Finally bought a 97 b/w GTS!

fervor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am new to the forum but have been a lurker for months and months. Gleaned a ton of information that really helped me find the right GTS. I have wanted a blue/white GTS since they came out and it is great to finally have one. It's this one here:

You must be registered for see images

It's a 17K mile car. I drove it back from Chicago on Thursday and was impressed that it was actually a pretty decent road car. However, cruise control would be nice :laugh:

I already got bit by the thing. Some spirited driving the other night in a stretch of abandoned road wound up with me checking a curb. I'll consider it a wakeup call. I'm lucky, I injured the passenger side wheel and knicked up the fascia in front of the wheel. Stupidity is never rewarded. I guess I thought I knew the car better than I did. I road course a 1966 G.T. 350 so maybe I over estimated my driving skills too! ;-) I would imagine the original Michelins, being 8+ years old (but with plenty of tread) probably didn't help. However, there are no excuses, it was my fault.

So, the car will be at the dealer for alignment and hopefully nothing worse. then I'll have to have the knick fixed somehow as well (it's hard to notice, I didn't see it until I put the car up on a jack to check for damage).

Regardless, wanted to thank you guys collectively for all the good info that led to the purchase!

-bob

OP
OP
F

fervor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agreed! I'm leaning towards Michelin Sport Cups. However, Tire Rack doesn't show them in the right sizes for 17" wheels. I've read that they come in 285 and 345 instead of the stock sizes, but all I could find was the fronts on Tire Rack. There a better source out there? Any other stellar recommendations for a good street tire?

I have a replacement OEM wheel on order from Parts Rack, btw.

-bob

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't put cruise control on a race car! Anyway congrats on the bad-ass Viper. You need to lower your Viper asap with Eibach springs.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats. Let me know what you are doing for tires. I am in the same boat you are with originals. :>

Nice color choice! :>

New97owner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! I like the color... ;)
You will LOVE it, I know I have had mine only a few weeks, but the smile on my face says it all... :headbang:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Finally bought a 97 b/w GTS!

If you drive long distances and value your right knee, cruise control is a great addition. Ignore the naysayers.