Extracting a VIN

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a VIN number from a "rolling chassis" Gen III Viper. I know the VIN's are hidden in numerous places on many american cars and wondered if the Viper was the same. I don't have much to work with here. Mainly the frame and engine. There is an engine number on the back of the engine between the heads: -05037468AA 3224 C. Can anything be decyphered out of this?

Is it also stamped on the frame somewhere?

Anyone have any ideas?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
VIN is on the passenger upper transmission tunnel frame rail, on the interior of the car. Pop off the center console and you will be able to read it- roughly next to the E-Brake handle.

The VIN is also stamped on the back passenger side of the engine, and stamped on the tailhousing of the transmission. Of course it is also visible on the door jam and windshield surround as always... assuming the car has either of them.

OP
OP
chickenwarrior

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Exactly the info I was looking for. No Door Jam or windshield surround as all the body is missing. I knew it had to be on the engine somewhere. This is very helpful! Thanks.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is this really info that you want to share on a open forum?Would be better through ***.I would think. Just my .02

I know what you mean, but with things like this, there are no secrets. People who are in the business on stripping cars illegally and transferring VIN numbers.... are more than capable of figuring these things out with a flashlight and about 5 minutes of their time. Or just buy a manual, its right in there too. Knowing how to spot a transfer is a bit more important than knowing where it is IMHO.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree who heartedly with Dan. The bad guys already know where all of the VIN locations are at.

As a matter of fact, there are publications that list all of the public and "secret" VIN locations for ALL vehicles that are provided to law enforcement agencies.

I have seen versions a few years ago that had made their to public venues.

Know where the engine and trans locations are at make it easier to verify a car that claims to be matching numbers. More important in the future when the Viper attains true collectability status.

Steve A.

OP
OP
chickenwarrior

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's my thought. Knowing these locations to make sure numbers match are helpful to everyone. I doubt we are "educating" any thieves out there...