Finding a theft RT

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been searching the net relentlessly for the past several months and have come across countless salvage and rebuilt vipers across the country. I noticed this morning though that I have yet to see one theft recovery. Any ideas as to why?

Now I've been on this salvage thread many, many times and I don't wish to start another battle of rich verses wrong. I'm looking for a Viper and if a Salv/theft puts me where I want to be (the cheaper the better) then lets just please leave it be.

Since I don't really have much ability to fix / repair body / frame work I figure a theft recovery would be right up my alley. Tis much better to put something back together that isn't broken as opposed to a twisted pile where nothing looks right and nothing fits where it belongs.

So where are they? I've looked on the GOV auctions, insurance auction sites, even ebay but have yet to cross one. Also do you think they would run any lower then the salvage? Lastly is there anyone on the board with a license who would be willing to help me ****** one up (for a small fee of course) should I come across a worthy carcass? As usual I appreciate any help that you can give.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I noticed this morning though that I have yet to see one theft recovery. Any ideas as to why?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because Vipers don't get stolen! I believe last year one Viper was stolen in the entire country, someone correct me if this is wrong.

OP
OP
Bonkers

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well today I have finally seen my first Viper GTS Theft up for auction on Ebay. The asking price (to me) is absurd (20,000 reserve not met) for a car stripped of hood, motor, and fenders. My figuring:

30,000 at least for purchase
10,000 on hood if I find one
07,000 cheapest motor found to date.
10,000 on all the not-named missing parts
--------
57,000+ for 98 GTS w/clear title.

Is it worth it? If it is to you just search ebay.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first understand that you will never be able to put a stripped or wrecked viper togather with new parts cheaper than buying one that is straight. But if you have the tools, knowledge, time and resources (to find good used parts) you can save money on a builder. The last hood I bought had less that 1 hrs damage and I paid $1000 plus $300 freight. I would not spend over $5000 on a perfect used hood. Lots of parts out there you just have to know where to look. also remember a wrecked or stripped car will NEVER be worth as much (even if it is perfect) than a comparable one that was never damaged.

OP
OP
Bonkers

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Oh I believe that, I really do, but on this particular vehicle the parts to be replaced far outweigh the initial cost of the carcass. Its one of the reasons I'm seeking the salvage/theft, I have the time and energy to hunt down the cheaper parts and hopefully get me something worth wild today (to stretch the costs out over time) without starving to death. Looking at this car I see an entire engine replacement, tranny replacement, hood, entire electrical overhaul and probably brake/suspension work. The only thing working for it are the airbags and gauges (a significant plus, granted) If this car was being sold at $20k it would defiantly be considered, $15k I'd find a way to get the cash this afternoon, but I have a feeling its final total is going to go way beyond that.

Just out of curiosity how much does everyone think its worth? Am I being too unrealistic?

Dan, did you get my email on that Copart Viper?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4