Gallardo.....Scuderia.......Gen V Viper

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is why I included durability and reliability in my response. I know that prior Vipers were relatively bullet proof. I have no data on the Gen V yet. However, I expect it to be much cheaper to maintain than a Ferrari or a Lambo.

I was wondering if anyone would approach this topic from the mechanical side of it. For example, don't Lambos have to replace their clutch after 15,000 miles or so? (I don't know the average, just throwing a number out there). Contrasting that, does the Viper have any mechanical parts needing replaced at a mileage point, or can it go 100K miles with just oil and fluid servicing. If so, the viper wins in this category.

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper, simply because the cost of maintaining the other two is so high. If maintenance costs on a scud were as low as the viper AND they were priced the same, then scud all the way.

emericr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That makes no sense and I am not sure the answer would make any sense either. A Ferrari costs twice the amount of the viper for a reason (status symbol, engineering, cost of the parts manufactured just to name a few reasons).
In your hypothetical question then, I would pick a new Ferrari 458. The sound of that engine at 9K rpm is pretty amazing.

You are correct. That's exactly what I meant.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having owned a GEN III Viper Coupe from new for 6 years and having spent some time in my friend's Scuderia both on and off the track, at a realistic comparison of a new $150K GTS versus a used Scud or Gallardo at the same $150K price, as much as I like the GEN V GTS and a new vehicle option, I would have to go for the Scud.

See the Scud will be worth the same price you bought it for 2,000 miles after you bought it on the used already depreciated market. Maintenance is a bit more than a Viper, if you follow BS "suggested maintenance" routines of these exotics. Who would do that? "You must change all brake fluid every 2 years regardless of the fact you drove it for 1,000 miles in those two years". That is poppy ****! "You must change the clutch every 2 years regardless of the fact you drove the car only 500 miles in two years." These "suggested maintenance" periods are just bs. Drive the car and when you start noticing issues, fix them. All too often people just go dumb driving these expensieve cars and stop thinking for themselves and being rationale. Porsche is no different. I get the gears from the Porsche service department everytime I bring it in for service for not following the "suggested maintenance" intervels, but my 06' Cayenne Turbo S is approaching 100k miles and I just followed my gut instincts in regards to maintenence and when to fix or replace things, suggested items. It was not more expensive to maintain to date than a Ford Explorer I had years ago over the same period with similar miles.

Anyone who does not think the Scud is a great looking and packaged car is just not a car guy. Truthfully, the Viper still has to prove it's resale mettle at these new 6 figure prices. If the Viper was a totally new look, then maybe, but the fact it looks so close to the older GEN II Coupe, I think that is going to really hurt resale value. Essentially the same looking car, just one at $40K and the other at $140K. People are funny as most look at the looks of a car first, then all what is underneath. Time will tell whether it is smart money for a new Viper or not.

New car prices to new car prices can be looked at and then it makes a new Viper look cheap as one if $150K and the other is $300K but reality is new Viper versus used Ferarri or Lambo can be made at the same price because that option is out there right now. That option is pretty tempting considering you will lose way less money on the used Scud in that scenerio as a new car will lose a lot by driving it off the lot, no matter how many miles you put on the Scud now. Case in point is a vast majority on here would take a Ford GT over the new GTS at the same price simply because it is like driving around money in the bank with regards to resale. It is not because it performs so much better or is so much better quality; as it is not. It is because it is better use of the dollars.

Having now been 6 months without a car payment for the first time in my adult life at 40 (finally just paid of the Cayenne Turbo S small loan I had), I can tell you it is a great feeling. Might feel different if I had the silver spoon but I don't. Anyway Scud performance numbers are pretty impressive, even if it is a used car now. Still looks very mean on the street or track.

I hope the new GEN V does hold it's value and does well, but time will tell. I have been wrong before on what I thought was collectible and would increase in value eventually. Problem is new cars rarely do when 1,000+ copies or more are being made. At the 6 figure range, I just don't see it. Now the lil old GEN I RT/10s when you can by a used one in great shape for $20ks, that is a great value. That is a ton of car for $20ks.

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Viper will depreciate at the same initial rate (20-25%) as every other generation, why wouldn't it?
They will still be produced, and improved year to year.
For me having been hammered pretty ******* my '09 and '10 new Viper trade in values, this time I decided to let the guy who paid 247K :omg: initially for my GSL take the hit.
He drove it only 4K miles and now I own a like new car for far far less.
At most I'll lose 5% in a year or two I can live with that.

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would get the Gallardo... being honest here... IF it were a convertible and stick shift, which is hard to find. The brand new Gallardo facelift also looks terrible, it would have to be an older one. I just love the stock sound of the 2007+ Gallardos

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new Viper will depreciate at the same initial rate (20-25%) as every other generation, why wouldn't it?
They will still be produced, and improved year to year.
For me having been hammered pretty ******* my '09 and '10 new Viper trade in values, this time I decided to let the guy who paid 247K :omg: initially for my GSL take the hit.
He drove it only 4K miles and now I own a like new car for far far less.
At most I'll lose 5% in a year or two I can live with that.

To me it is unreal how well the 458 has held value. It hasn't budged at all.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT's have not taken a hit.

Bruce

True now, but not initially.
At one point they were down to well under sticker on resale, you could pick one up for 125K with low mileage.
If we only knew.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me it is unreal how well the 458 has held value. It hasn't budged at all.

458's will take a hit soon. The market for 300K cars is just too small right now and a lot of 458 owners are trading for the Spider. Many of them buy just to flip 'em anyway.

The McLaren is already dropping rapidly, so I've been keeping my eye on them.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a new lambo or Ferrari were 100k, they would be made of polystyrene and have 1.4L 4-cylinder engines and a transmission from a 80s era chrysler minivan.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was attracted to the looks and performance stats of the McLaren so I went over and "sat" in one. Very hard to get in and out of. Not for anyone that has any kind of back problem. The only worse one that I can think of at the moment was the Lotus. I like my "caveman" Viper cockpit much better.

458's will take a hit soon. The market for 300K cars is just too small right now and a lot of 458 owners are trading for the Spider. Many of them buy just to flip 'em anyway.

The McLaren is already dropping rapidly, so I've been keeping my eye on them.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was attracted to the looks and performance stats of the McLaren so I went over and "sat" in one. Very hard to get in and out of. Not for anyone that has any kind of back problem. The only worse one that I can think of at the moment was the Lotus. I like my "caveman" Viper cockpit much better.

Yes, it can be tricky to get in and out. I was able to get two fantastic test drives with the McLaren and 458 while I was in Germany last year. Spent about an hour in each and test drives there are full on 150 mph+ blast down the autobahn, nice runs on backroads, and some time spent on small town roads to really get a feel for what the car is like.

For getting in, I found it easiest to sit on the carbon tub, then slide back into the seat and swing my legs around. I never found a way to get out the car easily. :dunno:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's short video I took while the salesman was driving near Dusseldorf. I really regret not recording when I got a test drive in the McLaren near Frankfurt! While the salesman was driving we had a clear shot on the autobahn and he floored it on the entrance ramp from about 40 - 190 mph. The transmission is so seamless you just stay pinned to the seat as if the car just has one long gear. I had never experienced anything like that before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRV0jR1SG1E

Vid clip I took while waiting for my turn to drive the 458. Crazy Italian service manager was driving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ALEwTWVfTQ

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get the Gallardo... being honest here... IF it were a convertible and stick shift, which is hard to find. The brand new Gallardo facelift also looks terrible, it would have to be an older one. I just love the stock sound of the 2007+ Gallardos

I agree. The new body style *****. The 07-08 gallardo is the best looking.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gallardos are for posers.
The Scuderia is an amazing machine. Perhaps a little too exoctic for everyday use IMHO.

The Viper is just all round awesome experience at any price. Crazy power, looks great and dont mind hitting macdonalds drive thru in it.

all round winner.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Scuderia is an amazing machine. Perhaps a little too exoctic for everyday use IMHO.

The Viper is just all round awesome experience at any price. Crazy power, looks great and dont mind hitting macdonalds drive thru in it.

all round winner.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Enjoy your hamburger Jethro.

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

all round winner.

Posers??? Posing to do what? I LOVE the look of the the Gallardos. The new ones are very fast. I didnt race my buddies stock one with my Viper but driving and being a passenger in it it felt as quick if not slightly faster. At least at the bottom end. I have never been in a car that gets the attention the Gallardo gets. Its crazy. I dont think they're for posing at all. They back up the looks with incredible performance as well.

Last edited:

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Voodoo. I would have sh&t my pants on that 458 test drive. Holy crap. That car is amazing but im pretty sure I would have been sreaming like a baby passing cars in traffic at those speeds. Lol. Wow.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Voodoo. I would have sh&t my pants on that 458 test drive. Holy crap. That car is amazing but im pretty sure I would have been sreaming like a baby passing cars in traffic at those speeds. Lol. Wow.

Lol, there were a few times I thought we were about to die. All it would have taken is for one person to move over into the fast lane without checking their mirrors! When he finally pulled over so I could drive it took a while for adrenaline to come down so I could focus. :hypno: Was an experience I'll never forget.

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha that 458 ride is an awesome vid!! Its weird how its much scarier a ride like that is as a passenger when you have no control.

The Ferrari sound is ridiculous.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Posers??? Posing to do what? I LOVE the look of the the Gallardos. The new ones are very fast. I didnt race my buddies stock one with my Viper but driving and being a passenger in it it felt as quick if not slightly faster. At least at the bottom end. I have never been in a car that gets the attention the Gallardo gets. Its crazy. I dont think they're for posing at all. They back up the looks with incredible performance as well.

generally a poser is somebody that craves "look at me" attention and cant drive worth a damn. Most to all gallardo drivers fit this criteria.

the gallardo is actually very fast and with all wheel drive it launches very well.

i dont think i could drive one in public.... too many people would think im a ******.... which i am, but i do not wish to advertize it :)

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cost of ownership: I like the Scuderia, and the Gallardo but compared to an ACR Viper..... its a no brainer. Maintenance is cheaper, parts are cheaper, parts are significantly more available and its easier to find service.

Stylistically, I love the Gen IV ACR viper with those curves and aggressive stance...it is so much better than the subtley softened-wedge of the Gallardo and the Scuderia is somewhere in the middle for me.

Performance-wise, we all know the Gen IV ACR Viper is fastest around the Ring, and in almost every performance test you could perform, the Gen IV ACR Viper will beat the other two vehicles.

Collectibility, yes, a Scuderia will likely end up being more valuable than any Viper of a similar year, but with similar racing Ferrari's eventually it will become so valuable it will become hard to justify driving it except in controlled circumstances. The Gallardo will end up somewhere in the middle or very close to the same value of a GEN IV ACR. (assuming the Viper will become like Cobra, even though collectors don't see it as "worthy" yet)

Fun factor, I was drawn to my Viper because it is raw and uncivilized, it required me to be smoother and better driver to go fast on a closed course, so for that it is all i want. I've been a passenger in a Gallardo, but only a 360 and 430, not a Scuderia, but they were cool and very different from the big-bore-engined Viper and its incredible torque.

So there's my comparison, I'd take a Gen IV ACR 100 times out of 100 if it were me spending my money.

Regards,
Aaron

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude