gen 2 radiator question

Qzing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 98 rt10 and the radiator was damaged. it somehow got dented in right by the drain plug and has a small leak. I found a used oem radiator for sale. My question is, should I stay with oem or just buy a new radiator from rsi or another manufacturer. I have heard some have had issues with the "upgraded aluminum" radiators

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that you find a competent, experienced shop and ask them to rebuild it...if possible. We have such a shop here in Indy...several satisfied Viper owners have used them. They rebuild to stock or to upgraded specs.

update: I should add that dave6666 has a ton of experience in this area, is an engineer, and a seasoned Viper guy. Dave has tried many types of radiators...and has done some excellent write-ups on the topic. Try a search using his name and search "radiator"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

Qzing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I appreciate it. What are these upgraded specs you speak of???

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I have an OEM radiator in great shape. $250. I also have an aftermarket aluminum one too. Either one will do the job for you. PM me.

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine started to leak a couple years ago and my mechanic strongly suggested getting my stock radiator re-cored vs. buying a new aftermarket aluminum radiator. He said the stock radiator with copper end tanks is more efficient than the aftermarket ones with aluminum end tanks. I went with his recommendation and re-cored tank works great on my H/C/I GTS.

blownrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug Levin installed a new radiator in m car before I bought it, it seems radiator problems are common he said.