:

Paul

OP
OP
R

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
99 R/T 10,

I thought about driving it there. Thing is, I wasn't sure if ti could clear the Panama Canal. After all, it's not the General Lee!!!

:headbang:

Hans Christian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi RCKTMN,

I lived in Brazil for 5 years and work for a major worldwide shipping corp. I am actually visitng Sao Paulo these days on biz and go here about once a month.

Yves raises some important points on the money side.

Just fyi, legally brazil does not allow used vehicles into their country. If you are into trying an alternative route (which I would advise heavly against) it might be possible.

The price of the viper is 300-400% more expensive than USA.

I would further advise against driving a viper on any other exotic on a daily basis in Sao Paulo (not because of speed bumbs - but because of the crime rate and the risk of personal threats it would pose to you).

Anyway, if you wish to get more insight from my experience of 5 great years in Brazil I would be more than happy to share. You can reach me on cell 954 592 3556.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW there were 4 Vipers in the Curitiba area when I was there (owned by the very rich). Several Ferraris as well. I was told the Vipers cost more than 100k to import, along with a lot of political "influence."

But as I said above the roads make driving impractical and the safety would prevent use in all but the best regions. I guess I would feel reasonably secure in a GTS in the southern region (say between Curitiba and Florianopolis), during daylight hours and parking only in guarded areas. In Sao Paulo I do not feel secure period. The wealthy and foreigners are fair game and a Viper would be advertisement.

I did not mention fuel quality but it can be quite poor. Once I needed to pump out a full tank of fuel because it contained lots of diesel and water instead of gasoline. The engine (5.9L in a Grand Cherokee) did not like the stuff.

I am surprised to see how many of us have lived and/or traveled to Brazil extensively.

OP
OP
R

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your comments. Viper SRT, you're right. I'm surprised by all the people who have been there and spent time there as noted above. The only thing that might work for me is that I would be moving there to live with Brazillian citizenship (due to my mother). I still have to confirm this, but I was told by many that I would pay a tax based on weight, not value, so long as it went with me when I initially moved there. I've also heard, as mentioned above, that they don't allow used vehicles in. But, that that was more to do with importing, not someone moving there.
I guess I've got a lot of things to confirm and consider. I appreciate all of your responses.

Thanks,
Paul

OP
OP
R

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hans,

I still need to clear a few hurdles before making a final decision on this move. However, I will contact you about shipping info. Both for the Viper (if a try taking it) and other personal items.

Thanks,
Paul

P.S. : Very nice SRT - I think they look great in red!

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
Hey guys,

a tax based on weight, not value,

I have family in several South American countries (mainly Chile), and they also tax based on the engine size (the info was from when I visited in the mid-80's and saw a Mustang Mach 1 (71-73)). As in an 8.0 liter engine will cost a helluvalot more than a 'regular' sized engine.

OP
OP
R

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
gthomas,

You may be right. The "weight tax" was told to me by a cousin who runs a business and often deals with importing. If true, it would only be a one time deal when I take up residency. They take the weight of the container and you pay by the kilo. Also, the deal would be that I couldn't sell the car for something like five years. I'm still working on the citizenship (my mother's Brasilian). I'm also trying to get official input on this issue. I am getting a 1971 Barracuda convertible that I'll like to take also.
In all honesty, I'd probably take only the Barracuda, as it does make more "sense" out of two for use down there. I hope to be down for a visit in a couple of months. I figure a trip into Santos, the port city, could yield many answers.
I hear Chile is nice. Do you get to go there often?

Paul

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, I am not sure if you mentioned where in Brasil you are going. That can make a big difference.

Note if your mother is Brasilian you automatically have a Brasilian citizenship. You can obtain a passport in Washington DC (or Chicago). Kind of a pain but it eliminates the need to get a visa.

Anytime you would like any assistance let me know. My in-laws and Wife are Brasiladas. Boa sorte

OP
OP
R

RCKTMN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper SRT,

Yes, my mother is Brasilian. I was born here. Unfortunately, my parents never registered me. Therefore, I need to go through the process of getting it. Though it will be much simpler than for anyone else from the USA. Luckily, I've gotten 5-year VISAs from Brasil.
Most of my family is located in Sao Paulo. My mother is living in Santos. I would probably live primarily in Sao Paulo, with a second home near Santos (where I would probably keep the Viper, if taken).
I'll get in touch when decision time comes. I'm always open to opinions and suggestions.

Muito Obrigado!
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery