??? for anybody that can help me, cooling issues>>>>

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I have a '06 convertible, and yesterday i went with a group of friends to do some "spirited":drive: driving in the mountains here in SC and NC, it was a very fun time and i had fun playing with the other cars(mostly challengers and chargers), but when we got to the place we were going i noticed a coolant smell from my car, and when we were going to leave i noticed coolant on the road coming out from my car, we had been there for about 45 min, and when i opened the hood there was coolant sprayed on the engine and intake:omg:, it looked like it came from the reserve tank, and when i tried to open it it had still some pressure left!!, any input will be appreciated, temps were normal(200) all the time, car is completely stock.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through the same thing this past summer. I had air in my radiator hose(upper) thus I flushed the radiator and re bled the system and I installed a new thermostat. The car ran fine the rest of the summer.....Good Luck!!!!

OP
OP
N

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i tookthe viper for a ride yesterday and found out that it was not the cap, the reservoir itself is cracked, even about 10 min drive there was still pressure in the reservoir and that's probably what caused it to crack, now the ??? is why is it doing that?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The colant system will be pressureized after driving the vehicle, that's normal. The crack could from a manufacture defect or age.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If the car runs low on coolant, the expansion tank gets pressurized with steam and cracks! Replace the tank, cap, thermostat and a 50/50 mix of new coolant and distilled water.

Hope this helps.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks Dan i'll be doing this.!!! do i flush the system, or just add the mixture when i put in the new tank and t-stat?

How long has it been since the system was flushed? If it's the original coolant in there, a flush and fresh fluid is probably a great idea...

OP
OP
N

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep just what i was thinking, but i am new here (greenville) and i dont want to take the car to just anyplace and the closest viper mechanic is in charleston...can i take it to a place like meineke's or advance auto ?, just to have the system flushed, i'll change the reservoir at my place.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not take it local auto shop unless they came highly recommended. Maybe a performance shop in your area that work on higher end cars. I would say do it yourself, but I know sometimes it's not that easy for some due to space,time,tooling, ect...

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yep just what i was thinking, but i am new here (greenville) and i dont want to take the car to just anyplace and the closest viper mechanic is in charleston...can i take it to a place like meineke's or advance auto ?, just to have the system flushed, i'll change the reservoir at my place.

I know it's not optimal, but I did my own "flush" by draining the system, including the engine block, refilling with pure distilled water, running it until warm, re-draining, and then filling up again with the orange coolant (not pre-diluted) / distilled water mix. For the 2nd drain cycle, I wasn't as concerned about getting every last drop out, since it was mostly just fresh distilled water at that point...

This is very straight forward, but does require you to be able to safely get your car up in the air (e.g. on blocks) in order to access the drains.

Bryan

OP
OP
N

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just received the reservoir i ordered through vpa, very fast service:2tu:, but only one thing, in the picture at vpa it shows it with the cap, and when i received it, no cap!:dunno:... oh well i hope mine's good, i'll be mounting it on this w-end.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure that the cap you buy at an auto store is the right pressure. Caps come with different pressure release points. It should be printed on OEM cap somewhere. Likely a 16lb.

OP
OP
N

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I got the new tank from VPA and when i go to install it on my car.. it wont fit!!!, the hose that goes into the tank in my car is 3/4 of an inch and the tank 's diameter is way smaller, i would say 5/8 or 9/16's, were there 2 different tanks on vipers?, or do 08's have a different coolant line?,i already sent an email to viperparts, and im waiting for answer on this, any help wil be appreciated.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 06' and 08' coolant tanks have different part #s. The Supply lines are the same part #s for the 06' and 08', but the other hose has a different part # as well. If you need to drive the car a local parts store will have hose you could use(not factory).

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the bleed all the air out. Depleting the fluid from the reservoir/expansion tank allows the heads to be the highest point for coolant and potentially allowing air to get trapped. Just bleed as if you were adding coolant from scratch.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - FILLING COOLING SYSTEM

CAUTION: Do not use well water, or suspect water supply in cooling system. Use only a 50/50 mixture of the specified ethylene glycol type antifreeze/coolant and distilled water. (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/FLUID TYPES - DESCRIPTION).

NOTE: Cooling system fill procedure is critical to overall cooling system performance.

For cooling system capacity, (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE - SPECIFICATIONS FLUID CAPACITIES).

(1) Close radiator draincock.

(2) Install engine block drain plugs.

(3) Attach one end of a 6.35 mm (0.250 in.) ID clear hose that is approximately 1200 mm (48 in.)
long, to the bleed screw (Fig. 6).

(4) Route hose away from the accessory drive belt, drive pulleys and cooling fan. Place the other end of hose into a clean container. The hose will prevent coolant from contacting the accessory drive belt when bleeding the system during the refilling operation.

NOTE: IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE COOLING SYSTEM AIR BLEED SCREW BE OPENED BEFORE ANY COOLANT IS ADDED TO THE COOLING SYSTEM. FAILURE TO OPEN THE BLEED SCREW FIRST WILL RESULT IN AN INCOMPLETE FILL OF THE SYSTEM.

(5) Open the cooling system bleed screw (Fig. 6).

(6) Pour a 50/50 mix of Mopart Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula and distilled water into the coolant pressure bottle (Fig. 7).

(7) Slowly fill the cooling system until a steady stream of coolant flows from the hose attached to the bleed screw (Fig. 6).

OP
OP
N

NO HEMI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks 345's , do you have the pictures (fig.6, fig.7) also do the car has to be running?( i imagine so, but just to be sure, you can never be too careful) :D. thanks again , i really appreciate all your help guys, i think i might have the only viper around here(greenville) and that worries me sometimes..:disappointed:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21