Gen 1 - Foglights and cig liter don't work...

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 - Foglights and cig liter don\'t work...

Just as the title says, I got in my car today and the fog lights and cig lighter have no power to them. I took off my dash cover and everything is still plugged in tight. any ideas on how to fix this?

thanks

Scott :usa:

OP
OP
D

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Gen 1 - Foglights and cig liter don\'t work...

I was out for a drive tonight and now I'm having somethign else going on, when I have my headlights on, them try to turn on my brights, the brights won't "click" on, they only stay on when I'm holding the lever down. where it gets wierd is when I hold the lever down for the brights, my cig lighter starts working???? my V1 lit right up ! I'm totally stumped ! I'll check the fuse anyways. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated ! by the way, I have never had any problems like this before and while my car was away for winter, it was on a battery tender. it looks like the voltage of the battery is good so i'm not thinking its the battery......

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bummer.

Fuse 7 feeds the cigar lighter directly and also a headlamp relay. The relay closes when the headlights are turned on, powering the fog switch to allow the fog lights on. That's the connection between the two and why I thought it might be a simply fuse.

The dimmer turns on the high beam at the same time as turning off the fog lights. Legally the maximum is four white bulbs facing forward, so low beams are on all the time, fogs go out when high beam comes on.

The cigar lighter feed is direct (through fuse 7) from the jumper post outside the driver foot box; doesn't go through any switch. And it then goes directly to ground, so anything plugged into the lighter stays on 100% of the time.

If the dimmer switch is turning on the cigar lighter, then that is weird. Perhaps there is a bad ground somewhere and the dimmer is engaging one, so everything comes on.

It would seem you have a bad dimmer switch, but first I would try to figure out why the cigar lighter is not on 100% of the time. The red wire should be plugged into the middle, the black wire clipped on the side (when looking at the back.) The red wire should have 12V even when engine is off, the black wire should should continuity to ground.

OP
OP
D

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

the red wire is connected to the center and the black ground to the side. where are the fuses??? :bonker:

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fuse 7 also supplys 12 volts to the high beam headlamp relay. If it is blown the high beams won't stay on. I had this problem when I was getting my state inspection. I had to go home and figure out what the problem was.Sure glad I had a service manuel and wiring diagram. I think the fuse will solve all of your problems. Mine were the same.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The fusebox is above the passenger left knee. Use a flashlight, I think the box has numbered the fuse locations.

service manual

Can get them for ~40ish if you hunt.

OP
OP
D

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks so much for all the help !

i really appreciate it.

by the way, it was fuse #7.

Scott

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang