"Fear" of driving a Viper

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying hopefully after I get back home after my vacation next week, i would have made plans to fly some where to pick up a viper gts. And then take her to Tony to get the roe supercharger installed. I know you guys are thinking to yourselves, "why not enjoy her for a little bit and then add the extra ponie." Well this what "I fear!"

If you are driving such a loud (sound and visual) car like the famous viper, i would think you would tend to get every smo and joe come out of the wood works looking to "race" you from stop lght to stop light or from 1 exit to the next. I have a M5 and on occassions I get people pull up next to me and want to race, well to there displeasure, i give them no time of day. Now the M5 is no slouch but come on it is a 4 door sedan. Sorry fellow M5 guys. The worst was a NSX I once drove. My god, everyday, no lie, I had at least 1 guy, never a girl, try to race. Well that is where it all started. The NSX is damn good looking but freakin slow. Now the viper is fast off the show room floor but then the times have changed. Pretty much every OEM is making a rocket of a car. M series, AMG, SRT, LS series...... Yeah I once owned a 350 with twin turbo and blew the doors off these cars, but then the motor blew up. :D I fear these assholes pulling up next to me in there ticking time bombs or these things called Z06's puling up and walking away.

Yeah I know I am being malodramatic.....but come on guys, I know you guys fear this too.

Tony ? said that 2000 and up with roe will get 550 rhp and 590 for the 96 to 99. I hope that is enough.

So let's hear some stories of you guys, especialy the ones with FI, to speak up. My imaginary shrink said it is good to open up with all your fears.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got a long story but to make it short...

after 1 1/2 years of no viper, I picked up my car at DLM 3 weeks ago with 800+rwhp
thats about 250 more than previous
been afraid to go over 5K rpm's since for that reason and also cause i blew the motor more than once in the last 1 1/2 years (gun shy to say the least)
last night again i didnt need to go over 5k against an SL65 with some mods done to it, but its gonna happen when i line up next to a high hp car. so im gonna **** it up and floor it tonight for fun to get used to it.

my crawl/walk/run theory is gone after that...lol

so, to heck with that enjoying it now while its slow stuff ! get it, send it to tony (great choice by the way) and THEN enjoy it !!!

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
plumcrazy, did you blow the motor running the roe?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no not at all, nothing to do with roe or his products.

too long of a story to type, sorry

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks. yeah Tony was great on the phone. his price was amazing I thought. with 850 and good traction, I would be like bring it on. Who is next. Just kidding. Just knowing you have 850 would put a big **** grin on my face.No need to show it. Congrads on your new ride setup.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1TONY1 knows the Roe. He's proved it where it counts (at the track). For best reliability and more power I would stay in the 96-98 GTS range.

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
plumcrazy, speaking of. I see a silver gts in your avatar. I am looking at a 98 silver gts in kansas. Looks clean but not sure of the color. Looks plain for a viper. what are your opions on the color choice and would you, had the chance opt for a deifferent color. thanks in advance.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
silver and B/W were the only colors i was interested in. i like that a silver car will fade into traffic and not be seen as easily. its by FAR the best color to keep clean which was one of my main reasons for wanting it.

keep in mind silver is probably the toughest color to paint, so if your car was touched up, its easier to spot which helps when buying it.

but to answer your wuestion, NO i wouldnt trade it for any other color

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it's just that i found a silver grey that looks pretty damn good, but it is a 2000. well anyway I guess I will choose one real soon.

.......back to the topic.......

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just yell out the window..."bring that POS to Willow!" I've not seen one yet.

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just yell out the window..."bring that POS to Willow!" I've not seen one yet.

man I love that. But I live in Atlanta and if you stick your head out and scream, you might get shot.:omg: yeah normaly I would not waste my time but if you are being tailed by another sports car like a stang or a vette, what do you do. I never condone street racing but my ******* over comes by brains sometimes.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my ******* over comes by brains sometimes.

i hear ya, but to be honest, there isnt much on the road to worry about if ya know how to drive your viper...just do it safely

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only Viper I'd be "fearful" of driving is Walt's TT (not sure if he's a VCA member yet or not). It's disturbingly powerful, and built to put that power to the pavement. He left an open invitation, but......how much are plane tickets to Oklahoma? :)

Street racing is for tossers & sheep shaggers (props to whomever gets that reference first).

I get guys (never any ladies) pulling up next to me and doing a "tachometer function check" all the time. It grew tiresome quickly, so I decided to have a little fun with it....
[START ADULT HUMOR]
I keep a couple of packets of mayo in the truck for these special times. When Jimmy PepBoys Exhaust Tip revs it up and does the 'wanna go?' symbol, I play along.
Oh sure.
I rev it up and do some pretend staging, maybe a chirp or two of the tires to reiterate I'm serious.
I grab the mayo pack and prep it by tearing off one corner and holding it in my right hand just below the window line.
Then.....just before the light changes, and he looks over one last time......
I crush the mayo packet and spurt it out all over the inside of the side window while throwing my head back in faux-rapture.
:D :D :D
He takes off like he's winning something, and will arrive at his destination with a pretty disturbing image running around in his head.
[END ADULT HUMOR]
My work here is done.

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only Viper I'd be "fearful" of driving is Walt's TT (not sure if he's a VCA member yet or not). It's disturbingly powerful, and built to put that power to the pavement. He left an open invitation, but......how much are plane tickets to Oklahoma? :)

Street racing is for tossers & sheep shaggers (props to whomever gets that reference first).

I get guys (never any ladies) pulling up next to me and doing a "tachometer function check" all the time. It grew tiresome quickly, so I decided to have a little fun with it....
[START ADULT HUMOR]
I keep a couple of packets of mayo in the truck for these special times. When Jimmy PepBoys Exhaust Tip revs it up and does the 'wanna go?' symbol, I play along.
Oh sure.
I rev it up and do some pretend staging, maybe a chirp or two of the tires to reiterate I'm serious.
I grab the mayo pack and prep it by tearing off one corner and holding it in my right hand just below the window line.
Then.....just before the light changes, and he looks over one last time......
I crush the mayo packet and spurt it out all over the inside of the side window while throwing my head back in faux-rapture.
:D :D :D
He takes off like he's winning something, and will arrive at his destination with a pretty disturbing image running around in his head.
[END ADULT HUMOR]
My work here is done.

man i read this while having dinner. a projectile appeared with a "woah" look from the wife.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pingi,
I would really advise against getting the Viper supercharged before you drive it for awhile first.

I know you've had fast cars in the past but the Viper is a totally different beast. I bought mine about a year ago and I have owned fast cars before. My 93 RX-7 was at least as fast as my Viper was when I bought it, but the torque and power felt very foreign to me. I can guarantee you have never driven anything like the Viper.
Take the time to drive your Viper and understand it. Get to know it with the power it has. It will be a real handful with the supercharger and you may end up afraid of it instead of the competition ;)

Even stock you will not have to worry about other cars. If you get scared, don't race, it's that easy.
Then when you are ready, get the S/C installed and have fun. It'll be like a new toy and you can get used to driving it again. Then you can go race and show how tough you are.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could just buy an already finished sc'd with brake mods, etc. That's what I did. Car has $50,000 or more mods done to it and I paid $55,000.

As far as power and street racing goes, once you've got a Roe you'll notice that you need more room than 1 lane and you'll learn how to 'soft shift' so you don't fishtail. I found that PS2s are needed for traction, or slicks.

Street racing is mostly for slower cars.

Ted

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Learn the car first then add the power. You'll find that in it's stock form, it still is tough to beat.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper will teach you patience. Sometimes there's a lineup of people telling you how nice your car is, LOL.

Last week I had a gas jockey run out and tell me, "Man, this is a beautiful car." I said, "Thanks" while I was doing his job and pumping the gas into my car. "No, you don't understand," he said, "It's my dream car. I've dreamed about this car ever since I was 3 years old." Yadda, yadda, then he asked me what color it was? Yes, I have a high tolerance for other people. I'm glad that his whole week was made better just because I came to his gas station to get airmiles (for the wife's dream Cruiseship holdiay each year).

Everyone saying that you need to be careful is correct. The Viper is a much more aggressive car to drive than all my other cars, including my old, faster, Prostreet cars.

Ted

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Learn the car first then add the power. You'll find that in it's stock form, it still is tough to beat.
Definately. Going 600 plus horsepower in your first Viper can spell trouble pretty quickly unless your accustomed to cars with that kind of a power to weight ratio.Nothing against you M-5 but a 10 second Viper (right where you will be with that kind of power )is a whole different ballgame.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the car the way you want and enjoy it and use your good judgement. To have some great fun ... find a local private road course and catch the Viper Days when in your area. :drive:

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that is what I am talking about. great advices guys cause basicaly the viper is a race car mated fro street use. All other toys I have owned was street then speed(some what). And don't get me wrong, I am older/mature now and fret upon street racing but like I said we own these types of cars so we can go fast or know that we can if we wanted. God made speed a thrill and I thank him for it and that is what makes us guys......But just hate to see a EVO tuned pull up and spank a viper. OK there I have said it. There is a white evo out here in atlanta that spanked me in my M5. i am getting a Viper so I can go find him......Kidding aside, Can't wait to go squirly in 3rd gear.

Oh on a side note, getting tired of seeing those youtube videos of FI viper waling away from Hayabusa's and then readng those ******** remarks about if I was on that Busa it would not even be close. I love bikes and they are fast. I have ridden for years and actualy was licensed to race WERA. But I will tell you that I have ridden around with a Viper before and these things pull hard. Usually the bikes will eventualy pull away, but the viper just pulled right along. Impressed the crap out of me. Love most bikers but we have a few jerkies around atlanta that think biking is a game and the 6 lane I-85 through downtown atlanta is a race track.

All this viper talk is getting me excited and can not wait till I get back even though enjoying my vacation with the kids and wife.

Does anybody still feel 550 to 600 rwp is adequate and wish for more. I know Tony is going TT cause he maxed out at 1000 with the roe. Personaly I can not imagine 1000 HP. but then again he tracks his, I think.

V

Venomiss

How about buy the car and take it to VOI first. Then let Tony have it after you are familiar with the Viper. Drive it on Chelsea proving grounds for autocross.

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does anybody still feel 550 to 600 rwp is adequate and wish for more. I know Tony is going TT cause he maxed out at 1000 with the roe. Personaly I can not imagine 1000 HP. but then again he tracks his, I think.

Admittedly yes - you can never have enough power but it is still awesome and perhaps even more important - it is reliable and warranteed 600hp which may or may not be true on a 'tuned' car. That said, my husband's has belangers on his '08 along w/3.33's and haven drivin it ... I have to say I like his at 670hp ... fortunately I can flash a smile :D and borrow it and still have mine when I want a little quieter ride. :2tu:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man i read this while having dinner. a projectile appeared with a "woah" look from the wife.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Sorry Mrs. Pingi3.
There are simply too many doofs out there *not* to have some fun.

:lmao::lmao:Kevan, I'd love to see you actually do that:lmao::lmao:
Pull up next to me in a Mustang and rev your engine a bunch of times.
Put on fingerless driving gloves to further garner my attention.

good way to get your a$$ kicked.... or shot:rolleyes:
Gotta catch me first. :D

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I ever have my first drive behind the wheel the first few miles will definately be nerve racking from fear of ending up wrecking the car like so many people already did. People say just be careful and the Viper will drive like any other car... but the next moment I get sad visions coming from wreckedexotics.com :(

OP
OP
P

pingi3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
by the way this is all frankly speaking.........I fear no car in everyday life to life situation. Just love cars in general and a part of driving a fast car. just good old banter.

so no one hear is afraid that another specific sports car pulls up next to them? How about a TT 911

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Mrs. Pingi3.
There are simply too many doofs out there *not* to have some fun.

Pull up next to me in a Mustang and rev your engine a bunch of times.
Put on fingerless driving gloves to further garner my attention.

Gotta catch me first. :D

I always put my racing helmet on! :lmao:

My RT/10 was extremely loud (straight pipes). But I found that most (worthy) challengers in their modified vettes, Mustangs and Camaros were only interested in giving me thumbs up and/or compliments. Very rarely would they suggest anything more than exchanging a few words of appreciation.

Most ricers would generally avoid me all together. If I was passing one and slowed to match their speed, they would slow down even further. Occasionally, at a light, one would start that rev'ing crap with their 16 year old girlfriend in the car. Generally, I would just ignore him until the light was about to turn green, then I'd finally acknowledge his existence by looking over and giving a big yawn. Then the girlfriend just starts laughing at him. :rolaugh: One time I said, "you better enjoy her now, because when she turns 18, she's with me!" and I drove off as he sat there processing what I just said...she just smiled at me. :lmao:

Who gave me the most issues were the Neon SRT owners - these guys are worse than "ricers", they are "gnats". I remember one 16 year old kid coming up to me and saying something like, "Hey man, nice Viper. I have one too. Well...it's like a Viper, it's an SRT" (as he was pointing to his yellow Neon). I was like, nice mini-Viper kid. Then he had the nerve of following and pacing me for a few miles. Stalker. :rolleyes:

Man I got off track with my war stories...sorry...

If you feel you'll eventually want more power, then go ahead and get the power now. No need to fear the car, because the car's not going to cause you harm. Until the Autobots & Decepticons take over the automotive world, every Viper out there will only be as quick & fast (or dangerous & stupid) as its driver. :2tu:

PROVERBS 32:1 Do not fear the Viper! :nono:

Last edited: