Gas Cap Latch

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Throwing this out there as a long shot. I was dissembling my gas cap cover and while tapping out the pin that connects the base of the cap to the latch, the latch piece shattered into a few pieces. So before I go try to find a used one or buy a MGW one I was wondering if anyone had a junked cap that the latch was still in one piece. Thanks!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'll ask around...noting that this has happened before...especially when sending the unit out to be chrome plating.

OP
OP
S

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I can't believe how brittle the aluminum that made up the latch was. Two hits of a drift punch on the pin and it just fell apart. I don't really like the MGW replacement due to the sneaky pete logo on it, and they won't make one without it and I don't like the price of buying a used one on ebay and the price of a new one is scary. If I can't find a latch I'll probably go ahead and get a MGW one.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I can't believe how brittle the aluminum that made up the latch was. Two hits of a drift punch on the pin and it just fell apart. I don't really like the MGW replacement due to the sneaky pete logo on it, and they won't make one without it and I don't like the price of buying a used one on ebay and the price of a new one is scary. If I can't find a latch I'll probably go ahead and get a MGW one.

At first I didn't like the MGW one either, but eventually it grew on me and I bought it. I love it, and would never go back to a stock one now. Really stands out on the car in a good way with great detail. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throwing this out there as a long shot. I was dissembling my gas cap cover and while tapping out the pin that connects the base of the cap to the latch, the latch piece shattered into a few pieces. So before I go try to find a used one or buy a MGW one I was wondering if anyone had a junked cap that the latch was still in one piece. Thanks!

I have one. Am at the track for the weekend. Will check garage on Monday and get back to you.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe some have used stainless steel bolts to replace teh pins int eh cap adn latch. Do a search, but it was posted here a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
S

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not the pins. It's the actual aluminum latch parth. The gas cap breaks down into three pieces, the base, the cover, and the latch. My latch basically crumbled around the pin where it connects to the base.

happy56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone else has a complete gas cap assembly for sale I am interested. Just bought black gts and want to powder coat one black.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been considering replacing mine with a new one. I powder coated it black last year. The pins are now stainless hardware. Opens and latches fine and looks great. would pull it off the car for 250.00

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS