Gauges for S/C

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of assembling the ancillary pieces for a Paxton install in the upcoming months. I would like my gauges to match the OEM gauges (speedo, tach etc.) On the AutoMeter site, they have an "Ultra-Lite" and "Ultra-Lite II" series that seem to be pretty close to what I'm looking for. Anyone have these specific gauges? Can someone knowledgeable explain mechanical vs. electrical (pluses/minuses of each?) :D

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used both. They both look quite good.

Depending on the gauge, the answer to "mechanical vs. full sweep electrical" is different.

example: fuel pressure: if you use a mechanical gauge, you need to keep the gauge outside the car else fuel will be in the engine compartment. bad. good choice for full sweep electrical.

For boost (which is probably what you want), the mechanical uses a hook up direct to a vaccume line whereas the electric uses a MAP sensor. Other than "peak memory" and a "max" light, there are no differences.

the "phantom" series is also nice.

but if you are just getting a boost gauge, an ultralight mechanical is a good choice. the electrical can be more trouble than they are worth.

JD

Reaction score
Phantom is nice:

2IMGP0097.JPG

I'll make you a good deal on a Carbon one!! :)

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These "Ultra-Lite" and "Ultra-Lite II" gauges look nice during day but during night they look like if they came from a 20 years old Dodge spirit.

Unfortuantely I have these gauges they work fine but I would not buy them again ... Try to look for something more "fancy". There are a lot of new gauges with better look.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Blitz make great gauges.

I would rather buy a Blitz gauge with a little "Honda Civic" look that an ATM gauge again.

ATM gauges work precisely but the night look .... :(

OP
OP
F

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll look into the Blitz gauges. Good info, JD! Anyone else with pics or recommendations please post them up! :2tu:

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phantom is nice:

2IMGP0097.JPG

I'll make you a good deal on a Carbon one!! :)

Where can I find this mount or one for the windsheld pillar for an '06?

Vipermad, any chance getting a pic that shows the guage and mount from the driving view to see how much visability of the speedo is lost?

Thanks

Reaction score
I'll try. Post Thanksgiving here so we're drinking the left-over wines. :) I'd take a pic of the pod....but I'd probably end up taking a pic of something in the garage you DON'T want to see!! LOL!

I can tell you, though, that below 35-40MPH I have no visibility of the end of the needle. I can ALWAYS see a portion of the needle, and, after almost 8 years of the darn car, I can pretty muctell where I am speed-wise by a quick glance of the part I CAN see.....and the tach. :)

Joseph Dell gave me the tip on this pod. It is offset. 1MEANSNAKE (Mike) on the boards sells one that is centered and likely provides a bit more vis. :)

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermad, Thanks for the reply, hey, don't worry about the pick, just thought you might have one already. Any idea of the gauge number in the picture, I can't find anything that looks like it on the Autometer site..

Thanks

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks,

I was looking for the PN for the gauge pictured, not the mounting pod. Note that the gauge pictured has a relatively wide sweep that reads 10psi which is exactly what I want with a 8psi car. I don't see anything on the AM site like it.

John

Reaction score
I have had them both and the MBX also has a better fit.

Nothing against Mike, but I'd have to defer to Joseph Dell on this. He and I discussed the MBX pod and if I recall correctly it slips on OVER the existing stocker.....whereas the pod I have is a direct replacement (with one or two minor tweaks to make it truly bolt-on).

Mind you, I have no had my hands on Mike's, and the design could very well have changed. If that is the case, having the gauge in the middle is really a better choice!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used both of them. In fact, I own them both!

I like Mike's in that it just slips over the original piece, whereas the Autometer piece is a replacement piece for the top of the console. And, sadly, since it was designed for a truck and not a viper, its screw holes don't mate up.

In one of the two most recent current interiors, i have the MBX piece with a different shift light (raptor) which is a bit smaller. In fact, i find the raptor almost too small for my racing habits. So I may go back to the autometer shift light.

IMG_5370.JPG

but as for the pod, Mike's design is a pretty good one.

overall, which am i happier with? I think the MBX. But I temporarily pulled the MBX unit out b/c the AEM 19 channel gauge serial has a bezel which sticks out sooooooo far that it was contacting the steering column from the pod. even grinding the bezel down, it didn't fit. so i went back to stock and went w/ an autometer gaugepod (single). I'd really like an a-pillar pod though for the RT/10 (mike... where are you on this one?? still 2 more weeks?? :p )

And for those that think the interior is a bit much, i've temporarily removed the laptop stand in the passenger seat. :)

JD

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, great thread. On the Autometer electric ATM-4301 gauge, what drives it? I'd like to find a simple mechanical vac/boose gauge with simular sweep and limits, perhaps 10-15psi with a wide arch.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JohnK - eletric gauges use a 2-bar or 3-bar MAP sensor.

Douggy - It is great to hear from you! I love that gauge!!! I'll track you down for parts sometime!

JD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutritionkgzexoti