Forward opening hoods

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have always been curious why Dodge stopped putting the forward opening hoods on the Vipers. I am a new Viper owner and was really dissapointed when I started researching Vipers to learn of the hood design being discontinued. I loved that look and was wondering if the decision was based on asthetics or actual performance.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original hood/fenders design was terribly expensive and difficult to design. Lots of scrap to get just a few good hoods.

The new design is a bunch less expensive and easier to produce in high quality.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the above. But not mentioned was the effort required to align during assembly. According to a CAAP bigshot that came to one of our meetings he was adamant about the next gen having a traditional hood.

I think a compromise could have been made. I believe the GenIII hood could have included the tops of the fenders. The top of the side gape is a natural cutoff line for the hood and would not have been the monster hood of the GenII/I.

And if the clamshell configuration was such a pain in the butt then I would have wanted to see a clip-on lift off hood like the CC rather than the typical **-hum kind currently used. I wonder if there is a federal regulation requiring hinged hoods? Anybody know?

OP
OP
V

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW!! I had no idea the old hoods were that expensive, and that the 08 hood is so inexpensive. That is a huge difference. I still wish it was clamshell though.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no federal crash standard for the direction of the hood opening. It's true that the GenI/II hoods were the single most expensive part on the car. They couldn't get the production line started in the beginning of Viper production because they were scrapping something like 2 hoods for every good one made. I'm sure Jon B would have the exact ratio.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And here in Canada those hoods are worth $28,000 minimum. Add another few thousand for shipping, thousancs for taxes, etc.

Ted

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And here in Canada those hoods are worth $28,000 minimum. Add another few thousand for shipping, thousancs for taxes, etc.

Ted

ouch... maybe we should start trading gen 1 and 2 hoods instead of stocks? :dunno:

Last edited:

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing like the forward opening hood for the car show bling :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960