Gen 1 side windows

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok guys, I did a search on this with out much luck. For the love of God, I can not get the side windows of my Gen 1 to latch. I have an Auto Form top and side windows, and I recently aquired a set of Viper Mania windows. Neither set will lock in place no matter what I do. Is there a special trick? I tried to insert them all kinds of ways and it is getting very frusterating. My car only has 4K miles on it(bought it a few months ago with 3K) so I don't think any thing inside the door is bent, but I guess you never know. Is there any thing special about removing the door panel? This is my next step I guess if I can't figure out how to latch these things. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are referring to the slots in the door not grabbing the window's pointed tabs with notch?

A not so gentle push down and then more significant tug towards the rear of the car should do it. Keeping the front of the window pressed down a little while going rearward usually helps.

On another more finicky window I was successful by pushing down and rearward to get the tabs to catch. At least you can feel if the tabs are catching or not.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that it helps to give the windows a good tap by hand, from the front end of the window, after they sort of snap in and down, it seems to help them lock them into place. Also, the Viper Mania windows do mention in their instructions that you can file down the notch a bit on the bayonet to help them "catch" into the door pin pockets. Refer to their instructions for how to do this please. Mine are buried away somewhere now, but I I think that I remember that the bayonets could be filed a bit, then checked for proper fit, and if needed, filed down a bit more until you get a good fit every time. Just don't file them down too much, it's hard to put those little filings back on the bayonets after they have been filed away!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960