fibregalss side sill painting

newelly

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a pair of the A.P. Engineering, Inc side sills (great people to deal with and a great looking product) anyone have these and know what the painting proceedure is..as when I find a place to do them I want to know they are doing it correctly...thanks for your tips

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be doing my Autoform sills here in the future and it was pointed out by Jon at Parts Rack that there is a need for a flex additive in the paint to keep chipping under control.

I saw another post recently about painting the fascia and it was mentioned to use the flex agent in the primer and clear, but not the base color.

I would find a shop, bring this up, ask for the specs they offer, and then post them back here.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be doing my Autoform sills here in the future and it was pointed out by Jon at Parts Rack that there is a need for a flex additive in the paint to keep chipping under control.

I saw another post recently about painting the fascia and it was mentioned to use the flex agent in the primer and clear, but not the base color.

I would find a shop, bring this up, ask for the specs they offer, and then post them back here.

That is just not true. You only add flex agent when painting flexable body panels (ie urethane bumpers), not to discourage chipping on fiberglass. Furthermore, flex agent has a way of changing the color sometimes... These should be sealed and painted in a urethane based system. Better yet they could be baked to promote better/full polymerization. They will chip no matter what you do,

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently ordered a pair from A.P. Engineering and they will paint them for you at an additional cost. I am having them paint mine.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is just not true. You only add flex agent when painting flexable body panels (ie urethane bumpers), not to discourage chipping on fiberglass. Furthermore, flex agent has a way of changing the color sometimes... These should be sealed and painted in a urethane based system. Better yet they could be baked to promote better/full polymerization. They will chip no matter what you do,

Uh-oh. You're contrary to Jon B's advise? I thought I was set!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't the manufacturer paint them? Maybe ask them.

I ordered mine bare (primed) so as to have a bit more freedom in banging them around when fitting them. Doing a side exhaust conversion too so they will be on and off the car many times.

That's why I am choosing to paint them afterward at a local shop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi