Extend warranty or not?

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My warranty for my 2008 vert is about to run out, and I was wondering if it's worth extending it with the Chrysler max care? What's the cost and is it worth it? Car only has 5k mi and knock on wood has been issue free thus far. I have no idea how long I plan on keeping the car so I can't even help myself there lol. What do you guys think? Do most of you have the extended warranty or not? Thanks..

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To me, this is a no-brainer if the cost is not an issue which it shouldn't be if you own a $90k vehicle. Treat it like insurance. Imagine needing an engine rebuild and not having a extended warranty. If you decide to sell, the pro-rated value can be passed on (transferred) to the buyer or you can cancel it and receive a refund of the pro-rated value. Call Woodhouse for a Max Care quote.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Chrysler warranty but, have yet to use it. All issues I have had to date were covered under the factory warranty. Still feel good about having it since any car repair to a Viper is expensive.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other issue I have is mods, there are a few on the car and I'd hate to have some bonehead at the dealer not honor and void the warranty because of mods:rolleyes:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the Maxcare 7/70,000 mile extended warranty from Ringgold. I paid about $2200 for it, and learned on the forum that others have done better. I bought 4 new Vipers from Roanoke and thought, because of that, their pricing would be better. They were $500 more. The moral of the story is check around----prices are very negotiable. I have not needed the warranty and have 51,000 miles on the car. Maybe it will make the sale of the high miler a little easier next year. Do you need the extended warranty on a car you rarely drive? I don't know.

Bill

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With your's being an '08, I'm not sure how many mods are even out there that they could try to void the warranty on you.

Mine had the 7/70,000 on it when I bought it and I drive mine a good bit as long as weather is nice, so I was happy to have it. Not to mention, I spun a bearing had to have a rebuild about a month before it ran out. I guess you could say that I was REALLY happy to have it!

I'm getting into more and more mods, and there are a lot more "warranty voiding" options out there for Gen III's, so I don't know if I would get one at this point because I probably would void it very soon. However, if I had a Gen IV or planned to stay pretty stock, I would get it just for a piece of mind.

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have every bolt on modpossible to a gen 4, including gears :drive: So far I've gotten a $2095 for a 7/50 max with $0 ded and refund option! Pretty good considering I paid 4k for a freaking E350 warranty:mad: it's a no brainier I guess since it has a $$ back option if I sell or don't use the warranty:2tu:

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh crap, It was just brought to my attention by a very good friend and insider that headers, and mopar controller are a big no no for Dodge and most dealers will be afraid to touh the car! So now I have to consider buying the warranty for everything but the driveline:dunno:

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just bought(last month) the 4/50000 MAXCARE extended warranty from Roanoke Dodge (Aaron via Chuck Tator) for 1935.00 for my 09 vert. I intend to keep it stock. It's good insurance in case something big goes south on the car.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI. I paid $1500 for a 7 / 50,000 mile 0 deductible warranty at the time of purchase. In 2 years have 9,000 miles on the car so was a good choice for me. Dealer was singing the blues though :D

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time for me to decide on this... and I'll invite anyone who has used their extended warranty to add their comments: any hassles? Inquisitions regarding track use? If dealerships might void any warranty because you track the car, then I can't see spending the $$.

Thanks!

Rich

PS Lespauldude, does 4/50k mean that the warranty now extends to 7 years from in-service date, or 50k total miles?

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My warranty for my 2008 vert is about to run out, and I was wondering if it's worth extending it with the Chrysler max care? What's the cost and is it worth it? Car only has 5k mi and knock on wood has been issue free thus far. I have no idea how long I plan on keeping the car so I can't even help myself there lol. What do you guys think? Do most of you have the extended warranty or not? Thanks..

I'd recommend getting a Chrysler extended warrantee and you have to do it before the original runs out. It's insurance, so you can get it or self insure, you might never use it, but it's there if you need it. They have value if you plan to sell your viper. I've had 3, first one got me an Arrow rebuild, 2nd one maybe $500 in repairs and it helped when I sold that car, 3rd one just paid for $1500 worth of wiring harness and I still have over 3 years left.

Costs vary and you can go to a dealer you know and trust or surf the web. One thing to keep in mind is that the cancellation refund and transfer rules vary by state, and state is determined by where the warantee selling dealer is located, not where you live. Best plan is the MaxCare, mileage is what you want to think about. How many miles on your viper by year 7? Mine will be below 50K. Also look at the deductible options. If you get the $100 deductible, it's about $300 cheaper than the $0.00 deductible, so the total cost is cheaper if you have 3 seperate repairs or less.

Oh crap, It was just brought to my attention by a very good friend and insider that headers, and mopar controller are a big no no for Dodge and most dealers will be afraid to touh the car! So now I have to consider buying the warranty for everything but the driveline:dunno:

I'm not an expert but I would disagree with that statement. I just looked at the document, here are a couple of exculsions; "Repairs required as a result of use of other than the vehicle manufacturer's parts during the term of the plan". "Repairs to a covered component caused by the failure of a non-covered component....."

I read that as if your headers caused a failure of a covered component then it's not covered. I'm not sure if the venom controller is waranteed by dodge when you buy them. But if you have one the same rule should apply, did the mopar controller cause something to fail? In the case of the controller I guess you could swap it out before you brought it in.

Good luck, I'd recommend you buy a warantee and not worry about having headers or the ecu. Mike

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Time for me to decide on this... and I'll invite anyone who has used their extended warranty to add their comments: any hassles? Inquisitions regarding track use? If dealerships might void any warranty because you track the car, then I can't see spending the $$.

It oftentimes depends on the dealership. A Dodge service facility can deny a warranty claim for certain modifications and evidence of abuse (which some feels that tracking falls into this category). Please read the disclaimer for the extended warranty program to make sure it suits your needs before you purchase. Some of the more Viper-friendly dealerships are more tolerable to warranty claims for "excessive" modifications than others.

The bottom line in the game is: You pay to play.......

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always heard it as redtan described. If your headers melted something, it obviously wouldn't be covered, but if the failure can't be traced to the aftermarket part, it's still covered. I know it might require a fight sometimes because they don't want to warranty it, but you should win in the end.
As for the Mopar PCM, I'm not sure how that works. I think it says for "off road use only" due to emissions, but if it's a Chrysler part, I would think it wouldn't void a warranty.
Then again, who knows. On the early GTR's, they void your tranny warranty if you use the launch control button, which was supplied by the factory. I'm still waiting on lawsuits over that one.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my 7/50 MaxCare on my 08 for $1400 back in November. Car is now covered for 50K miles or until 4/28/2015.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rich,

The warranty extends 7 years/50k miles from the in-service date. You are correct sir. My price is with a $50 deductable.

Scott

Thanks!

Rich

PS Lespauldude, does 4/50k mean that the warranty now extends to 7 years from in-service date, or 50k total miles?

OP
OP
M

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red Tan, The issue with the controller is that it is not made for street use and thus automatically voids your warranty from speaking to someone who works for a dealer. Look at this way, if your car become undrivable and is taken in by a dealer, you cannot simply plug in the stock computer and have it diagnosed and covered! You need to put ~ 100 mi on the car for it to take in and register. So if something bad was supposed to happen with the mopar computer in I'd be totally screwed! And if you say take it off, that's not an option either with headers with this damn stupid tight ass computer:curse:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moundir, if you do business with a dealer who says adding the venom controller voids your vehicle warantee, you need to find another dealer, that is not true. Here's what it says in the install manual that came with your controller, "the addition of performance parts does not by itself void a vehicles warantee. However, added perfromance parts (parts not supplied on the vehicle from the factory) are not covered by the vehicle's waranty, and any failure that they may cause is also not covered by the vehicle's warranty".

Just like what others have said about headers, etc. if you add parts that cause others to fail, then its not covered. If the performance parts are there but not the cause of the other parts failure then they fix it under warranty. I'm not an excpert but I've had to swap controllers and I didn't notice any drivability difference going from venom to stock and then back to venom. Like I first said, you need to find another dealer to service your viper. I know there are a number of NY owners who can direct you. Good luck, Mike

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I bought the Lifetime, no mileage limit, warranty on my 2010 for around 3K from Roanoke. There is a $100.00 deductable. It's a very comprehensive warranty that works as long as the repair is less than the cars value at the time of the repair. This warrenty is available on all 2010's. What a deal to avoid repairs 15 yrs down the road. Will do the same for future Viper purchases if the warranty is still available. Very cheap insurance IMO---Dave

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MOST DEFINITELY buy the extended warranty!! I bought mine from http://www.extended-warranty-pro.com/ (Sieman's) and I've used it multiple times, for even some small stuff that I was surprised they would cover. I also have the $0 deductible 4yr/50,000 mile warranty, and I paid about $1,700 (about one month before factory warranty expired). To me, it was the peace of mind knowing I could drive my car, enjoy it, and that Dodge (and my local dealer) would stand behind their product.

In fact, I am so proud of Dodge and how my Viper ownership experience has been, I've been looking at picking up another car from them (instead of another Lexus or BMW). I don't know if there is any greater compliment than that!

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive had my 05 viper for about 4 years and havnt had about any repairs on it at all and drove it alot in the summertime. Its supercharged so I dont know if they would cover stuff but I probably would have bought it for $1400 cause thats pretty cheap! But just to throw in my car hasnt had any repairs on it in 4 years at all even being supercharged and driven often in the summer.

Would the warranty cover a supercharged car?

Could you buy the warranty on a car not in warranty now like an 05 car now?

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just purchased the MaxCare warranty, 7 yr/50k with $50 deductible for $1265 for my 2008 Viper two months ago (online purchase from out of state Dodge dealer).

Sandy G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a 5 year $200 ded. on my 05 from Woodhouse. My last warrenty just expired last week, it covvered me from Dec. 2004-Dec. 2011. I used it two times on a window regulator and a $1200 other bill. My new warrenty will cover me for 5 more years with a $200 ded. In Florida warrenties are treated like insurance and there is no discount from list price , about $6000. I like knowing that I have 5 years with a max of $200 per issue, not that I want any!!

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought an 06 coupe with 4048 miles a year ago. Paid around $2000 for extended warranty. Had to replace driver's side window regulator or something, 2 weeks ago (window jammed in down position). Invoice was around $800 with labor. Only asked to pay the $50 deductable. I'm happy.