F355 vs SRT 10

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my 2001 RT 10 a while back ( originally purchased from pemberton ) and got my 'dream car' 1998 Ferrari F355 Spider. While that car has some fantastic attributes I dont know that its the car for me. Im not bonding with it the way i did with my viper.

People tell me this is ridiculous...its a Ferrari..a 'dream car' and one of the best looking/handling/sounding ones at that. I guess I was expecting more...Im not sure.,.I actually feel guilty for not loving the car.

When i drove the viper I felt 'comfortable'...I felt like our personalities matched ( I had a license plate that said 'Whtrash' which didnt fit the 355s personality) . With the 355 I feel like a poseur..its not the cars fault, but i feel uncomfortable. People stare way too much. They assume Im 'rich'. You get a lot of attitude. I never got that with the viper. I hope this doesnt come across the wrong way but it was like the viper was the 'working mans' exotic which people liked and the Ferrari breeds resentment ( unless im at the ********** where its a godsend...lol )

I also feel like the 355 is always ready to break and cost me another mortgage to get it going. It feels fragile. Delicate. Im constantly watching the needles and listening for strange sounds. I always felt like I could throw my viper around carelessly and it would never let me down ( and actually it never had anything other than routine maintenance in my 5 years of ownership ).

So Im seriously thinking of selling the 355 and getting a new SRT 10 either slate or yellow.

Im really interested in hearing thoughts from those who may have been in a similar situation.

J

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at a gas station this evening and two separate cars of people came in a spent some time looking at the car. Not because it was expensive. But everyone just loves them. And they take the time to talk to you. It is more of a muscle car.

There are lots of exotics in this world. But only Viper has mass appeal without being pretentious. Just my two cents worth.

I would hate to shed a transmission in a 1998 355. It would probably cost you have an SRT 10 just to fix it.

You already know the car you want.

Wait until 2008. They are going to cost big money. But they are going to be awesome. From what I am hearing.

However a 2006 with a Paxton would be pretty hard to beat.

OP
OP
A

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is more of a muscle car.

I hadnt really thought of it that way..but as a kid my first loves were muscle cars..I didnt get into exotics until later in life. Viper is definately a muscle car first and exotic second.

Thanks for your thoughts.

J

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
IMHO, it all comes down to your personality. I've driven/ridden plenty of ferraris, and I just would not see myself owning them. The car does not fit my personality or lifestyle right now. Don't get me wrong, they are sweet automobiles.

On the other hand, the Viper is just right for me, especially in Black. I do not like to attract a lot of attention, but I love a FAST and TOUGH car that I can work on myself.

So if I were you, I'd wait and get an '08 SRT. Not only will it be a new model, but you will give the Ferrari a little more time to grow on you. After all, it was your dream car.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot imagine a car that attracts more attention than a Viper. If so I would not be able to have a convertible or clear windows.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot imagine a car that attracts more attention than a Viper. If so I would not be able to have a convertible or clear windows.

While a Viper attracts attention like crazy, pull up in a Lambo/Ferrari/Aston Martin and you'll notice a difference.

Friends who switched from a Gen II to Italians (One F360, the other a Lambo Murc) said the same.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're a Viper guy, come on back. As to the draw of exotics, and I travel with some guys who have these so it's a personal observation. A Murci or a 360 Spider (if red) will pull the attention from a Viper, any Gen. The Murci is King of the Hill for attention. A 355 will not, nor will a 360 coupe. A Testarossa if decked out with some nice HRE's will draw a bigger crowd than a 360 coupe or a 355 coupe or spider and will equal the Viper also.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with an Italian car for sure, or say an SL Mercedes is that it is all about pimping. If you do not have the latest version you are a has been. I think this is because the majority of owners are just guys who can spend the money, not real car enthusiasts who do their own work. I mean come on, if you drive up to a swanky restaurant valet in a Countach you are a total loser. A Viper however has a timeless quality. A 93 RT-10 has the same punch as an SRT-10 Coupe. Sure the ********* gold digger club girls in Scottsdale who have the blue book and auction results memorized as a filter for potential mates know right up front you are not funded if you drive up in a Viper, but a car guy, a guy at the local Saturday Night car show knows you are a car guy when you drive up in a Viper.

There are lots of exotics in this world. But only Viper has mass appeal without being pretentious. Just my two cents worth.
Well said, but I have to admit that I get as many or more comments/questions about my SRT-8 Jeep as I do about my Viper. "What is that" is the standard.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure the ********* gold digger club girls in Scottsdale who have the blue book and auction results memorized as a filter for potential mates know right up front you are not funded if you drive up in a Viper,

Oh my G!!!!!!!!! I am on the F in floor. LOL!!! LOL!!!!!!!! I am C in stars!

:2tu:

OP
OP
A

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long have you had the 355? Maybe give it a little longer and see if you come around.
It sounds like your a Viper guy at heart. I say come back and get yourself another Viper!

Ive had the 355 for a little over a year now...I kept my viper first 6 months I had the 355. I really didnt want to part with it but I couldnt financially justify both..Im not rich.

I dont drive the 355 nearly as much as I did the viper because Im terrified its going to break down and hit me with a 5 figure repair bill and every mile you put on these things ove 20k ( mine has 16k ) makes them almost impossible to sell.

I dont want to wait for the 08 srt ..too long..maybe i should get a used 05 SRT for cheap right now ( ~ $ 60k ? ) and put my order in for the 08 ?

I went to the dodge dealer to see about trading in the 355. They laughed at me and said I should sell it privately - offered me $60k for the 355..thats crazy as its mint and just had its $10k service. I cant seem to find a comparable one for less than $85k and most are in low 90s in as good a shape as mine is...so I was hoping theyd at least give me low/mid $70s. Sales manager said they dont want the hassle of selling a ferrari.

I appreciate all the advice..

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove a 98' F355 Spider during Spring Break in FL back in 99'. Yes, we got a lot of looks, but nothing more than what I think a Viper could've pulled. IMO, the F355 is a little underwhelming in looks. For the price tag at the time ($180k), I want something crazy outrageous and over the top (aka VIPER). The Ferrari was a great car and sounded awesome, but I just didn't feel like I was driving a car worth almost $200k! The looks of a 360 or 430 appeal more to my tastes, so maybe I'd feel differently if I drove one of them. I say stick your 355 in Dupont, get a 05' SRT like you mentioned and wait to see what 08' brings us.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much the 355's go for, but Iam sure that if the car is in good condition and reasonably priced you won't have trouble selling it. Believe it or not there is a big market out there for them.

Dupont registry, even Autotrader.com will do. Get going, you know what you really want... You just needed to hear us say it.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an appreciation for Ferraris and Porsches since they have a long race history. However, the styling does get dated when the new models come out except for a rare few. (The F40 for example) The main reason I preferred a Viper is that it's engine is just plain huge and is a detuned version of the engines that won LeMans.

When I drove a 1995 Gen I Viper, the fun was unreal. If you want to go faster, even in a Gen I, it's only a mod away. Not so simple with Italian exotics.

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife had an interestign take on this issue.

Have you seen the movie Talledaga Nights.

The Viper is Ricky Bobbie and the Ferarri is the F1 driver.

The Viper is good old boy fast. The Ferrari is fast none the less but it has a bit of a better than thou art edge to it.

But after all that it is your dream Drive what you love. You pay the freight.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good thread J-

I was in the same boat. I just love the 355, I personally think it's the best looking of the late model Ferraris. A real nice low mileage one such as yours was avail for aro the same price as my new Mamba and I thought about this long and hard.

What it came down to for me was... I guess I am sort of a meat and potatoes kinda-guy, tank tops and flip flops beach lover.. I just did not FEEL right in the F car. The maintenance costs were a secondary consideration.....

I think you should sell and get a SRT :)

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same Ferrari vs. Viper debate myself. What did it for me was the pit feeling in my stomach at the thought of a mechanical break in the Ferrari vs. a Dodge. No brainer - I drive too hard to be constantly worried about breaking things.

V10 ICBM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhm - the F355 has absolutely not enought torque or hp to make me even the slightest bit interested in that car. I can undetsand the initial Ferrari alure, and they do design elegant pieces. But you have to be able and willing to maintain it.
Unfortuantely, that car is not a great sports car. I truly enjoy (but am a bit sad) when I lap the living crap out of them at Mosport - they have no balls and feels the same as passing a WRX. It just is not thje same...its nothing really but something to wax in your garage between getting it fixed.

Frankly, I think in terms a value, the Ferrari does not deliver - however, I will try to be open minded on the 430, but it will not keep up to a GT3 easily.

Get rid of that boat anchor...do not look back. Get a good used SRT-10 or better yet, dump it, and get your deposit down on '08 Viper.

:cool:

OP
OP
A

anunakki

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I test drove my first SRT yesterday...I miss that torque. Im convinced...now I just have to see if I can trade the 355 in or if its better to sell it privately..I hate dealing w tire kickers and Im terrified someone is going to fry the clutch on a 'test drive'.

Ive noticed sticker prices between $85-$90k on the 06 verts in my area but if I go to Ebay it seems theres tons of 'Buy It Nows' in the $70s... Is it realistic to get a new 06 for mid $70s ?

The Ferrari=wine and cheese guy , Viper = ******* and beach guy is definately true... Im an ex guitarist, tattoos, t shirts, jeans ... I guess Im just more a viper guy.

Thanks for telling me what I already knew !

J

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dreamed of owning a 355 as well, and contemplated buying one someday. But after reading many post about ownership, it seems better left a dream.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how low '06 Vipers (especially Verts) can be purchased for. I'll let others chime in on that matter, as recent buyers would be a better source. But I recall under 70g's.

As for the 355, sell it on your own. Or if you don't mind losing 7-10g's, see what an exotic dealer in your area will give you for the car. I'm sure wholesale from a Ferrari/Exotic Dealer is more than a Dodge dealer would be willing to give.

Not sure of the laws in your state, but in PA you deduct the trade from the taxes owed on a new vehicle. This can still be done even if you sell the car to another dealership, but they must be willing to work together to get the paperwork right. Basically, I think the Dodge dealer would have to buy the car with the agreement that the Exotic dealership would buy it from them.

268Copperhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get great deals on low mileage used cars.

I loved the Copperhead and picked a 2005 with 372 miles for $68,000. Basically brand new. The original owner still had the plastic from the seats.

You can get used 2006 coupes for around $73,000.

You can great deals on some of the other colors. The market is so depressed you will save big time. It will offset some of your losses on the 355.

Bring on the *******.

My wife says its like riding in an amusement park ride.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alright I test drove my first SRT yesterday...I miss that torque. Im convinced...now I just have to see if I can trade the 355 in or if its better to sell it privately..I hate dealing w tire kickers and Im terrified someone is going to fry the clutch on a 'test drive'.

Ive noticed sticker prices between $85-$90k on the 06 verts in my area but if I go to Ebay it seems theres tons of 'Buy It Nows' in the $70s... Is it realistic to get a new 06 for mid $70s ?

The Ferrari=wine and cheese guy , Viper = ******* and beach guy is definately true... Im an ex guitarist, tattoos, t shirts, jeans ... I guess Im just more a viper guy.

J

Hey Buddy. I told you on FChat what you could get a new Viper for right now. Let me know if you want some help. A.J. (6.0SE)

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my 2001 RT 10 a while back ( originally purchased from pemberton ) and got my 'dream car' 1998 Ferrari F355 Spider. While that car has some fantastic attributes I dont know that its the car for me. Im not bonding with it the way i did with my viper.

People tell me this is ridiculous...its a Ferrari..a 'dream car' and one of the best looking/handling/sounding ones at that. I guess I was expecting more...Im not sure.,.I actually feel guilty for not loving the car.

When i drove the viper I felt 'comfortable'...I felt like our personalities matched ( I had a license plate that said 'Whtrash' which didnt fit the 355s personality) . With the 355 I feel like a poseur..its not the cars fault, but i feel uncomfortable. People stare way too much. They assume Im 'rich'. You get a lot of attitude. I never got that with the viper. I hope this doesnt come across the wrong way but it was like the viper was the 'working mans' exotic which people liked and the Ferrari breeds resentment ( unless im at the ********** where its a godsend...lol )

I also feel like the 355 is always ready to break and cost me another mortgage to get it going. It feels fragile. Delicate. Im constantly watching the needles and listening for strange sounds. I always felt like I could throw my viper around carelessly and it would never let me down ( and actually it never had anything other than routine maintenance in my 5 years of ownership ).

So Im seriously thinking of selling the 355 and getting a new SRT 10 either slate or yellow.

Im really interested in hearing thoughts from those who may have been in a similar situation.

J

First of all, if you are looking for a Slate SRT, we have a REALLY good deal locally at a dealership.

Now as for your "problem", I know exactly what you are talking about. As a person who has wanted a F355 for ages, I can tell you that the research has showed me a lot about the car. I nearly pulled the trigger on them a bunch of time and nearly bought two of them but after a test drive, I just felt that the power is not there.

As for your experiences with the attitudes that Ferrari's seem to bring, that is not your major concern. If you like the car and it makes you happy, then keep it but you have to think if you really want to. They are great cars to drive but they are no Viper. Like I stated above, the power is night and day and the repair costs are a nightmare sometimes. I am not sure which model you have (Spyder, GTS, or GTB Coupe), but the major costs are in the servicing. I see you have a 1998, so the 15,000 mile or 5 year service should have been done. That costs, depending on where you go, between $4,000 - $6,000 without a clutch. Clutches are around $2,000 or so last time I checked but they might be more like $3,000 now but do not quote me on that note. As for the other service, the 30,000 miles or 10 year service is the major problem since the major portion of that service is the belt replacement. They pull the engine and it runs at least $8,000 but can be up to $12,000 depending on the issues and what they replace.

I wish you good luck with your choice and feel free to ask me any other questions if needed.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

J

Hey Buddy. I told you on FChat what you could get a new Viper for right now. Let me know if you want some help. A.J. (6.0SE)

WOW. I was wondering who you were and now I know. I am DodgeViper01 on F Chat.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score

J

WOW. I was wondering who you were and now I know. I am DodgeViper01 on F Chat.

LOL. I had figured yours out awhile ago. Not many Viper guys over there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog