Firestone Firehawk Tires

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with these tires, Buddy of mine wants to put them on his Corvette and he is a little green when it comes to buying tires. He just bought the car and it needs rubber. I know some of the members have Corvettes and would like some input good, bad, ugly.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Corvette is almost due for it's first set of new tires and the Firestones are not even being considered. (nothing against F/S, just put a new set on my Jeep) For the Vette though, its between Nitto Invo, Bridgestone RE-11, BFGoodrich KDW, Kumho Ecsta XS, and Michelin PS2. I will probably go with the Invos cuz of price and ride quality -for a street/highway driven car, the only tire better than the Invo is the PS2, but not sure about $400.00 better. If I knew I would be doing some track days with this car, I'd go with the RE-11s or the XS. For visual appeal, the KDWs. I had KDWs on a Saturn Sky redline, and they were great -except for the noise. Hope this insight helps.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all the tire companies one comes to mind as having two major tire recalls where they made their reputation by denying that there was anything wrong with their tires and blaming it on the consumer. --> Firestone.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I put them on a 94 Vette and didn't like the way they rode plus they sit higher. Part of it is they claim to high higher mileage; but, I would never use them again, of course that was eight years ago.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all the tire companies one comes to mind as having two major tire recalls where they made their reputation by denying that there was anything wrong with their tires and blaming it on the consumer. --> Firestone.
Yeah, I remember that stuff, but I'm not burned on Firestone for that reason. I just think that for 'spirited driving' in a sports car that is as well balanced as the Corvette, the tires I mentioned are way better choices than the Firehawk.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I put them on a 94 Vette and didn't like the way they rode plus they sit higher. Part of it is they claim to high higher mileage; but, I would never use them again, of course that was eight years ago.
Yeah, they just aren't that great of a tire. Or one might say they ****. :crazy2:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean 08?
No, it's a 2006 year model. I bought it new in July '07 as a leftover. It was blue with silver stripes. When I did the SRT track experience, the 2008s just came out. They had a Venom Red at the event. I fell in love with that color in the sunlight. Almost wanted to trade up to an 08 just for the color. -fast forward to Sept. 2008, had a really bad off track excursion and hit a big ugly rock. Needed a new front clip and right fender. Here was my opportuity to have Venom Red. Costed me extra to re-paint the whole car, but I feel better with it like this. (doesn't feel like the car I crashed in every time I get in it) plus I love the color. I keep the old broken stuff in the garage in front of the car as a reminder though. -So, I have experienced first hand, that if you are over-confident, and disrespect the car, it will bite. ......don't ask how I know.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it would take before someone called me out on my car's color. -being that Venom Red is a 'love it or hate it' color.

OP
OP
S

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I was trying to get him to put on the PS2s before I asked for your opinions. He said he could get them cheaper through his company, yadayadayada. I will show him this thread as this is his first sports car and has no idea the importance of a great tire.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang