Front vs. Rear brake pad choice

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I've searched. Only came up with three threads and none of them covered this topic. I've been tracking Vipers for 10+ years but I have not really considered this question before. I've tried a lot of track brake pads on the Viper - SBS, Porterfield, Brakeman,and now Raybestos. I've also used the OEM pads on the track but they really don't work as well. Of all the pads I like the Raybestos the best for the track. Thing is though that I use the same pad compound front and rear. An SRT engineer told me that I could use the stock (OEM) pad on the rear without a problem.

Do any of you track rats use different pads front to rear? If you do, do you use the OEM pad in the rear or some other compound? Does using a different rear pad improve the brake feel? What are your favorite pad combos front and rear? I have found that a Gen 3/4 can feel a little squirrelly under very hard braking. Rear dances a bit. SRT engineer has told me this is normal as the brake system is working to maximize rear braking while still preventing lockup. Still doesn't feel great although my ACR is better in this regard I suspect because of suspension and aero.

Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
I like the Carbotech pads XP10 or 12 front and XP8 for the rear, this will give great bite and not overwhelm the rear as much. I don't like the ABS ever kicking in and think this combo is very good. Everyone will have their opinions though, I do know though that using the same compound front and rear with the Carbotechs would NOT work well and the rear end tries to lock up then the ABS comes on and IMHO your braking is not as good.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Like you, I've tried a bunch of brake pad combinations including OE, Brakeman, Mintex, Porterfields, PFC's and Raybestos to name a few.

I've settled on Raybestos ST47R780.18 front pads and Porterfield R4 rears for my 09 ACR. Both of these and many others are available from Porterfield Brakes in Costa Mesa, CA.

Good Luck,

Dan

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used several different kinds. As of now I am loving the Hawks DTC-70 up front and the DTC-60 in the rear. They seem to be fairly kind on rotors..... fairly

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not being familiar with all of the numbering conventions it sounds like many of you are using a softer, less aggressive pad in the rear. I'll have to give it a try. Maybe I will switch to the Porterfield R4s in the rear like Viper X uses given I already have a few sets of Raybestos pads for the front. Has anyone tried the OEM pads in the rear with race pads in the front?

Of course it is nice only having one type of pad to carry, but I would like maximum braking. Funny how you need good brakes to go fast.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used several different kinds. As of now I am loving the Hawks DTC-70 up front and the DTC-60 in the rear. They seem to be fairly kind on rotors..... fairly

Ditto here, with stoptech calipers. With 80% of braking done up front, I like running a bigger pad up front.

When I had GenIII calipers I ran brakeman 3's and was very happy with them, also carbotech's, XP 10 front, 8 rear as well.

OP
OP
V

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie,

Did you have Gen 3 calipers front and rear or just front? The Gen 2s have smaller rear calipers if I remember correctly. The Gen 3/4s use the same pad size front and rear although the pistons in the rear calipers are smaller. I wonder if the smaller rear pads in the Gen 2 would alter the pad choice front to rear. It might not make as much of a difference if you ran the same compound in both, or maybe it would. Does your GTS have ABS? That might be another factor to consider since I would guess running a pad in the rear that is as aggressive as the fronts in a non-ABS car might promote rear lock up. So many choices and so little track time....

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey George, Maybe ACR STEVE will chime in. I know he switched out his stock pads, but I don't remember what he uses. HE is real Fast in his ACR!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang