Friend just bought an 08 - impressions

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got an 04 that I have had for just over a year now, and a buddy of mine just got his new 2008 yesterday - Black Vert with Graphite stripes - beautiful car. He is a great guy and had the nerve to let me drive it - so here are a few impressions from the short drive on the street. It shoud be noted that I had to be easy on it (below 4500 rpms), as it only has 130 miles on it so far, AND most importantly it is NOT my car - but I hope to try it again once he gets 1000+ miles on it at a track event sometime.

Exterior - looks the same except he has cool H spoke style wheels, which I liked alot (and the color/stripes are different than my silver unstriped), and the hood vents are different. The engine looks different too - air intake is different and the valve covers are different due to all the mods that were done to get the 600hp.

Interior - Looks exactly the same, but he has a nice 2 tone interior with a nice graphite center console (I'm straight black insdie). All else looked and felt the same (except I have a 1" lowering kit on mine to improve driving position and to minimize helmet bumping onto the top during track events).

Driving experience:
1) Brakes - Felt the same
2) Clutch - HUGE difference. The clutch on my 04 isnt what I would consider to be hard to depress, but compared to the 08, its like pushing down on a 1932 truck clutch. The new 08 clutch is like slicing a warm knife through butter. It was really easy to push and I liked it alot. Almost a night and day difference and I didn't expect it.
3) Horsepower - Mine is 500 and the new one is 600. Off the line, I didn't feel it immediately (although I took it easy), but as I revved the car up, the power band stayed true for a good 3/4 of second beyond what mine would have - thus extending the shifting time. I really liked the extra hp (who woudln't) , it was smooth and pulled strong - you can definitely feel it.
4) Suspension - I know they changed alot, but driving the local roads did not reveal it to me - felt the same. I am guessing that you will really be able to tell the difference when it is on the track. I'm running new PS2's (which come stock with the 08) so that felt the same.
5) Sound - His stock exhaust was much quieter (though not quiet) than my Corsa Track. It does have the cool backfire sound when downshifting, which I have always liked on mine.

I have to say thanks to my friend for the experience. He is looking forward to doing a couple track events with me once he gets some 'break in' mileage on it. That will be fun. I told George that he'll be needing a new stereo and speakers, an Autoform roll bar, a seat lowering kit, a new muffler, ... and he said - we'll see! Do we really have to mod out a $90K new car ... YES!!!!!
:drive:
George - you better post a picture of it, otherwise some guy will put a 'this post is no good without pics' reply on soon!

Anyone else got any impressions of 08 vs other vipers? Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang