Gas Guzzler Tax????

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got this weeks Autoweek and in the blurb about the new GTO it states that the gas guzzler tax applies to cars that have a combined city and highway fuel economy of less than 22.5 mpg. I could have swore that my sticker said the viper had better mileage than that. Can someone confirm this?

Brad

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think so Brad.

<SARCASM>But be happy knowing that the $3,500 gas guzzler tax does SOOOOOOOOO much good for the environment and road improvements. </SARCASM>

Lawboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmm.....sounds interesting.
wink.gif

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it applied to cars under 12 mpg in the city but i am not positive.

OP
OP
B

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chuck, I didn't say I GOT better mileage
supergrin.gif
just that I thought it could get better. And even though I just love sending the government my taxes because they have such worthwhile programs going on, I think we've been ripped off, maybe Lawboy will start a class action suit for us so we can win a coupon for a free oil change. No flames just observation.

Brad

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you you how much of the price of gas is taxes??? I want to say it's roughly half. That is rediculous! I can't believe we donate 10 or 12 bucks every time we fill up and still have to pay another several grand just to buy the damned car. This really pissed me off when I looked at these things. You guys just brought out my bitterness.
mad.gif
pissed.gif
mad.gif
pissed.gif
mad.gif
pissed.gif
mad.gif

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Carrot, you think that's bad? Here in Oregon they are taxing the hybrid cars to make up for the lost gasoline tax revenue due to their good mileage. Now THOSE guys have a reason to feel screwed!

--- Ken

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Lawboy can answer this one......

Do we pay TAX on the gas TAX?

If the $3,000 is built into the sticker, do we still pay luxury tax on it? What about sales tax?

I thought double taxation was forbidden????

OP
OP
B

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steelgts

So does that web site say how the number is calculated? Based on a sticker of 12 and 21 mpg, if you divide the total in half you average 16.5 which would mean $3000 in gas guzzler tax which is what we paid. But this doesn't make sense because I have never paid this tax on any other car I have ever bought and I'm sure some of them would fall into one of these ranges.

I don't believe a car with 16 city and 27 highway would pay gas guzzler, but based on this table it averages out to 21.5 and a $1000 tax would apply. This doesn't sound right. I repeat, I THINK WE'VE BEEN SCREWED.

Brad

Tom, cant make it this weekend will be out of town. Bummer

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's have a Viper Teaparty! Taxation without representation! I'm not sure if it fits, but it sure sounds fun! Uncle Sam aint no uncle of mine! Bastages!
pissed.gif
usa-clear-s.gif
pissed.gif

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'll be there ......... so long as its a LongIsland Tea party
smile.gif

Seriously though I'm always up for stirring the ****, and a tax fight is the best way to do it...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JusSumFastGi:
What about all these SUV's runnig around? I never have looked at buying one. Do they pay?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SUVs have been exempt.

Bill (I'll let you have the last word - yeah right) O'Reilly has been pushing for higher taxes on gas guzzlers.

As much as I hate SUVs I hate taxes more and don't wish them on anybody regardless of fairness.

SnakeBolt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just like to say that my Lightning gets HORRIBLE gas mileage - i think i remember a test and at the track they were getting mid-single digit numbers. Even on the highway i get prob. 18mpg. I don't recall NEW lightning purchasers having to pay GG tax.......