Factory Paint Match?

BlackGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All!

I own a 1999 GTS that in black. I am trying to get my front fascia painted as a have picked up a few chips along the way. It was minor marks and I am starting to think I was just being a tad too picky to have this done. Well needless to say the shop is having a hard time matching the factory paint and I was hoping for some help here. I know the paint code is MX3. The shop uses Standox and Spies Hecker products normally. After these too attempts failed to match, part looks fantastic but it is a very solid deep black as my car has a small tint of brown in it. The last attempt was to try PPG 9874 and again it is still off a bit. Has anyone had any experience with this color? I know the car has never had any paint work done. What gives here?

Can anyone provide me some info to pass along to this place so I can get my car done?

The ppg paint was just sprayed on a test panel to try to match in the sunlight, the bumper was not respayed again.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

Bryan

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in my area, some high quality paint supply stores can take a "photo" of your paint via special digital camera and download it for the computer to analyze and give out a formula. i have had great sucess with this on older cars where using a paint code does not help due to fading and so on. this assumes the painter is applying it correctly.

OP
OP
B

BlackGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The painter did mention that procedure and was going to try it next, he was just puzzled that he has tried multiple paint manufacturers and still unable to match. This shop has done work for me before and this painter is excellent. Just would love to know what Dodge uses at the factory (paint brand that is) and maybe that would help.

I just don't know why this car is being so difficult! :p

Thanks for the input and we will see what happens.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the factory paint is Sikkens if that helps.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
www.paintscratch.com They can match it.
I already bought some from them just in case, don't need it yet and won't need it hopefully. Your paint code is the same as mine I bet. The guy who runs this company is more than willing to get on the phone and help. I have had great results with two other cars that needed mild touchup matching, they were both metallic colors and they matched it perfectly.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory paint was Akzo Nobel. Sikkens is the retail equivalent of Akzo and the one you should use if you want this color matching nightmare over with.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snake Bite

Yes. As I remember only some of the early 1998's weren't Akzo Noble. They were PPG. All other years starting with 1992 were A.N.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An additional problem we face when painting the fascia and expecting it to match the body is that a flexible agent has to be mixed in to the paint that is put on the fascia so that the piece can move a bit without the paint cracking. Hard to do with some colors to get a good match with the paint on the hard non flexible parts of body. Horrible to do on white or silver. Sometimes solved by fading the flex agent up onto the rest of the body.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the flex agent go in the paint and clear both or just paint? Also have you done the black? If so, what brand paint and how good was the match?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On most cars a flex agent has to be in the primer and clear coat. Not sure about the color coat.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On most cars a flex agent has to be in the primer and clear coat. Not sure about the color coat.

I just had my front fascia repainted a few wks ago, and I believe they put it in the primer and clear coat only.

I asked around at car shows and by word of mouth on who to go to for the re-paint, and I am extremely pleased with how well he matched the sapphire blue!

Good luck on yours-it will be worth doing over, and you will love it! Total cost of mine was around $700

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96