Geico Insurance

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought I'd pass along my good fortune.

I rec'd a mass mailing from Geico (my present carrier) suggesting that their rates often go down and I should go to their site and check out their quote engine.

Well, I did and achieved a new quote that was 31% less than my present premium. Note that you must indicate that you are NOT a present policy holder to get a "new customer" quote (lie). After I called them they rechecked my quote and came back with a "real quote" of 27% off my present policy! Not exactly what I was able to get....but HECK, that's a BIG savings!

All you Geico users might want to see what's up!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is Geico still supplying radar units to police departments? They did that around 15 years ago and I swore off using them solely because of that. State Farm has always done well by me, and has always been cheaper, for that matter.

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't recall if they still provide radar units to police, but they are still lobbying to get radar detectors banned. That's why I use State Farm as well.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geico is double any other insurance provider, I dont know if its my area or what but they want 14k for insurance per year.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Geico is the top lobbier for anti-speeder rights, but State
Farm is the biggest supplier to highway patrols in the US right
now. Sad fact is that all insurance companies support law
enforcement - by giving cops better radar guns and new technologies
they can arrest more people and in turn - those people get
higher rates. There is one company in England trying to mandate
photo speed camera violations as pointable offenses - once
cameras can raise your insurance rates how long do you think it
will take allstate to have them on every street corner in America.

City - not raining on your parade, but make sure you know what
you're getting with that 31% drop. Gieco made a similar claim to
me a few years back but I discovered to get the savings I would
need to drop about $350,000 in total coverage AND accept lower
tolerances on replacemtn parts/services.

OP
OP
C

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...

My post wasn't to spark a debate about insurance. My choice to insure with Geico is simply because they WILL insure a Viper in NYC and will do so at a reasonable rate. State Farm won't even offer coverage at any price. My only comment about car insurance is that premiums seem to be highly sensitive to location.

I posted simply because my premium (roughly $2,800 a year for 2 cars) was reduced simply by pricing a new policy over Geico's website (reduced to roughly $2,090). That's certainly worth the 1/2 hour it took me to process the quote and call to confirm! The reason my telephonic premium confirmation was slightly higher than the web quote was because I was unaware that that I am of certain extra coverage that I am presently carrying. When they precisely matched my present coverage, the premium rose just a bit.

Chuck's offended by small breasts.....so one needs to keep his comments in proper context. ;)

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care what they give to the Police.....they saved me 1100 a year on 5 vehicles including the Viper from what I was paying to Nationwide (which for 20 years were ALWAYS lower than any of the other big companies.

I might try that online calculator to see what it shows.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geico is double any other insurance provider, I dont know if its my area or what but they want 14k for insurance per year.

:falls over dead of a heartattack: Before I die for real, are you by any chance trying to insure 17 Enzo's, 21 Diablos, 32 Vipers, 14 Hummers, 45 Porsche Boxsters and a turbo VW bug??

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:falls over dead of a heartattack: Before I die for real, are you by any chance trying to insure 17 Enzo's, 21 Diablos, 32 Vipers, 14 Hummers, 45 Porsche Boxsters and a turbo VW bug??

Probably just one Bugatti Veyron.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had State Farm for all my cars and homeowner's insurance. As long as you don't ever file a claim they are happy to have you as a client.

After a homeowner's insurance issue I canceled my auto insurance and switched to Safeco. The change has saved me over $600/yr in auto insurance premiums alone. My Safeco agent says it probably has something to do with my extremely high credit score. He says he can't even get my rate.

I'll check out the Geico link.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Perfect record, 2 drivers for 5 cars.

No cars exceed 80k in value.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Might be the credit rating then :eek: LOL

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They're betting the two drivers will somehow try to drive all 5 cars at the same time. We know how dangerous that can be. :rolleyes:

Insurance is such a scam.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to try Geico again. Sounds like good savings. Although, they wouldn't acknowledge me after my last court appearance 5 years ago when I was speeding 105 mph, reckless driving, following too close and failure to pull over :eek: . It has been 5 years maybe Geico forgot :D . I have USAA for all of my insurance and their rates are very, very good. Will have to compare with Geico.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're betting the two drivers will somehow try to drive all 5 cars at the same time. We know how dangerous that can be. :rolleyes:

So true. It sure helps them out when the state makes it a law too.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep... that's why car insurance should be state controlled... the rates should be the same for ALL insurance companies for basic coverage, and the companies can compete for extended coverages. Won't happen though. The insurance companies give waaaay too much money to the politicians.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep... that's why car insurance should be state controlled... the rates should be the same for ALL insurance companies for basic coverage, and the companies can compete for extended coverages. Won't happen though. The insurance companies give waaaay too much money to the politicians.
It's the uninsured that's responsible for the high premiums. Someone's gotta pay for the insurance company to be in business and that happens to be us!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't recall if they still provide radar units to police, but they are still lobbying to get radar detectors banned. That's why I use State Farm as well.

Really? I learn something new everyday. That is pretty ironic to say the least.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No joke, it was the same for myself as well and that was under my parents!! I have heard good rates for some people and bad ones for others and you would think this would have something to do with their records but hardly ever does. Who knows. Congrats Scott on getting a MUCH lower premium!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the uninsured that's responsible for the high premiums. Someone's gotta pay for the insurance company to be in business and that happens to be us!

I wonder. Why wouldn't it be like any other industry - supply/demand? What the customer is willing to pay?

I've never seen my premiums go down because there weren't as many claims as the previous year, but I sure have seen them go up.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wonder. Why wouldn't it be like any other industry - supply/demand? What the customer is willing to pay?

I've never seen my premiums go down because there weren't as many claims as the previous year, but I sure have seen them go up.

Very substantiated point! Supposedly with Progressive or is it AllState, the accident forgiveness should take care of the high premiums as long as you are not involved in an accident. I am still very skeptical though.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It's the uninsured that's responsible for the high
premiums. Someone's gotta pay for the insurance company to
be in business and that happens to be us!

A buddy of mine had a great idea for controlling insurance -
tax gas for government controlled liability-only coverage.
Everyone has to have gas to drive and 99% of the time the
consumption. People with revoked licenses, vehicles that
haven't been tagged since Carter was in office, people from
out of the country, even situtions like I'm in where I need
to drive a truck that hasn't been on the road in over two
years - we'd all be covered.

Then you're only paying for the car your operating. THEN if
you want additional insurance you pay for that through good
old competitive rates.

Bonus - people who couldn't care what they drive will surge
towards Priuss...Priuseses...Priui... ... ... Insights and
people who want to drive their Zondas everyday won't have to
worry about where they're getting converage.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That has nothing to do with what I said. Sure, uninsured drivers and insurance fraud is the 2 biggest reasons for high insurance costs. I'm referring to why two different companies can have such a huge difference in their price for the same coverage? Because it's mandatory, there should be a flat rate for basic coverage. Simple. The uninsured should have their cars taken and the frauds locked up for a long time.