Gen 3 Tansmsion clutch and Drive line question

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok so as far as I know right now I have lost second gear for sure. Car is in the shop now.

I am prob around 625 RWHP

So if I go back with an upgraded clutch and HRB setup from BBG, and an upgraded transmission prob a magnum from Rockland, then what is my next point of failure and if I stay at my current HP can my
stock rear and drive line handle it?

Thanks for any help or advice
Ryan

Also the stock clutch was ok but it does have 31K miles on it, so im going ahead and upgrading now. does anyone know the usable life of the stock clutch?

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your halfshafts will be next. Usable clutch life is 50k -150k. It depends on your driving style. Stock clutch is good for about 650 - 700 RWHP tops. With your power your clutch life may end sooner. Get a SPEC twin disk setup and call it a day. That clutch and flywheel is so light your engine will rev like a Ferrari.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run a triple disk clutch from BBG no issues also run OS Giken diff I broke both half shafts and a output shaft on the diff at different times. Your race you break its simple theory. These cars were not really designed for hard launches.

OP
OP
P

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Canyon.... how much HP are u running?

What half shafts do you run and output shaft?

Also may be a stupid question but what happens if I break a half shaft? When I lost second I could still limp my car I am assuming not so much if I lose a half shaft.
Just want to know what car feels like if it happens to me

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I ran a fairly stock motor. Just a few minor things that really didnt do much. The best was Dan Cragin computer tune, but even that didn't do a lot but it did cut a couple hundreds off my time. I ran later model half shafts since the stock 04 shafts were hollow shafts and had a sheer grove cut in them . They both broke. I guess they must have broken several so they made them solid The newer ones are solid steel. I have an OS Giken diff and broke of the output shaft on the passenger side. completely sheered in half. If you break a half shaft its wont go anywhere. When the shaft breaks it just free rev's. Most of the issues were launching the car off the line. There isn't much you can do because the back end is fairly weak and wheel hop is always an issue and there is NOTHING that you can do when it occurs except get off the throttle. I don't run this car anymore due to the weak rear end. I just enjoy the car for what it is. I have another car for racing that's built for the drags. I went back to the big block V8 440 with automatic and a dana 60 diff. these you really can't break. And parts are fairly cheap and a great selection of performance parts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32