Gas cap revival

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clearcoat was coming off of my gas cap. I dissassembled and sanded it off, with the intention of polishing the aluminum to a chrome look again, but in the process I noticed that the "brushed" aluminum look actually appealed to me more. I did break the lousy cast latch when I tried to reassemble, so I bought a similar cap for Shelby Mustangs off ebay for $175, and swapped latches.

Made sure to sand in specific directions to give everything a nice flow. I'm really happy with the end look.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What material is the gas cap made of? Is it aluminum? Steel? Without the clearcoat, I would be concerned about corrosion or rust if it is steel.

OP
OP
M

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, gonna have to keep it clean and polish it up every once in a while. No biggie. I have to do the same with my wheels.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quit being a tight-*** and buy a MGW high polished cover it is awesome! You need to get a red/black sneaky Pete version it would look bad ***!!!

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How in the hell do you guys get your gas cap off? I bought a MGW cap but cannot get the old one off. Plus I want to send my stock one in to get it chromed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
BTW, I do like that look you have going on with your cap.

OP
OP
M

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quit being a tight-*** and buy a MGW high polished cover it is awesome! You need to get a red/black sneaky Pete version it would look bad ***!!!

Everyone obviously has different opinions... I know lots of people here love the MGW gas caps, but personally, I don't like em at all. Waaay too much bling for me. :) Chrome AND the addition of yet another Viper logo on a Viper. I know they have black too, but you still have to have the emblem, and black would really ruin the whole point of the GTS's gas cap anyhow. It's supposed to look like a race car, and those are traditionally aluminum.

Anyhow, to each his own. I'm just splainin why I didn't spring for the MGW cap.

OP
OP
M

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How in the hell do you guys get your gas cap off? I bought a MGW cap but cannot get the old one off. Plus I want to send my stock one in to get it chromed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
BTW, I do like that look you have going on with your cap.

This perplexed me for a while too. It's really very simple. Unbolt it, then pull and twist. Might spray just a little WD40 on the rubber ring that surrounds the metal fuel tube. It holds the gas cap on. If you get a little lube in there, it'll be easier to pull off.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This perplexed me for a while too. It's really very simple. Unbolt it, then pull and twist. Might spray just a little WD40 on the rubber ring that surrounds the metal fuel tube. It holds the gas cap on. If you get a little lube in there, it'll be easier to pull off.
I have not tried twisting as I pull the old one off but I am more afraid of pulling really hard. I don't want to damage something or worse yet pull the filler tube off of the gas tank. I will try again tonight and use some sort of lube.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that looks great! You could clear it if you're worried about oxidization, go with a matte finnish clear. Of course, over time it'll end up like it was before you started. There is some stuff out there called shark skin or something like that (anyone?) that will not chip/flake.