Gen 2 Auto Trans

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How difficult is it to install an automatic trans in a Gen 2 or 3?

Our family really enjoys all the Viper Club event, i.e. cruises, gatherings, car shows; but all can't drive stick. Some of the members would love to drive a Viper in and to the events but too late to learn stick, especially in a Viper.

I have a "His", now I need a "Hers". Any input please. Thanks

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming you're not being ironic.:D It's not impossible, I remember seeing one for sale that was set up with an auto for other reasons. Having just crawled out from under my GTS, I don't know if there's room for one. What convertor to use...need a cooler...what shifter, will something fit the console without hacking it up...who else is going to want to drive it after it's got an auto:dunno:...all questions you'll need answered.
I think that it's never too late to learn, and a whole lot easier than converting to auto. Get a ****** with a stick and go from there.

IMO, it's heresy, you'll find a lot of others who feel the same way about it.

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Asp Man - thanks for looking under the GTS and answering. Trust me, it's better I try and get an auto installed then teaching them stick. I truly beleive that only experience drivers, who know how to drive stick well, should be driving these powerful machines. Too much for them to think about. An auto would be best for them (and kind of cool to have). Thinking of doing it to a Gen 2, 2001 RT/10

I heard one dealer tell he that they had one installed once. Can't believe that someone else hasn't done this already.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at pics in public profiles and happened on a pic that appears to be an automatic in a Gen 4 ACR. Check it out at 'mjorgensen' 'Woodhouse shots'. It looks like they did some frame mods.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC performance has done a few and i know underground racing has done a few as well. UGR's were for racing i think but im sure they can help you out or give yo some pointers.

there was a silver 98 with an auto for sale a while back on ebay.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering about the same thing when I saw an auto trans. out of a Viper truck for sale. SHOULD bolt right up. Just need to fab. a new trans bracket mount to lower the trans. a bit and possibly modify the driveshaft.
No big deal, right?......

:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

Wish it was that easy...

1TONY1 swaps an auto trans in and out of his car depending on the race event he is doing. i seem to remember a charity event he did and he used the auto trans for the 1/8 mile. Maybe he will jump on here.

The majority of the record setting Vipers run auto transmissions
too...:dunno:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than finding a tranny that fits, the hard part is mating the bellhousing to the engine. you'll need an adapter plate of some sort since most of the autos are set-up with a chevy input shaft and for chevy bolt patterns.

Powerglide: fits with the correct case
Turbo 400: cut some of the passenger seat steel, make it fit, re-weld. Not terrible. But not plug-and-play
Others: Most require some modification to fit.

The biggest issue is that adapter plate. you need one.

The guy that supplies many of the auto transmissions for vipers: John Donato.

And of course, the tuners have done them.

Expect to pay 7-14k for a conversion... and that is if you are doing it yourself! A good race set-up will run you 10k when all is said and done for a DIY person... and that is w/o an overdrive gear in a powerglide.

good luck!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever try a 68RFE transmission? It was originally intended to be mated to the 8.4L and has a torque capacity of 650 ft lbs (conservative OEM) along with 6 speeds. It replaced the 48RE in the larger diesels.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auto would be a half second faster at the strip! I've been looking for a combo that doesn't require hacking the passenger frame and floor. PG with adapter will fit but you only have a 2 spd. I wonder if anyone put a Gear Vendors OD behind a PG? That might fit.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Auto would be a half second faster at the strip! I've been looking for a combo that doesn't require hacking the passenger frame and floor. PG with adapter will fit but you only have a 2 spd. I wonder if anyone put a Gear Vendors OD behind a PG? That might fit.

There are more than 2 speeds if you add an OD...

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hennessy did one some time ago and I know UGR did one late or early this year. it can be done. Not sure on price through but wont be cheap.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy a new vette for your wife, she'll like it more than the viper and be able to enjoy it all the time. (not just to show up to the VCA events as a poser)

Buying a Viper and neutering it for your wife is just Wrong, IMO

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just buy a new vette for your wife, she'll like it more than the viper and be able to enjoy it all the time. (not just to show up to the VCA events as a poser)

Buying a Viper and neutering it for your wife is just Wrong, IMO
I agree with this thought. The only situation that warrants such a conversion (beyond those for strictly drag racing) is if the person has a disability and an automatic is the only way to enjoy a Viper. Having manual only Vipers sets the Viper apart.

JeffTheViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny to find this post - I just found a 2000 Viper RT/10 roaster on Ebay that matches the color scheme of my 2000 GTS exactly. I made a joke to my wife about buying it for her and having "HISSSS" and "HERSSSS" Vipers. First comment she makes? "But I want an automatic."

You guys have to remember one thing though. Which is worse - putting an auto into a Viper and ******* off the Viper community, or refusing to do so... ...and ******* off the wife!!!

Some guys do crazy things just to keep from sleeping on the couch... :)

Jeff

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's funny to find this post - I just found a 2000 Viper RT/10 roaster on Ebay that matches the color scheme of my 2000 GTS exactly. I made a joke to my wife about buying it for her and having "HISSSS" and "HERSSSS" Vipers. First comment she makes? "But I want an automatic."

You guys have to remember one thing though. Which is worse - putting an auto into a Viper and ******* off the Viper community, or refusing to do so... ...and ******* off the wife!!!

Some guys do crazy things just to keep from sleeping on the couch... :)

Jeff

Have to admit, the man has a point!

You stock Viper guys may also not like the automatic being a half second faster than the 6 spd. Half second is equivalent to 50hp extra.

I have no problem with someone customizing their car to make it Perfect - for them. That's what makes our cars perfect, they are exactly what we want, not what someone else wants us to have.

Ted

Ryan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't be easier, less painful, and not to mention cheaper. To just tell the wife that they (Dodge) never made a Viper with an automatic. Teach her how to use a manual gearbox. Better yet, have a friend teach her. There will be a lot less drama having a friend teach her the basics, then you take over and train on the fine points.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In case of the Gen 3, can't you just slap the tranny from a Ram SRT-10 quad cab on like treesnake suggested and be done with it in a dead-easy way or does it still require frame mods?

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Automatic mods cost huge $ if done properly. Think 25-30 K... Your car will be cut up so the auto will fit. Lots of fab work. The Woodhouse Gen III with the pushbutton shifter was about $32k from what I was told.

Because of a severe knee problem I am currently working on a clutchless manual, that uses my own T-56 transmission. If I manage to pull this off, I'll post it.

The Viper truck tranny won't work in our cars.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Automatic mods cost huge $ if done properly. Think 25-30 K... Your car will be cut up so the auto will fit. Lots of fab work. The Woodhouse Gen III with the pushbutton shifter was about $32k from what I was told.

Because of a severe knee problem I am currently working on a clutchless manual, that uses my own T-56 transmission. If I manage to pull this off, I'll post it.

The Viper truck tranny won't work in our cars.

Kala,
Do you have any updates on your clutcless manual as yet?
I am thinking of getting another Viper so the wife and I can cruise with the Vipers like we do with our '70 Roadrunners.

Does this system work with a computer like the highway truck tractors?

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kala,
Do you have any updates on your clutcless manual as yet?
I am thinking of getting another Viper so the wife and I can cruise with the Vipers like we do with our '70 Roadrunners.

Does this system work with a computer like the highway truck tractors?
The technology is available... Just out of my reach at the moment. We are close but no cigar :crazy2:

The very same system is being installed on Z-06 and ZR1 vettes... I have heard they are testing it for Bowling Green, it may become an "option" soon. Which isn't good news for Viper owners.

There is also another company that I tried really hard to get into... They have a T-56 clutchless, paddle shifting version that cuts seconds off of road courses... They are focusing on mass production cars this year. They may go back into our market if the economy gets better next year.

I'm not sure what the system is on the big rigs? Are they sequential?

I wish I had better news for you. It can be done. The parts already exist. They just need to be slightly modified to work with a Viper...

I'm not giving up yet, but its so frustrating, to be so close, yet so far at the same time... :crying:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a simple 2-speed powerglide conversion that requires no cutting. Talk to John Donato about it and you can do this whole thing for under 10k.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang