GADS! Are B/W's now orphans?

gtstom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have lowered the price and not a single call from a VCA member here. Had a few calls from tire kickers from other sites I advertised it on but most of those cluless people must have thought it was an old Opal GT I had painted Blue and white. I will sell for less than asking price but ONLY to someone from this site. There may be equal 96 B/W's but none better regardless of the mileage. And yes, I belong to the 96 coupes will become the high value car in the future club. That is fine, I just have the desire to move to a different car right now. If anyone out there is interested contact me with a legit offer and we will discuss.
Tom
1996 B/W GTS Price lowered** - ViperClub Classifieds

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think your price was the issue (not sure what you were asking). It is just people are not buying these types of things/cars in this economy. You can lower your price all you want and it probably still won't sell. If it does sell the guy would have probably paid your original asking price. At least this is my thoughts on the car market. It is not the prices that are the issues it is the limited audience.

Good luck with your sale. Nothing prettier than a Blue and White Viper. I think they will be very collectable some day since they are what most people think of when they hear GTS. :2tu:

Why don't you keep the Viper and sell the C5 in the garage?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually , folks are buying these cars, but the concern is that most folks are not aware of how long it takes to sell a car like this ( regardless of whether it is a Viper, Vette, Porsche, etc. ). The other item that is now in the picture, that was not prevalent in days past , is that many Banks will not finance this old a car, or will only do it for a short period of time. Yes , there are exceptions, but the avenues to consumers are drastically limited compared to a few years ago. Even in freer Banking days, this is a 14 year old car and it would be out of many lending guidelines.

I usually tell our clients to go in with a least a two month window. Many of the Dealers on the Forum will tell you that these cars will average 2-3 months to sell, even if they are pristine. The worse thing one can do, in my estimation, is to begin to complain,or to lower the price quickly, as buyers are vultures. They see the seller , as desperate, even if the perception is wrong, and they are just waiting for your next move.

Go in with the idea that the sale is going to take a bit, for many of the reasons above, check around even with Dealers on the Forum , as well as local, and then view your options.

If you would like any advice on this sale, feel free to give me a call. I definitely don't have all the answers, but would be happy to give you some ideas.

Best Regards,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep,Viper
1-800-889-1893
cell 402-677-5864
[email protected]

Last edited:

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DAMN!! That is a NICE example. I'd say the economy for cars is still in the crapper right now, as the price seems to be lower than I expected. :(

regularsavings

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 96 B/W and was looking at your ad a while back, but my feeling was that it was overpriced. I would expect to see a dealer try to sell the car at 43000 (and probably accept anything above 41), so for a private party offering I think it is high. For reference, here is a clean 96 B/W with less miles that was offered for 40k last week and it had no takers.

I think some better pictures may also help. The ones in your ad don't really show much.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 96 B/W and was looking at your ad a while back, but my feeling was that it was overpriced. I would expect to see a dealer try to sell the car at 43000 (and probably accept anything above 41), so for a private party offering I think it is high. For reference, here is a clean 96 B/W with less miles that was offered for 40k last week and it had no takers.

I think some better pictures may also help. The ones in your ad don't really show much.

the car in this picture has much better pics and from what i can tell, zero mods. that is helping this car and makes it worth more and "should" sell faster.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm of the mindset that the more pictures you can have of your Viper, the better. I don't think you have enough pictures of the Viper. The ad you linked to has nice, up close pics from many different angles not to mention they went the extra mile to take pics of the underside. It makes me want to buy it. But in this economy it takes time to move these Vipers. Nice Viper you got there though. Shame you're selling it.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a beautiful car. but i was unaware these older vipers went for such a high price. is it due to them becoming collector cars or something?? im in the market for a gen3 myself, but i couldnt imagine paying the same price or more, for a car thats almost 10 years older.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have lowered the price and not a single call from a VCA member here. Had a few calls from tire kickers from other sites I advertised it on but most of those cluless people must have thought it was an old Opal GT I had painted Blue and white. I will sell for less than asking price but ONLY to someone from this site. There may be equal 96 B/W's but none better regardless of the mileage. And yes, I belong to the 96 coupes will become the high value car in the future club. That is fine, I just have the desire to move to a different car right now. If anyone out there is interested contact me with a legit offer and we will discuss.
Tom
1996 B/W GTS Price lowered** - ViperClub Classifieds

gtstom,

Good luck with the sale. Hope it pulls through for you. Looks like a great car. I realize that you are trying to be politically correct and say that you are willing to make a deal. That is great. Even when you discussed that a deal could be made for the car, you still have tire kickers complaining about the price. If they wanted to "make a deal" or were "in the market" they would have sent you a PM and tried to work things out. Instead, they show a less than classy side. Do what you think is best.

PS....Less than 10 posts for four years? You are a quiet type of person.

Plaw

Dr. Sandman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tom,that is a beautiful '96 that is really in mint condition.You should not have to take a penny less than what you are asking.Just be patient.The right buyer will come along.Good luck.:2tu:

01_VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's definitely a nice GTS. I also believe price is right or should be more.

OP
OP
G

gtstom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think your price was the issue (not sure what you were asking). It is just people are not buying these types of things/cars in this economy. You can lower your price all you want and it probably still won't sell. If it does sell the guy would have probably paid your original asking price. At least this is my thoughts on the car market. It is not the prices that are the issues it is the limited audience.

Good luck with your sale. Nothing prettier than a Blue and White Viper. I think they will be very collectable some day since they are what most people think of when they hear GTS. :2tu:

Why don't you keep the Viper and sell the C5 in the garage?
Heavens sake no on selling the C5. That is the wifes car we bought brand new for her. Don't know bout you but I value my happy home life! Sleeping on a couch is not my idea of fun.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a beautiful car. but i was unaware these older vipers went for such a high price. is it due to them becoming collector cars or something?? im in the market for a gen3 myself, but i couldnt imagine paying the same price or more, for a car thats almost 10 years older.

You seriously need to research some Viper history to get your answers.
That's NOT any Viper.
That car is worth low 40K all day long if it's a clean in person as advertised.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well thats what i was curious about. was there limited production on these??

1163 built in 96. However, the 96 revolutionized the world when it represented the first year of building the Coupe Version of what we can now consider a time piece in the automotive world. It's the first of it's kind, and the only of it's kind to have the stripes painted completely through the license plate. It is by far a collectors car. If you're an enthusiast as your profile shows, you should seriously do some research.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When it comes to Vipers, the older the car doesn't always mean it's worth less. I would much rather spend as much as $60,000 for a flawless GEN II then for any GEN III.

Granted, I love all Vipers and no disrespect to any owners of the GEN III. I just have a somewhat "slight" obsession with the GTS. ;)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Actually, the design gurus at Dodge realized how many folks liked the stripes through the license plate design, and it has never been repeated ........................until now. The extremely low number of Blue/White Coupes done in 2010, also have stripes through the license plate area, as we have some in stock right now ( it is a classic look )

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the design gurus at Dodge realized how many folks liked the stripes through the license plate design, and it has never been repeated ........................until now. The extremely low number of Blue/White Coupes done in 2010, also have stripes through the license plate area, as we have some in stock right now ( it is a classic look )

That's good to know! I'm glad they decided to make that move to bring back the classic look. I honestly think it looks unfinished when the stripes aren't going all the way through; however though, I was originally referring to the "only" of its kind within the GEN II family. :)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are more B/W GTSs than any other GTS combination through all years of production. They are stunning and desirable and do comand a bit of a premium. This is considered to be the iconic Viper in the eyes of many.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are more B/W GTSs than any other GTS combination through all years of production. They are stunning and desirable and do comand a bit of a premium. This is considered to be the iconic Viper in the eyes of many.

I couldn't agree more. :D

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These original B/W cars stirred a lot of deep feelings when they were releases.

With American racing colors, and the obvious connection with the past Cobras, they were perhaps the most desirous of all Vipers in 96. They stayed at $50K for many years for resale, and many people bought them and sold them years later for the same money as they paid.

But some things in the marketplace have now changed.
Lots of Blue/Whites are still available for 96/97, as well as later editions.
As Bill said, you pretty much gotta be a cash buyer due to their age.
Faster Vipers with better handling are now available for about the same price.
The collector market has not been kind to early Viper "investors"
The economy has forced many in the middle class to drill down to essentials, and extra cars are expensive to insure/repair/store and justify.

Still there is a marketplace for these popular cars, but with so many paint options now available the Blue/White is no longer the only game in town.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still there is a marketplace for these popular cars, but with so many paint options now available the Blue/White is no longer the only game in town.

What I found while shopping is that there are a number of GTSs that are at least as desirable as the B/Ws now... For instance, real Bumble Bees and Silver/Blues and then special edition GTSs like the ACRs and FEs all of which are more limited production. Saphires and Steel Gray cars with factory stripes seem to be emerging too.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your car looks like a fine specimen

proper gaps, clean, well cared for

i agree the price is not the problem, it is close enough for any serious buyer, esp considering condition.

better pics for sure

good luck

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I found while shopping is that there are a number of GTSs that are at least as desirable as the B/Ws now... For instance, real Bumble Bees and Silver/Blues and then special edition GTSs like the ACRs and FEs all of which are more limited production. Saphires and Steel Gray cars with factory stripes seem to be emerging too.

That is true, but if you find a low miled B/W you can command a high premium. I believe I once saw a flawless 96 B/W with only 40miles going for in the 80k's range a couple years ago.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would snap some better pics...and LOTS of them!!! I would also strongly consider removing the front license plate for your pics...that is an eye sore IMO.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it comes to Vipers, the older the car doesn't always mean it's worth less. I would much rather spend as much as $60,000 for a flawless GEN II then for any GEN III.

Granted, I love all Vipers and no disrespect to any owners of the GEN III. I just have a somewhat "slight" obsession with the GTS. ;)

thanks for the info!! :) i know when this car came out, i was in love with it. but i was only 14 years old, so i didnt know all the details. i just knew it looked badass and had 450hp. lol.

and i suppose its a matter of personal preference. i dont consider the Gen3 worth more to me, because its newer. i consider it worth more, because it looks so much nicer. which is obviously subjective. ive never been too concerned about a cars heritage, just how it looks and performs.

anyway, good luck to OP on selling that car. beautiful car, just gotta wait for the right buyer. seems typical of selling anything nowadays though. im currently selling my car too, and virtually giving it away. i still have people tire kicking, and groveling about the price :rolleyes:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info!! :) i know when this car came out, i was in love with it. but i was only 14 years old, so i didnt know all the details. i just knew it looked badass and had 450hp. lol.

and i suppose its a matter of personal preference. i dont consider the Gen3 worth more to me, because its newer. i consider it worth more, because it looks so much nicer. which is obviously subjective. ive never been too concerned about a cars heritage, just how it looks and performs.

anyway, good luck to OP on selling that car. beautiful car, just gotta wait for the right buyer. seems typical of selling anything nowadays though. im currently selling my car too, and virtually giving it away. i still have people tire kicking, and groveling about the price :rolleyes:

Hey man, well that's all that matters. If you like the look of the GEN III better, then definitely get the GEN III. I saw the B/W GTS for the first time when i was 12 years old. I was in 6th grade at school and in one of my classes at the time back in 1996. The 96 B/W GTS along with the B/W Dodge Ram was on one of my friend's book covers. Once I saw it, I had no idea what it was, but thought it was amazing. I later found out it was a Viper and immediately went to the library getting as many magazines as I could to learn about the car and of course to see more pictures of it. I told myself then that later in my life after I graduated College I would buy that exact car, a 96 B/W GTS. So in April of 2008, 2 years after I graduated.. I did just that. :2tu: