Gen 1 ('94) stereo/speaker swap - as simple as it can be

BadAndy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi folks. Been searching the forum, haven't come up with a good answer yet so here goes. I'm going to be having some work done on the interior of my '94. While they're at it, I figured I'd have them do the radio and speaker replacement. My cassette player just isn't cutting it anymore. There are some issues with the existing stock setup and I'd just as well have it all replaced with new now that it's almost 20 years old.

My problem... I'd like to find something as close to what's there now with the fewest modifications as possible and just swap things as easily as possible. New radio can have fancy cd player and a input jack for MP3 might be nice. Other than that, simpler the better. I'm going to go to a local shop and see what they might recommend, but I'm not sure how accurate they'll be without tearing into it and they wouldn't be doing the work anyhow. The interior folks I trust and they'll get local/audio help if needed. I'm just trying to keep it simple and effective.

Anyone have any suggestions for "plug and play" on this subject? Thanks....Andy

Jmch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would think most radio install places should be able to use a harness adaptor instead of cutting and splicing as long as its a name brand radio. you just have to buy a jumper harness.

OP
OP
B

BadAndy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Upon further review... I decided to consult with a local audio shop. It appears more complicated than it first appeared. I think I'm going to let the audio shop have at it first, then have the interior done afterwards. Coming out of storage this weekend. New sound then new duds. Can't wait.

Kraaken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did my entire system in my 94. No cutting mods or anything...... There is a harness specifically for the old setup to plug directly into a newer head unit. I'll take pics and show you the final later. I used alpine head unit and all speakers.

The original speakers in there are 5 1/4 " I believe but they can take 5 1/2-6" without changing anything drastic. Since your doing it all you might as well have them replace the old amps in the trunk which only give you about 17 watts per channel. Replace it with a larger same make amp. 4 channels with all of the adjustment dials. Replace the RC cables and power cables.

Like I said I used alpine all around. The head unit has Bluetooth pandora iPod cd ect. I get about 75 watts per channel and replaced all of e speakers including the tweeters. Sounded amazing but it was missing the bottom end bass to complete the quality.

Kicker makes a subwoofer called the hideaway. It is about 2 1/2-3" tall and maybe a foot long. Fits behind the passenger seat and is a self contained sub with amp and everything ready to be wired. It's not going to be thumping like ricer but it gives your the low end sound and completes it. I love it all and even with the top off on the highway I can enjoy my music.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog