First drive after picking up the Viper... 1 ticket already :(

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took out the Viper tonight just to give my brother a ride after picking it up from the dealer a few hours earlier and I got a ticket for no front license plate. No warning, no nothing. It's $110 over here so it's not cheap. Oddly enough, it was about 1 hour after I emailed JonB, inquiring about a front license plate holder. No breaks already :( Luckily I was not speeding.

Two cops came out. One was cool and had lots of questions. The other didn't really care that I actually wanted to purchase a front plate holder. He told me that I should fight it and just bring in the car to court or take a picture of it with the front plate on. He could have cut me some slack but that's life I suppose. The cool cop asked, "It must be hard not to speed in this car, huh?" I said, "I don't know, I haven't had it long enough to even try :) ".

I stopped by to get some gas just before. The cashier asked me two questions:

1. Is it a Lamborghini?
2. How much did it cost?

It's a good thing he was far enough away that he couldn't see the "front speakers" on the hood :)

That Viper is gonna be quite the experience, I tell ya. It's all good :2tu:
Santo

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't lose sleep over the ticket but definitely go to court and say it's a specialty vehicle that does not come standard with a front plate holder and if the police are that bad locally get an aftermarket holder.
Liked your gas station story. Any time you need an ego boost just take out your Viper. Have fun but be careful. :2tu:

chenner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Santo definitely fight it.

I got the same ticket a year ago when I had my Camaro SS. The cop was being a [******] and didn't care for the fact that I was going to the dealer that day and told him I would have it put on (had it on a bracket in the back seat).
At the court date, first of all the cop didn't show. But after I told the prosecutor what had happened he asked if I had anything written from the dealer that said they put it on. And then he asked if I had the car outside so he can see it.
I think that even if the cop showed up the prosecutor may have been willing to let this one go.

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the ticket, but congrats with the beast!!! Just watch out.. the next tickets to come are for speeding. It is inevitable.. Well for me it was :laugh:

Post more pics!!

Erik

Don_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First ticket in my viper was for no front plate also. Fight the ticket for sure... found out later that this ticket affects my insurance :( I haven't got a ticket in about 10 years until I got my viper. I got 3 tickets in about a year time. arrgggg!

V

venms96

The Cop could have gone easier on you, with a warning, that's for sure. However, you wrote:

"He told me that I should fight it and just bring in the car to court or take a picture of it with the front plate on."

He's giving you a chance here. If he was a total #@&*#^@, you would have never heard that. He's telling you something......take him up on it.

Venms96
1996 GTS - Stock

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure if I'll fight it. I can't see wasting a 1/2 day or so for a measily $110 although it would be an easy win. Now, if it effects my insurance, I'll fight it for sure. I can't see how it would but maybe I'll call my insurance to ask, just to be sure.

Notice that I never said I thought the cop was being an a$$. I thought he was doing his duty and he went out of his way to explain things to me. He told me he stops lots of Vettes because they also come from dealers without front plates and you have to specifically ask for them.

Oddly enough, although it is blastphemy, I asked my dealer about installing a front plate holder and he said that he'd have to drill holes so I declined as I knew there was one that was mentioned here that didn't require holes. It was my fault really and I can't deny it. I also hate making excuses so the cop was correct.

Now my Stealth had a front plate holder that did not require holes. Maybe I'll slip bu the dealership and ask about what the options are. I'd hate to get another ticket for something that stupid.

Santo

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was parked and I happened to come out just in time before the cop was going to tow my car for not having the front plate. Cop said it was only going to be a 20 dollar parking ticket then came back from his car and handed me the ticket. It was for $120!!!!! I'm 22 so I'm sure he thought he would mess with me just to be an ass. He said that if i could afford a car like that, I can afford a ticket. I said not necessarily. He then asked the most annoying question of all for me...How much did it cost? I had the ticket already and obviously was getting out of it so I said that it wasnt any of his business lol. Probably not the answer he was looking for. I had the option of 4 courthouses so I knew the cop wouldnt be there, saw a hearing officer, brought in a pic of the plate on the front of the car and was out in 2 minutes free and clear to enjoy the rest of the day. :headbang:

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There must be some conspiracy these days but last week I got pulled over by a prickless wonder Schaumburg cop for squealing tire. It was below 50 degrees and I didn't have best traction but I certainly wasn't driving recklessly... Anyway, I ended up getting 3 tickets - 1) squealing tires 2) no front plates and 3) tint. He rubs in and stated that had I just admitted to reckless driving and apologized that I wouldn't have gotten those tickets...RIGHT Anyone know what this could cost me? Ticket doesn't say an amount but that I need to show up to court.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...... Oddly enough, it was about 1 hour after I emailed JonB, inquiring about a front license plate holder.

I will be happy to back-date the invoice to the day before the infraction.
It may help you show "intent" in court.

Just REMIND me when you finally order.......