French want import viper SRT-10.

gohu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in France (Europe).
I would like import a Dodge viper SRT-10. I haven't done yet because the custom is very expensive in france ! price+30%
Could you give me some garage's names which export SRT-10 in the world ?

See u later

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem buying new in the US is the dealerships aren't allowed by some law to sell you one unless you have a home over there, although a few dealerships will find away around this rule to make a sale. Buying used isnt a problem at all, quite a few of our UK members have imported various types of cars using all kinds of different methods

I helped to buy a new Ram 1500 for my brother in law a couple of years ago and contacted a few of well known Dodge dealerships including Tators, at the time The Wizard wasnt exporting vehicles, dont think he still is into Europe at least ? it would make Dodge buying easier

try this French site they have a few viper owners
http://www.viperpassion.com

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

These are some of the costs you're facing :
Container : 5000$
Import taxes : +/- 6%
VAT : 20%
Technical inspection costs : ?
Changes to the car : headlights as a minimum. Please check whether France allows side pipes. They might have you change the exhaust (another 3000 Euro cost).

Feel free to give me a call if you want to find out more (0043.664.831.5680). I imported a car into the EU about a year ago.

Yves

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yves you are way off on the container. I payed $2000.00 to ship directly to Greece.It was a closed container. The probelm with getting the car to Europe is the taxes.You have to find out once the car gets to destination what will you be paying in taxes.It might not be worth it to you to be paying double the price for a Viper. For example in Greece if I have left the car there, any car over the 2000 cc motor you would have to pay a certain tax bracket. I found out that the Viper would come out to about $80,000 euros to have it left there.That's somewhere in the price range of about $100,000 American dollars.No matter what dealer sends you the car you still will be paying your gov't taxes on a new Vehicle.It might be worth looking into a used Viper or unless you don't care about money just pay double.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil I have a house there but was allowed to buy any car tax free which would be under the 2000cc mototr.As an American citizen I had the chance to do that once.I had to declare it there and payed no tax on it.The other two vehicles that I bought were directly from Greece adn payed the tax.Still under 2000 cc motor.The Europeans favor small cars due to the gas prices of $4.50 per gallon. iT'S FUNNY HOW MANY SUV you see in Europe.There is a Chrysler dealership in Athens. I went in to check out the Grand Cherokee. The price was close to $65,000 for the V6 and $85,000 for the limited V8. People still buy them.Go figure

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony - you're East Coast. I shipped my car from the West Coast (Oregon). It was 5,000 USD door to door from Portland to Vienna AT. This also included stretches of ground transport (from and to the harbor on both sides) and insurance. Maybe you were lucky to be close to the port on both ends.

He will not be able to avoid the import taxes and VAT. The only way to avoid these taxes is to have owned the car for longer than 6 months abroad, AND the car needs to be part of your international move.

This is only part of the issue. The real pain starts when you start the homologation process for a certain country. I can imagine the French won't be keen on anything that's not produced in 'la France'....

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny about the ECU. They want to be one but each country has different tax laws on imports.Especially cars. I can't see anyone bring a car and pay double for it. Cherm(Chris) called me from Europe a few weeks ago and he was going throuhg the same crap. I told him basically to buy the car and put American plates on it. Since he is only there for a year and the car is not registered in Europe he has a chance to get away with it. I have a Harley Road King in Greece. I have NY plates on it. The problem is that I'm only allowed to ride it six months out of the year since I don't want to put the Greek plates on it. If I put Greek plates on it I would have to pay about $9,000 in taxes .The other six months customs comes to your house and they put this small metal label on your disc brakes. The seal can not be broken.If broken then they hit you with a heavy fine. So what I do is I lock itin garage and when I get there I call the guy he comes and I give the guy a fifty to rush to open the seal up.Takes me about two days from the time I get there.Everything gets done quickly with money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960