Gen 1 hood rubbing on air box.

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen 1 hood is rubbing on the air box and I'm not sure how to fix it. I raised the rear hood latches as far as they would go and it's still rubbing. Any ideas.

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine does it too. I keep a small piece of packing foam on that corner of the airbox...... These early vipers are a small step from kit-cars. Make do and love it for what it is, IMO.

-Cheers

OP
OP
S

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought about doing that but, I was concerned about stressing the hood. I know it's rubbing on a support on not directly on the hood.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search and maybe reach out to JonB. My 3K mile '94 developed a hairline crack around the vent cover back in 96 because of that. Fortunately I got a new hood under waranttee (as did a few other folks). Can't remember what they did to correct but I think there is some kind of fix for that box. find a real fix before you get a crack in the hood. Mike

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
could have slipped down during normal driving. pay attention to the breaking lines around the hood adjacent to the doors and bumper. look for fresh marks around bolts for movement.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of mine had this problem many years ago. (I can't remember if it was a former or current car..0so YMMV.)

Look between the airbox and the engine. The airbox is retained to a bracket by a pair of screws/bolts. The bracket has slots that allow some verticle adjustment. Loosen them, push the box down and tighten. Worked for mine.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a fit/finish problem. You can tweek the hood catch on the pass. side if you like also.... Raise it just a hair or two. I found that a small foam pad on the underside of the hood there works just fine to keep the parts from rubbing but yours looks a bit worse than mine...

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If " you can't lower the bridge, lower the river" is there anyway to lower the height on the air box ?? I think it just snaps on ? Been a long while since I looked at mine ....just a thought....my $.02

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
past ohio....read my post above It explains how to (pardon my shouting) LOWER the airbox.

And, surely you mean "raise the bridge"?

OP
OP
S

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of mine had this problem many years ago. (I can't remember if it was a former or current car..0so YMMV.)

Look between the airbox and the engine. The airbox is retained to a bracket by a pair of screws/bolts. The bracket has slots that allow some verticle adjustment. Loosen them, push the box down and tighten. Worked for mine.

Thanks Matt I did what you said and it worked.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960