First Gen V vs Gen V race?

Not Dads

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to come share this with you guys, had the privilege of riding in one of these and I was really impressed by the car all around, awesome interior, the car sounded amazing, and such a beautiful exterior. If I hadn't just picked up a new Z I'd consider buying one for sure! Forgive the V12 comment, it had been a long day! hahah

Kyle

Race video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTr4ilZSiC8

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it from someone that did a hard break-in on his 08 Viper (and all of his other previous cars) they run the best that way. Mine made 560rwhp stock, ran 10's stock, had almost 48k on the original engine and trans, and ran like a champ never burning oil or having issues. That red SRT will be a strong one in a few thousand miles, no doubt.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see the Gen 5 run,but are they crazy racing someones brand new Viper and then keeping the plastic on the seats,like no one will know.No new car dealer
should ever do that...

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who is the UGR launch edition owner that said he is going to TT it? Hope he posts his build here :)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes, sure doesn't seem like a good ad form that dealer, plastic wrapped new car and racing it. Hard break in is one thing, but smacking off the cutoff like that by someone who obviously can't drive .. does not speak well of those guys IMO. But maybe they'll show the vid to prospective buyers, which would be ok I guess then.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OUCH! Not cool at all!! I guess, that's one way to sell cars.. Take it to the track, bounce off the rev limiter and tell everyone what a great car it is:rolleyes:

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of your break-in philosophy, I think the customer should choose how the car is driven for the first few miles.....not the dealership!!!

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mileage on the clock will show its not new.
Also Id prefer a car driven like this than one babied.
That being said, I hope they let it warm up a little first..!

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is the UGR launch edition owner that said he is going to TT it? Hope he posts his build here :)

Cody Whitehead, who used to own ART in Buda, TX. The new shop is Whitehead Motorsports, and he's got a ton of other cars that he has as projects as well. I believe he also owns 2 UGR TT Gallardo's (race packages). He actually let me sit in his Launch Edition saturday :D

Bernie said the car has over 300 miles on it already (the red one). I'm sure he would disclose what the car has been through, and I would have no problem buying the car for a couple of grand under MSRP because of it. The car does have a warranty, so I wouldn't be worried :p

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mileage on the clock will show its not new.
Also Id prefer a car driven like this than one babied.

Exactly my thoughts. For people to get all worked up over this is crazy. Other companies do something similar, even more so before the car is delivered to the customer.

Lucra, 2:30 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EbQjzZbwQM

Koenigsegg, 7:04 mark, 10:30 mark, 14:37 mark & 18:33 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_qxKWMsVw

Ferrari, 41:20 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFYeP6AXCA4

to name a few.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard nothing bad about Tomball l,but in seeing that they ran some ones new car like that,I would not buy a Viper from them. Period...No matter what the price.. Woodhouse wound NEVER allow that to happen.They need to tell the new owner of this mistake and the dealer should never let this happen again..

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, you all really like to jump the gun and pile on, on any subject at all.

Has Tomball listed it as new with 5 miles on the odometer? How do we not know they aren't keeping it as a demo for the mean time? They have a solid reputation, but don't let speculation get in the way!

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it from someone that did a hard break-in on his 08 Viper (and all of his other previous cars) they run the best that way. Mine made 560rwhp stock, ran 10's stock, had almost 48k on the original engine and trans, and ran like a champ never burning oil or having issues. That red SRT will be a strong one in a few thousand miles, no doubt.

yuuuuuuup.....

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, you all really like to jump the gun and pile on, on any subject at all.

Has Tomball listed it as new with 5 miles on the odometer? How do we not know they aren't keeping it as a demo for the mean time? They have a solid reputation, but don't let speculation get in the way!

Agreed, they are well known, having the bad driver lean over in the camera and say it's for sale, etc., is not the greatest representation for them. But like I posted, if they disclose all this, show the vid, I guess it's all good .. they have a strong rep, this singular thing wouldn't make me not use them. Like posted above, if they offered that car to for $98K for ex., I'd take it tomorrow and tell the noobs to stop driving my car. lol

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts. For people to get all worked up over this is crazy. Other companies do something similar, even more so before the car is delivered to the customer.

Lucra, 2:30 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EbQjzZbwQM

Koenigsegg, 7:04 mark, 10:30 mark, 14:37 mark & 18:33 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp_qxKWMsVw

Ferrari, 41:20 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFYeP6AXCA4

to name a few.

Uh .. meh. Not really the same. SRT runs the engines themselves. This vid is not a vid of a prefessional shake down test, it's a guy who can't drive, 1st time in one, abusing it, hardly the definition of hard break in or a shake-down. That said, I'd take it, but not at MSRP od course. But we shouldn't make a BIG deal of it, one goofy run captured on vid doesn't make up a vendors rep & I think we all know their rep is very strong. My surprise at the vid is because I do think highly of them based on their rep, & that's not really changed personally.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brutal....this a sure way to show very little respect for a new car.....and what will most certainly be someone elses before to long.

I agree with those that would not consider supporting this dealership in the future. If they do this type of 'break-in' now...I am sure it isn't the first time, or the last

Also for those that seem that this treatment is ok. How about this...... You bring YOUR car in for a service to this dealership and after its done, this guy will take it for a spin to make sure everything is ok (he is obviously drives the cars at the dealership). Do you still think this is acceptable ?

Matt

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep

Mechanical wear happens most at startup and cold start etc.
Its operating as designed, so whats the problem.

As long as the guy doesnt try to break the drive train by dumping the clutch etc when who cares. By all accounts it was a rolling start.
The only -ve was the rev limiter, but IMO taking it to the limit during breakin is what its all about.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do people post video of stuff they do in their personal lives these days? I don't get it!

We have ALL hit a rev limiter once or twice in our life, even if it was an accidential upshift that turned into a downshift that missed a gear (5-4), not this Viper. The only harm done was first letting someone *****-nilly ride along with a video camera and the second problem was actually posting it.

Now Tomball has been a good dealership so I would not suspect they would hide the details on anything they sell. No worries there.

Philosophically, if I owned a a dealership and was selling that car, would I drive it and inform the buyer, then sell it? No, but that is the problem in posting anything, you get 0.0005% of the real information or actual situation.

Enjoy the video for what it is, which is a cool run of a couple of GEN Vs and it proves two things. One, blue with white stripes is the fastest. Two, if he was racing a Yellow Viper, he would be finished the race around the time the Yellow one left the starting line.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brutal....this a sure way to show very little respect for a new car.....and what will most certainly be someone elses before to long.

I agree with those that would not consider supporting this dealership in the future. If they do this type of 'break-in' now...I am sure it isn't the first time, or the last

Also for those that seem that this treatment is ok. How about this...... You bring YOUR car in for a service to this dealership and after its done, this guy will take it for a spin to make sure everything is ok (he is obviously drives the cars at the dealership). Do you still think this is acceptable ?

Matt

I guarantee you, NO ONE could drive my car harder than I did, I could care less if they beat on it. I dropped my Viper off several times at the dealership and told the shop foreman to take the car home, to see if he can duplicate the issues. My car was always insured, and under warranty. If the dealer damaged it, it would be their responsibility, and if something breaks, that's what the warranty is for. At the end of the day, it's a car, that's meant to be enjoyed, and it's designed to be driven to the limits.

Remember the red SRT had 300 miles on it, the Launch Edition had 5 miles on it. Oh the horror!!

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guarantee you, NO ONE could drive my car harder than I did, I could care less if they beat on it. I dropped my Viper off several times at the dealership and told the shop foreman to take the car home, to see if he can duplicate the issues. My car was always insured, and under warranty. If the dealer damaged it, it would be their responsibility, and if something breaks, that's what the warranty is for. At the end of the day, it's a car, that's meant to be enjoyed, and it's designed to be driven to the limits.

Remember the red SRT had 300 miles on it, the Launch Edition had 5 miles on it. Oh the horror!!

And when you sell your car are you going to let the next buyer know that you let anyone drive your car!!! Oh don't forget that you beat on it.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well if you dont care if someone beats on your car, then thats your choice.

As far as I am concerned, no one beats on my car....no one. Especially some dealer that I trust with my car.

You are right, my car....its meant to be driven, by me....meant to be enjoyed, by me...if abused, then by me.

When I asked the dealer that I got my Viper from what he recommended as far as break-in period and rpm's, he sure as hell didnt tell me to go out and run it to the max right off the bat. There is plenty of time for that later on.

The line ' thats what insurance and warranty is for' is just saying you dont give a sh..t

Now I also understand that the Red SRT wasnt owned by anyone at the time it was ran....but someone is going to put their hard earned money (a lot of it) into it one day and you should leave it up to that person how the car is cared for.

Matt