Gen 2 pcm and engine harness.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am putting a GEN 1 engine in a project car. I'd like to use a GEN 2 pcm and harness because of it's more streamline approach and availability. I've looked at the GEN 1 and 2 setups and it looks like just the post cat o2's are different. It would also allow me to use an AEM ECU if I wanted.
Will this work?
Thanks.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am putting a GEN 1 engine in a project car. I'd like to use a GEN 2 pcm and harness because of it's more streamline approach and availability. I've looked at the GEN 1 and 2 setups and it looks like just the post cat o2's are different. It would also allow me to use an AEM ECU if I wanted.
Will this work?
Thanks.

I got one even better for you. The 96RT10(GenI)can give you what you want. It is the OBDII or as chrysler calls it a JTEC. AEM sells a unit that will fit the 96RT10(GenI but OBDII) so keep your stock harness from your GenI motor and use the connecting harness(connects at motor and goes bact to ECM) for a 96RT10. The 96's are the only year where you can get both. GenI+OBDII Hope that helps

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What viprtrt96 Said is correct.

The 96 RT/10 wiring harness is unique, in that it routes to a Gen 1 engine, and a Gen 2 computer which that car has (OBD II)

Don't know about the AEM unit, but if you can get a 96 RT/10 (NOT 96 GTS) wiring harness, then you can direct wire a Gen 1 engine with a Gen 2 computer.

Later,