Gallardo's exhaust note made me jealous.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gallardo\'s exhaust note made me jealous.

My viper is too quiet. Can I just replace the two resonators just aft of the catalytic converters with straight pipe? Its a relatively simple job.

The original muffler is perfect and I like the understated look of the stock tips. I'd prefer not to pay $1,500. for a cat-back system if I can avoid it.

WICKDXS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Gallardo\'s exhaust note made me jealous.

It's your car and for a few bucks most muffler shops would be glad to work on a Viper. It won't sound like his though.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Check out the sound post on the ALLEY about "TOOOFST"
Best exhaust stock camy loud/no drone drivability combo is:
Balenger headers/Corsa exhaust.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My viper is too quiet. Can I just replace the two resonators just aft of the catalytic converters with straight pipe? Its a relatively simple job.

The original muffler is perfect and I like the understated look of the stock tips. I'd prefer not to pay $1,500. for a cat-back system if I can avoid it.

My setup is waaay too loud. I set off alarms while idleing. At 4500rpm, it is so loud, I think it's going to explode. I can't even imagine (or ran up to) 5500rpm's. Half that decible would be perfect. Maybe we can exchange just one side. ;)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Put straight pipe in where the rear muffler is. Does not have to be stainless. Put the stock tips back on. It's a 1/2 hour job at a muffler shop requiring about 3' of tubing.
The sound will be much improved from stock.

Belanger headers/Corsa cat back is a nice sound, but the Belanger/Belanger is a little louder and is definitely deeper.

Love setting off those car alarms! Happens all the time.

Steve

OP
OP
T

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The consensus seems to be to lose the rear muffler.
Aswell its just a matter of unbolting to hear what the new sound will be.
I wasn't entirely comfortable with cutting through the side pipes anyway.

Jerry.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Put straight pipe in where the rear muffler is.

Am I correct in thinking that to go this route it will be neccessary to cut the factory exhaust behind the mufflers--making it difficult to to back to stock if you don't like the sound?

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Am I correct in thinking that to go this route it will be neccessary to cut the factory exhaust behind the mufflers--making it difficult to to back to stock if you don't like the sound?

No, the rear section is an independant piece. It has clamps just after the exhaust pipes kick out of the side sills. You can kind of see them if you look under the car just in front of the rear wheels.

I'm going to install a SnakeOyl rear sub-assembly that I have in the garage and see how that sounds. For less than 1/4 the price of a Corsa I figured it would be worth a try.

bth1

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm going to install a SnakeOyl rear sub-assembly that I have in the garage and see how that sounds. For less than 1/4 the price of a Corsa I figured it would be worth a try.

Let us know how it sounds. I would be interested to find out your results.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes. Unless you want to remove the entire rear assembly like Matt suggest.

Don't concern yourself too much about cutting out the muffler. Everybody will tell you it will sound better, it will just be a little bit louder and throatier. And if you want to preserve the stock exhaust it is not difficult to find a spare system for the cost of shipping.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I understand the point is to have a louder exhaust, but isnt it more benneficial as far as performance goes to remove the cats? I have never heard a viper in person with a muffler delete, and Im sure it sounds good. But I would think its better to get a catback with a cat delete. I could just be saying this because its the best route to go for a mustang, and thats what i know the most about, but im sure it would work just as well on a Viper.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can improve the sound - but to make a Viper sound as good as the Lambo you will need to change the firing order.

I believe AEM will allow that - but have no idea if that will require a complete remap from scratch or if changing the firing order can use the base maps and only require minor fine tuning.

What gives the Viper it's unique sound is firing in pairs. Even changing intake and exhaust - does not fix it. Mods make it louder, more aggressive - but still a variation on the theme - a Viper sounds like a Viper whether mild or wild.

A change in firing order could make it sound like a big block on steriods (only smoother).

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Random Tech Muffler delete. Low cost and very cool. Relatively easy DIY. Can be upgraded to Cat Back.

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I still think that the absolute best sounding Viper I have EVER heard is a fellow AZ member's '97 GTS with a Henness*y 3" exhaust, Henness*y headers, and no cats. Just freaking unbelievable - sounds way better than any V8 except for a flat-crank Ferrari.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I understand the point is to have a louder exhaust, but isnt it more benneficial as far as performance goes to remove the cats? I have never heard a viper in person with a muffler delete, and Im sure it sounds good. But I would think its better to get a catback with a cat delete. I could just be saying this because its the best route to go for a mustang, and thats what i know the most about, but im sure it would work just as well on a Viper.

Cat delete will add additional HP but will increase the sound considerably. Some folks don't like the sound of stock cat delete. Cat delete with a 3-inch exhaust sounds good but then the cost goes up.

Viper catbacks are an option but are in the $1500 range and don't yield any more power than muffler and cat deletes. Muffler delete is a simple low-cost option that adds about 8HP and a nice sound without getting too loud.

OP
OP
T

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Finally got around to cutting open the rear muffler with a cutting wheel last night. It was packed with what looked like black human hair.
Now I'll somehow replace the perforated through pipes with solid ones, without disturbing the original shape.

Yes, I work on my cars, and I prefer to spend that money on a trip to Puerto Vallarta instead.
Thanks for all the info.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The best part about removing the cats is the cooler inside cabin temperatures. Nothing ***** more than riding around in an oven.

And while you are removing the cats (or the resonators), spend a hundred bucks or so on the Roe Side Sill Insulation. I can't believe how much better that makes the car. You can get it at roeracing.com. It's a tremendous improvement, which in my opinion, should be done to EVERY Viper.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Remove the CATS. I heard an RT a few months ago that had no CATS. It sounded absolutely sick! I could hear it from more than a mile away. :cool:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if I remove my cats will it still pass emissions, and will my engine light come on?

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what year is your car?
06 coupe, I would love to take the cats off if it will make it sound better as well as perform. But we have strict emissions here. I here about everyone on this forum about taking off there cats, and some of them I know have to have some sort of emissions testing.
10300P1010002-med.JPG

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe 2000 and up, if you remove the cats without installing O2 sims, you will get a check engine light. Beautiful car Twinturbo! :2tu:

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe 2000 and up, if you remove the cats without installing O2 sims, you will get a check engine light. Beautiful car Twinturbo! :2tu:
I take it O2 sims means (oyxgen simulator?) how do I go about doing this and what do I need to do is it worth it in the performance aspect, sound pretty damn good the way it is, But If I will gain a sustantial amount of hp and torque I will do it. Thanks for the complimant :D