First Exhaust mod ...

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Low cost mod that (I hear) will up-grade the sound for bigger smiles all around ...

Remove the resonator and flip the muffler end for end.

Am I right that this will improve the sound and not throw codes?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't throw any codes doing that - all the changes happen after the O2 sensors, so there's nothing sensing the changes downstream. In general, you could go high-flow cats and take out the resonators and mufflers and it will sound pretty good if you're looking for a loud and inexpensive change. Otherwise, I found the 'old style' Borla exhaust to sound really good on my GTS.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eliems , I'm contemplating removing the resonator myself or removing the cats first and see how that go. I think there are
4 O2 sensors on our Vipers , two before the cats and two after the resonators .I wonder how the rear O2's will react to the cat delete? My car is bone stock other than rear gear change and don't really want any hassle with the aircare nazis. Let me know what you do and post results. Won't licence the car for another few weeks so I have time to decide .

You must be registered for see images

1999 GTS , weekend warrior , 1996 Mustang GT DD

You must be registered for see images

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Reversing the muffler/reasonator should cause more restriction, not less. At least it does on 'normal mufflers' and reasonators. I haven't cut open a Viper res., but I assume that it is designed for maximium performance and least resistance the way it is installed.

Once you remove the cats you will keep getting cel (usually) unless you buy hi-flow cats or ...

There is a Ricer fix for rear sensors without Cats although there is 02 sensor "dummies"/sims that you can buy.

The ricer fix is to buy 2 packages of non-foulers for sparkplugs. Drill one set (2) out to the size that allows the 02 sensor's probe to ********* through the bottom of the one non-fouler. Screw the drilled non-fouler into the unmodified non-fouler. Screw the non-fouler into the rear 02 sensor **** in the exhaust and the 02 sensor into the drilled non-fouler. Once you're done this for both sides you should be OK and not get any engine codes with the Cat removed.

Occaissionally someone removes the cats and doesn't get a CEL/code, but mostly they get the code in a short while. It usually takes a little bit to set a code. My car took from 5 miles to 200 miles to set codes. I kept resetting them until I installed the non-foulers. My car with the oxy sims would sometimes set a code every thousand miles and I'd hook up back to the rear oxy sensors and then back to the sims when that set codes (PIA).

Money will buy "Oxygen sensor simulators" that plug in place of the 02 sensors. Some cars sill set codes with or without the sims. My car liked the non-foulers best.

Ted

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To be clear, I was planning on removing the resonator and then flipping the muffler around end for end.

I read about flipping the muffler here on the forum but it would seem to me that should reduce constriction and increase exhaust flow and decibels.

No???

Has anyone done these mods?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what year is your car :dunno:

are you talking about the muffler on a rear exit car :eater:

(not sure what is in a gen 1 sill - resonator and muffler:dunno:)

OP
OP
E

eliems

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2000 RT/10... rear exit, the cat and reasonator are in the sill while the muffler is at the rear of the car.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Eliems, if all you want is a bit better sound , find a muffler shop that sells Magnaflow for Vipers. I bet just replacing the muffler alone would improve the sound . I'm only interested reducing heat that causing discolouring the paint on the sill.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the clarification (i have an '02 rt)

from what i understand, the resonator reduces much of the drone, the stock muffler is a tank, heavy and restrictive and does most of the sound suppression

before i reversed the muffler - with the mind to least out of pocket and experimentation - , i'd replace the muffler with some straight pipe and see if that sound level is right, too much or too little

once you examine the stock muffler, i doubt you will want to put that monster back on (unless you want to maintain stock "look")

when i had mine cut off, i planned to keep it, until i saw it off the car.....happily left it on the floor of the muffler shop

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, i don't think the muffler is louvered, so flipping may not do anything, there is a pic of a cut away muffler on here somewhere

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Low cost mod that (I hear) will up-grade the sound for bigger smiles all around ...

Remove the resonator and flip the muffler end for end.

Am I right that this will improve the sound and not throw codes?

I cannot imagine anyone taking the time and effort to do that to the muffler.
No codes will come up until you remove the cats.
Opt.1: Removing the side sill resonator and leaving the rear muffler will sound lousy and produce drone enough to cause hearing damage. Little change in volume level.
Opt.2: Removing the cat alone will sound lousy and produce drone, not as much as above, but still more than you'll be willing to put up with. Little change in volume level.
Opt.3: Removing the rear muffler. Despite some info above, it will not make a huge difference, and I don't think that's what you're going for. It will sound better than the above two, somewhat. SnakeOyl makes a muffler delete set-up, or did.
Opt.4: Removing the cat (or replacing with a high flow, or sims) and the side resonator while leaving the rear muffler will be as loud as you will ever want and still be able to carry on a conversation at highway speed with little to no drone. If you go that way, you'll know that the rear muffler is not (as claimed above) that restrictive! It's also made of stainless, and looks great from behind when it's nicely pollished. Rtttted's heard mine, and although his is louder by far, I'm sure he'd agree that mine is one of the louder ones in our crowd.

That's my $0.02, and you can guess that I've tried all of the above and ended up at opt.4. Let us know how you make out.

Greg

Last edited: